Biden Administration to require facial recognition scan...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
...by the TSA before boarding commercial flights.

This is an opinion piece.

I don't fly... so it's moot for me.

But it's an interesting topic, security vs. privacy with future ramifications and government overreach added for flavor and color...

Wanting something is not requiring something.

I myself support ending the TSA completely.
From the article...

"In December, the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), an agency within Biden’s Department of Homeland Security, acknowledged it has significantly expanded facial recognition technology at security checkpoints in airports across the United States.

Under the expanded program, 16 of the nation’s largest airports are now using face scans as a way to verify the identities of travelers, including in Atlanta, Boston, Denver, and Los Angeles."

From the article...

"In December, the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), an agency within Biden’s Department of Homeland Security, acknowledged it has significantly expanded facial recognition technology at security checkpoints in airports across the United States.

Under the expanded program, 16 of the nation’s largest airports are now using face scans as a way to verify the identities of travelers, including in Atlanta, Boston, Denver, and Los Angeles."
Let’s hope not too many lawful citizens will
be misidentified as has happened before.

Relevant: Just read about a woman who was misidentified and jailed for the night, yet the police should’ve known it wasn’t the same woman they’d interviewed before who was the culprit and framed the innocent woman to take the fall. Well let’s see, we have video evidence to check to see if this female is telling us the truth, but let’s lock her up for the night before we check, even though she’s given us the other female’s name who she claims framed her. Yikes. At least one dullard in the mess or just lax.

But it's an interesting topic, security vs. privacy with future ramifications and government overreach added for flavor and color...

I would rather be identified by my face scan, while bording, than by my DNA after some terrorist the TSA people missed blew my plane out of the air. I have to show photo ID already for anything important. This would not bother me.

I would rather be identified by my face scan, while bording, than by my DNA after some terrorist the TSA people missed blew my plane out of the air. I have to show photo ID already for anything important. This would not bother me.
They are already using it to track your vehicle and where it travels.

Last edited:

I believe that ICE has used that technology when scanning incoming visitors and returning Americans when checking passports. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding. As for TSA using the technology to verify identities, I don't have a problem with it. Beyond ICE and TSA, naw.

I just can’t wait for my next plane trip… my facial birthmark causes havoc for these facial recognition units. They have no idea what they’re seeing.

I just can’t wait for my next plane trip… my facial birthmark causes havoc for these facial recognition units. They have no idea what they’re seeing.
Hmm, wonder why. Did you acquire the birthmark after your passport or ID photos?

Hmm, wonder why. Did you acquire the birthmark after your passport or ID photos?
No. I was born with it. A facial birthmark like mine actually acts like a barometer. It changes color slightly depending on barometric pressure and weather systems. Additionally, the birthmark grows/thickens slightly over time. This thickening actually changed the contours of my face, and I’ve had to have several surgeries over the years to reduce it.

No. I was born with it. A facial birthmark like mine actually acts like a barometer. It changes color slightly depending on barometric pressure and weather systems. Additionally, the birthmark grows/thickens slightly over time. This thickening actually changed the contours of my face, and I’ve had to have several surgeries over the years to reduce it.
I think the surgeries are the problem and can be overcome by a simple medical provider card stating that you had the surgery. I have one for my cataract surgery but I can't tell you if it affects facial recognition software or not.

I think the surgeries are the problem and can be overcome by a simple medical provider card stating that you had the surgery. I have one for my cataract surgery but I can't tell you if it affects facial recognition software or not
I’ve never had a major issue. The two or three times I’ve ever had to deal with facial recognition, they’ve accepted my passport, drivers license, work ID, and firearms license photos as sufficient proof that I am who I say I am. There are less than 25,000 people worldwide with this type of birthmark. It’s not like we can hide and claim we’re somebody else. :)

Forum List

Back