🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bidens 20 yr term limit on Supreme Court Justices would have an immediate effect on several members of the court .

if Biden succeeds in getting a 20 yr term limit on the SC it will have an immediate effect on several members of the court ..
Thomas a [republican appointee] and Breyer [ considered by many as a moderate although appointed by a Democrat ] would immediately effected as both have served well over 20yrs .. and then 2 more republican appointees Roberts and Alito would be within 1 to 2 yrs of serving their 20 yr term .. that's 3 republicans gone from the SC ! if Dems win in Nov they could replace 3 conservatives on the court with liberal justices !

Yep because Biden can totally get both houses to vote 2/3 in favor of this..... sarcasm

Yeah it's a dream and they're only considering it because it benefits them. The supreme Court operates just fine the way it is. I've seen the conservative justices vote on the side of liberality and I've seen the liberal justices vote on the side of conservatism. All in all the group that is there now functions the way it's supposed to.

The country is losing faith and trust in the SCOTUS. Once this happens there is no going back, one thing about SCOTUS is they have no power to enforce their rulings, they rely on We the People complying with them.

Having a basic code of ethics does not really seem a bad thing. Having them be more transparent in their dealings with people does not really seem a bad thing.

Any change in the law would not affect current Supreme Court justices only future justices.

The left is losing faith and trust in the SCOTUS. Once this happens there is no going back, one thing about SCOTUS is they have no power to enforce their rulings, they rely on We the People complying with them.

Having a basic code of ethics does not really seem a bad thing. Having them be more transparent in their dealings with people does not really seem a bad thing.
FIFY

The country is losing faith and trust in the SCOTUS. Once this happens there is no going back, one thing about SCOTUS is they have no power to enforce their rulings, they rely on We the People complying with them.

Ethics should always have been a part. I don't understand why it wasn't already there. Not a damn thing wrong with having standards.

Ethics should always have been a part. I don't understand why it wasn't already there. Not a damn thing wrong with having standards.

Yet they have none, at least nothing official. Every other layer of courts has a code of ethics, except for SCOTUS.

Any law passed by Congress to limit the term of a SCOTUS Justice will be ruled Unconstitutional by said SCOTUS.
HOW?

Article II, Section 2, Clause 2:

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Doesn't say anything about "Lifetime" terms.

HOW?

Article II, Section 2, Clause 2:

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Doesn't say anything about "Lifetime" terms.

There is nothing in the Constitution about the "official acts of the POTUS" being above the law...yet here we are with them saying they are.

if Biden succeeds in getting a 20 yr term limit on the SC it will have an immediate effect on several members of the court ..
Thomas a [republican appointee] and Breyer [ considered by many as a moderate although appointed by a Democrat ] would immediately effected as both have served well over 20yrs .. and then 2 more republican appointees Roberts and Alito would be within 1 to 2 yrs of serving their 20 yr term .. that's 3 republicans gone from the SC ! if Dems win in Nov they could replace 3 conservatives on the court with liberal justices !

He's going to need 2/3 of both houses of Congress and 3/4 of the state legislatures to approve his amendment. There's no way on God's green earth that will happen.

Weird that you lunatics had no issue the many years that the court was super stacked with Left-Wing activist judges who constantly made law for the bench.

You are so far gone that "center" seems foreign to you.

There is nothing in the Constitution about the "official acts of the POTUS" being above the law...yet here we are with them saying they are.
That's true.

The SCOTUS in a similar case voted to legalize one crime for one branch of government.

Supreme Court limits scope of anti-bribery law​

1721219873393.png
SCOTUSblog
https://www.scotusblog.com › Newsfeed

Jun 26, 2024 — The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a federal anti-bribery law does not make it a crime for state and local officials to accept a ...

Why not another branch of government?................Judicial.

Supreme court justices should be elected.
Just like everyone else.
I don't think that's a good idea as they then become absolutely political (not that the selection process isn't now).

SCJs should have no political bias, none. Their job is to interpret law, based on the constitution and it's original intent. The constitution should not be interpreted based on political bias. And I'm not saying that, that doesn't happen today. But to put SCJs in "office" by voters, who have no clue who these people are UNTIL they are nominated, I'm not sure that's a good idea. We will only have people voting based on party lines, and I don't think that bodes well for the country.

Breyer retired in 2022 and Thomas or any other Justice on the Supreme court won't be part of this new rule unless they make it retro active. They would be grandfathered in to the rules of when they were hired, which is for a lifetime...imo.

I don't think that's a good idea as they then become absolutely political (not that the selection process isn't now).

SCJs should have no political bias, none. Their job is to interpret law, based on the constitution and it's original intent.
That was the plan.
The constitution should not be interpreted based on political bias. And I'm not saying that, that doesn't happen today. But to put SCJs in "office" by voters, who have no clue who these people are UNTIL they are nominated, I'm not sure that's a good idea.
They run for election just like Congress or senators do.
We will only have people voting based on party lines, and I don't think that bodes well for the country.
Well, that is what is happening now

~~~~~~
"First, the Constitution does not expressly grant “life tenure” to Supreme Court justices. Rather, this idea has been derived from the language that judges and justices “shall hold their offices during good behaviour.”
Our proposal does not contravene this requirement, as it would keep justices on the federal bench as “senior justices” for life, either serving on lower federal courts, as many retired justices have done, or filling in on SCOTUS if there’s an unexpected vacancy.
Some may still feel that pushing justices into senior status would be too similar to forcing them into retirement. But “senior status” in the judiciary is a congressional creation, and one that has been almost universally accepted as a constitutionally valid interpretation of Article III".

At the same time, we should be demanding 'Term Limits' for Congress and the Senate.
Look at people like Pelosi and Wtaers both are older than Bidem and been in Congress much too long.

Wouldn't getting rid of current justices run into ex post facto law issues?

It would probably have to apply to future justices only.

Breyer retired in 2022 and Thomas or any other Justice on the Supreme court won't be part of this new rule unless they make it retro active. They would be grandfathered in to the rules of when they were hired, which is for a lifetime...imo.

You beat me to it. Ex post facto comes into play I believe.

No, it's just YOU and the rest of the demented LEFT that are losing faith in the SCOTUS.
:rolleyes:

We should also consider that the longevity of SCJs brings continuity to rulings and interpretations. A revolving door every 20 years
They run for election just like Congress or senators do.
My point is that the vast, vast majority of justices who would "run", the American public have no clue who these people are. Currently, we only know these justices when they are nominated by the POTUS. If a "Candidate" has to run, do they run under a political party. What does their campaign look like? Do we have these elections ad hoc when the 20 year term runs out, or round up to the nearest election?

I haven't through this thoroughly enough to vet this out, but this sounds like immediate corruption, collusion, which we can't have. Justices can't be party affiliated, they can't be. The SCOTUS is to be apolitical and unbiased, and this will lead to that. Well, that is what is happening now

Forum List

Back