Bitter, sullen Democrats want "Reagan" removed from DC airport title

Yep, semantics again. Next, it'll be another problem with the 'Telegraph'. There's always something.

I'm sorry you dislike me so much. I actually enjoy talking to you. I can tell your heart's in the right place, even if your head isn't sometimes.

Thanks for the fun, Wease. :eusa_angel:

Thank goodness that world peace has come to fruition, hunger and poverty are now eliminated, and every horrible disease ever has been cured. I'm glad that this ridiculous bullshit is the most interesting thing to bitch about.

Yep, semantics again. Next, it'll be another problem with the 'Telegraph'. There's always something.

I'm sorry you dislike me so much. I actually enjoy talking to you. I can tell your heart's in the right place, even if your head isn't sometimes.

Thanks for the fun, Wease. :eusa_angel:
No semantics at all. You stated:
"Did you know some Republican lawmakers have requested multiple times that they rename the entire coastline of the USA, plus X amount of miles out to sea, "Reagan"?

See? Your words, not mine.

"Did you know some Republican lawmakers have requested multiple times that they rename the entire coastline of the USA, plus X amount of miles out to sea, "Reagan"?

I didn't want to get philosophical on you (I know this kind of conversation can be a drag for many), but if you draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper, and name the left half "coast" and the right side "EEZ", what side does the actual 'line' itself belong to? Both? or do you draw a line down the line and spilt it for both sides again, and then spilt THAT line, ect. ect.

I now see our issue, and the misunderstanding is completely justified on your part.

When you read 'coastline', you took it as the physical coastline (beaches, ect.), which is understandable. It's a common use of the word.
When I said 'coastline', I meant it as the literal geographical line you would see on a zoning map that designates the end of one unit and the beginning of another, but inherently belongs to both sides. You are right, though. I should have foresaw the (justifiable) confusion this could cause and either explained my usage of the word, or as you suggested, just say EEZ. I didn't realize this was the issue until very recently.

(But I must say, having a problem with the source, despite it's direct quotes, was a little much ;))

Once again, thanks Wease.

Reagan called the Democrat HQ an "Evil empire" and vowed to toss them onto the ash heap of history, and he did exactly that liberating hundreds of million from the dehumanizing oppression of Soviet Communism. Throughout Eastern Europe he is revered as a Liberator, yet he is reviled by Former Politburo members and Democrats

I didn't want to get philosophical on you (I know this kind of conversation can be a drag for many), but if you draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper, and name the left half "coast" and the right side "EEZ", what side does the actual 'line' itself belong to? Both? or do you draw a line down the line and spilt it for both sides again, and then spilt THAT line, ect. ect.

I now see our issue, and the misunderstanding is completely justified on your part.

When you read 'coastline', you took it as the physical coastline (beaches, ect.), which is understandable. It's a common use of the word.
When I said 'coastline', I meant it as the literal geographical line you would see on a zoning map that designates the end of one unit and the beginning of another, but inherently belongs to both sides. You are right, though. I should have foresaw the (justifiable) confusion this could cause and either explained my usage of the word, or as you suggested, just say EEZ. I didn't realize this was the issue until very recently.

(But I must say, having a problem with the source, despite it's direct quotes, was a little much ;))

Once again, thanks Wease.
Yes, the word coastline is physical. You didn't just say EEZ. Your fault, not mine. Sniveling doesn't make it go away, sorry.

I explained my usage of the word the best I could, so we'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose :beer:

I do wish you wouldn't be so contentious, though. I really do enjoy your input around here. I'd hate to think I made an enemy after such a trivial chat.

I explained my usage of the word the best I could, so we'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose :beer:

I do wish you wouldn't be so contentious, though. I really do enjoy your input around here. I'd hate to think I made an enemy after such a trivial chat.
Yes, you explained your error but that doesn't mean you didn't make an error. I'm happy to point out your shortcomings, don't mind at all. For example, in this post, calling me contentious while accusing me of considering you an enemy is transparent and infantile.

Yes, you explained your error but that doesn't mean you didn't make an error. I'm happy to point out your shortcomings, don't mind at all. For example, in this post, calling me contentious while accusing me of considering you an enemy is transparent and infantile.

I admitted my wording was confusing. I can admit my shortcomings just as easily as you can admit them for me. Nobody's perfect, least of all me.

As for the other part, you did call me a couple crude words, if I remember correctly. You're entitled to, of course, and I have thick skin, but I was just disappointed that the debate got that contentious on your end, especially over something so trivial. That's all I was saying. But as I said, we can agree to disagree! No problems.
By the way, what do you call the line on a zoning map which separates the coast from the EEZ? Just curious, so I can use that term next time.

Cheers :beer:

JFK did a lot for humanity and was .ASSASSINATED fer crying out loud. Hundreds of Reagan Pub officials were jailed and Reagan policies have ruined the nonrich and the country- and the world. ....what you THINK he did is pure RW bs.

Thanks for confirming what the lefty loon haters think.

When these people lose, they lose everything.

BTW, how many Republicans want "Kennedy" removed from New York's airport name?

Yep, none.

Looks like the Democrats just cannot stand any mention of the guy who convincingly disproved their cherished tax-and-spend theories.

-----------------------------------------

Wow Bitter DC Dems Want Reagan Removed from Airport Title - Cortney O Brien

Wow: Bitter DC Dems Want 'Reagan' Removed from Airport Title

Cortney O'Brien | Apr 03, 2015

In 1998, the Washington National Airport in Arlington, VA was renamed Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – and local Democrats are still bitter about it.

The Washington Post recently conducted a survey of Washington, DC area residents, asking them what they prefer to call the busy airport. The results show that while younger people tend to call it by its current title, Reagan National, older, liberal commuters refuse to utter the name of the conservative president. In total, 72 percent of Republicans surveyed said they refer to it as 'Reagan' or 'Reagan National,' while only 35 percent of Democrats acknowledged the airport by that name.

Survey participant Jason West's eloquent explanation perhaps says it all.

“I’m still mad about the name, because of how it got passed. It got forced upon all the people here by a small group of powerful men in Congress,” says survey respondent Jason West, 57, a business analyst who lives in D.C.

“It’s almost like all those Republicans wanted to stick a middle finger up to all the people who live here,” West recalls. “I don’t know why [President Bill] Clinton didn’t veto it.”

Didn't you figure this out yet? We are just all around assholes.

Was Reagan really even that great of a president? Honestly? I mean, I've only lived under Clinton, Bush, and Obama. I miss the Clinton years.

Reagan was a GD catastrophe for the country...see post 32

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.
But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):
1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%
A 13% drop since 1980
2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:
1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%
An increase of 16% since Reagan.
3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.
1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)
How's palling around with Saddam working out? ONLY Reagan's propaganda machine keeps the GOP around at ALL, hater dupes.

I've lived in the Washington area all of my life and the airport was named after a President BEFORE the gipper got here so I'm w/ the Liberals on this. Change the name back to its proper & appropriate name.

Was Reagan really even that great of a president? Honestly? I mean, I've only lived under Clinton, Bush, and Obama. I miss the Clinton years.
No he wasn't that great. He increased the debt significantly, amnestied millions & raised taxes permanently.

How would you even remember them?
I I barely do. That's probably why I prefer them. All I remember is how much better everything was before the Bush years. People were happy and hopeful. The economy was good. American was a title you could be proud of. Other countries looked up to us and we were the good guy trying to save the Muslims in the Balkans. Then Bush got in office on an actually pretty good platform through a shady vote count. There was a lot of controversy but it died down when the decision was made final. We were in the 2000s and everyone had so much hope that the new millennium would be even better than the 90s. Then 9/11 happened and nothing was ever the same. Suddenly we were at war with people who wanted to kill us for our freedoms. We invaded Afghanistan to free the innocent and take those people out. Patriotism was running high to cover the national grief. I even donated a couple bucks to an Afghan children's fund and got a letter of appreciation from Barbara Bush from it. Then suddenly we had to invade Iraq too. I had only heard of it because I liked history and all I knew was that it used to be Sumer. People were confused and angry. We found no WMDs. People started calling Bush a liar and fraud. It became even worse when he stole the second election. Obviously between that administration and the current one I'm going to prefer the one I remember the least about.

Forum List

Back