ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Black Males Missing From College Campuses

Black Males Missing From College Campuses | America's Wire

By Marjorie Valbrun
America's Wire

Walk the campuses of many black colleges, and you are bound to notice young female students strolling and talking, clusters of women having lunch together, classrooms filled mostly with women. It’s impossible to miss the dearth of male students and not worry about that.

Young black men are not attending, or graduating from, college at the same rate as black women. Although their absence is more apparent at historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, black male students are scarce at colleges everywhere.

The national college graduation rate for black men is 33.1 percent compared with 44.8 percent for black women, according to the U.S. Department of Education. The total graduation rate is 57.3 percent. Black men represent 7.9 percent of 18-to-24-year-olds in America but only 2.8 percent of undergraduates at public flagship universities.

How do we charge this?

From the article: "Some young men have no fathers or other male role models in their lives and, as a result, no male mentors to help guide them when they encounter trouble in college."

The underlying problem has little to do with colleges in particular. The dissolution of the family as a cornerstone of culture would need to be addressed first.

• Banned
From the article: "Some young men have no fathers or other male role models in their lives and, as a result, no male mentors to help guide them when they encounter trouble in college."

The underlying problem has little to do with colleges in particular. The dissolution of the family as a cornerstone of culture would need to be addressed first.

Yet we're racist if we point this out. Weird.:eusa_shhh:

Says who? Ignore them. Most people are smart enough to know that treating the symptoms of a problem does not fix the underlying problem. Simply getting agreement on that is a first big step.

• Banned
Here is what Jacob Zuma the president of South Africa. The most powerful black nation on earth side about that. ;)

Remarks on teenage pregnancy[edit source]

Zuma's solution to pregnancy in South African teenagers is to confiscate their babies and have the mothers taken to colleges and "forced" to obtain degrees[119][120] and also to make sure that the condoms are available in diverse institutions.
Jacob Zuma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with him ;)

By Marjorie Valbrun
America's Wire

Walk the campuses of many black colleges, and you are bound to notice young female students strolling and talking, clusters of women having lunch together, classrooms filled mostly with women. It’s impossible to miss the dearth of male students and not worry about that.

Young black men are not attending, or graduating from, college at the same rate as black women. Although their absence is more apparent at historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, black male students are scarce at colleges everywhere.

The national college graduation rate for black men is 33.1 percent compared with 44.8 percent for black women, according to the U.S. Department of Education. The total graduation rate is 57.3 percent. Black men represent 7.9 percent of 18-to-24-year-olds in America but only 2.8 percent of undergraduates at public flagship universities.

How do we charge this?

it just increases a guy's chances of getting laid :eusa_whistle:

Yup, they are missing....especially at Howard.

DSC_5186.jpg

Oldschool, please...

You know I understand that they're capable of it...As I posted all those roll models that did. ;)

How do we increase the number in our colleges?

Pssssst..Howard university. Every year there is a graduating class. Kind of makes your head explode huh...

Oldschool, please...

You know I understand that they're capable of it...As I posted all those roll models that did. ;)

By posting about it from grandma's basement. That should get the word out.

Oldschool, please...

Pssssst..Howard university. Every year there is a graduating class. Kind of makes your head explode huh...

Nah,

Gives me hope. :cool:

By Marjorie Valbrun
America's Wire

How do we charge this?

One problem I see is with the entertainment industry. Young black males - especially - are being exposed to mountains of garbage music that glorifies not working, material possessions, drinking, treating women like animals, etc and I really think it's taking a toll.

Children are quite impressionable, and I think these negative role models have quite an impact on shaping the people that many of these young black kids grow up to be.

Some of the stuff some of these major artists are singing about makes me sick to my stomach.

I mean, watch this:

*as a sidenote, I'm certainly not bashing the entire rap category as I make hip-hop beats myself, which found here (if you're interested) Walkingshoe's Spotlight page on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds

There is good rap out there, however unfortunately it rarely works its way into the mainstream.

Last edited by a moderator:

A racist is someone who is willing to tell the truth about blacks.

A racist is someone who is willing to tell the truth about blacks.

A racist is someone who attributes a person's negative traits to their race directly.

Saying blacks do worse on ACT exams across the general population isn't racist. But to say they do worse because they're black (and nothing else), ignoring economic factors, ect IS racist.

Learn the difference between your statement and mine, because your statement is incorrect.

Last edited:
blacks are missing from a great many places but you hear little, example- high tech. industry or research and development institutes etc.....wonder why? :eusa_thiink:

I have worked for 25 years in both industries, I can literally count on one hand the blacks I have seen amongst the employee staff.

blacks are missing from a great many places but you hear little, example- high tech. industry or research and development institutes etc.....wonder why? :eusa_thiink:

I have worked for 25 years in both industries, I can literally count on one hand the blacks I have seen amongst the employee staff.

pretty much the same for my field. imo, it has nothing to do with whether blacks are capable or smart enough, it is simply an historical issue. we had slavery for a long time, we have gotten to the point where a person of color can achieve anything they want. unfortunately, that doesn't mean that many want to. my black buddy in college said that his friends back home often ridiculed him for being "too white". his answer was, i'm not being white, i'm being educated. get rid of the too white attitude and i bet you will see more black people in higher education, thus in more professional jobs.

again, just my opinion.

Forum List

Back