Bloomberg opinion piece

There is no gun registration on the United States and there never has been, you are a liar.

That is not true. When I first moved to Las Vegas you had to to register your guns. It was required throughout Clark County. You were issued a blue card for each gun you owned. The state legislature eventually did away with it a few years ago, but there is registration is some places throughout the country.

If you want to say there is no federal registration requirements that's mostly true, but if you want to buy a fully automatic gun, for example, those are registered with the feds.
Every firearms sale in the US since 2000 is required to be reported to ATF on the appropriate form. It is a requirement of their FFL (Federal Firearms License) that this be done or they can not transfer the weapon. I can call the ATF, give them the serial number of the weapon and they can tell me who the registered owner is and where they live. You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

Like it or not there is a database.

I can call the ATF, give them the serial number of the weapon and they can tell me who the registered owner is and where they live. You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

So, if I give you the serial number of one of my firearms, you could find out who I am?
As long as the sale was reported, yes.

I don't have a firearm in my safe I didn't fill out a background check on.

The True Aim of the Gun Sanctuary Movement

"(Bloomberg Opinion) -- At first glance, the Second Amendment sanctuary movement currently burrowing into rural Virginia looks like a ballistic twist on the immigrant sanctuary cities movement. Both movements defy the law, one to protect undocumented immigrants from legally sanctioned deportation, the other to protect unlicensed firearms from legally sanctioned regulation."

This is a good reason NOT to read Bloomberg on a regular basis.

Wow, I read two pages of comments, I could not find a single comment on Yahoo that was in support of Bloomberg.

Unreal.

There is no gun registration on the United States and there never has been, you are a liar.

That is not true. When I first moved to Las Vegas you had to to register your guns. It was required throughout Clark County. You were issued a blue card for each gun you owned. The state legislature eventually did away with it a few years ago, but there is registration is some places throughout the country.

If you want to say there is no federal registration requirements that's mostly true, but if you want to buy a fully automatic gun, for example, those are registered with the feds.
Every firearms sale in the US since 2000 is required to be reported to ATF on the appropriate form. It is a requirement of their FFL (Federal Firearms License) that this be done or they can not transfer the weapon. I can call the ATF, give them the serial number of the weapon and they can tell me who the registered owner is and where they live. You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

I can call the ATF, give them the serial number of the weapon and they can tell me who the registered owner is and where they live. You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

So, if I give you the serial number of one of my firearms, you could find out who I am?

You can check the registry yourself..

How to Run a Gun Serial Number Search

You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

have a link for that?

I'd like to see if I can find out who owns my firearm.

You can even do it using google but it will not give you the current location of residence.

have a link for that?

National Tracing Center | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

False. The only guns they have access to are those they have taken at a crime scene or some other way.

The BATF Form 4473 you fill out when purchasing a firearm doesn't inquire as to the manufacturer or model of the firearm. Only the serial number and whether it's a pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

Then there are all those firearms bought and sold from private sellers at gun shows, flea markets, garage sales, and other face-to-face transactions. I bought 14 of them one year, at garage sales. They seldom put them on the table but if you ask them, sometimes they bring one out.

The BATF Form 4473 you fill out when purchasing a firearm doesn't inquire as to the manufacturer or model of the firearm. Only the serial number and whether it's a pistol, rifle, or shotgun.
Serial numbers are manufacture and gun specific. All I need is the number and I can get everything else.

have a link for that?

tells me to contact law enforcement.

you stated you could google it.

That's the link I want.

The Venezuelan Marxist disarmed their citizens and now they are rounding-up the opposition.
One Party countries always self destruct.
That is the direction the Dems are taking America also.

have a link for that?

That's the link I want.
He's full of crap like all the gun grabbers.

Serial numbers are manufacture and gun specific. All I need is the number and I can get everything else.

Serial numbers are not manufacturer or gun specific. There are very few alpha-numeric codes that can be associated with any specific company, brand, or model. I've been collecting firearms all my life, so trust me.

False. The only guns they have access to are those they have taken at a crime scene or some other way.
"ATF’s National Tracing Center (NTC) is the only organization authorized to trace U.S. and foreign manufactured firearms for international, federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies. Its purpose is to provide investigative leads in the fight against violent crime and terrorism and to enhance public safety.

Firearms Tracing
Firearms tracing is the systematic tracking of the movement of a firearms recovered by law enforcement officials from its first sale by the manufacturer or importer through the distribution chain (wholesaler/retailer) to the first retail purchaser. Comprehensive firearms tracing is the routine tracing of every crime gun recovered within a geographic area or specific law enforcement jurisdiction."

Tell me how they know the origin of a stolen firearm? ATF form 4473 and the information in the database. The word 'comprehensive' should give you a clue.

"ATF’s National Tracing Center (NTC) is the only organization authorized to trace U.S. and foreign manufactured firearms for international, federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies. Its purpose is to provide investigative leads in the fight against violent crime and terrorism and to enhance public safety.

Firearms Tracing
Firearms tracing is the systematic tracking of the movement of a firearms recovered by law enforcement officials from its first sale by the manufacturer or importer through the distribution chain (wholesaler/retailer) to the first retail purchaser. Comprehensive firearms tracing is the routine tracing of every crime gun recovered within a geographic area or specific law enforcement jurisdiction."

Tell me how they know the origin of a stolen firearm? ATF form 4473 and the information in the database.
A stolen forearm trace is started by contacting the manufacturer. They tell the ATF who they shipped it to. The ATF contacts that gun dealer and they pull the 4473 and tell the ATF who they sold it to. The ATF contacts that person, if they can....and so on....

Serial numbers are not manufacturer or gun specific. There are very few alpha-numeric codes that can be associated with any specific company, brand, or model. I've been collecting firearms all my life, so trust me.
I guess 26 years investigating crimes and being an LEO are wrong...

No, you're just lying.

have a link for that?

That's the link I want.
He's full of crap like all the gun grabbers.
I'm as anti-gungrabber as they come... but facts are facts. every 4473 is faxed or transmitted to ATF, EVERY ONE!

Last edited:
The True Aim of the Gun Sanctuary Movement

"(Bloomberg Opinion) -- At first glance, the Second Amendment sanctuary movement currently burrowing into rural Virginia looks like a ballistic twist on the immigrant sanctuary cities movement. Both movements defy the law, one to protect undocumented immigrants from legally sanctioned deportation, the other to protect unlicensed firearms from legally sanctioned regulation."

This is a good reason NOT to read Bloomberg on a regular basis.

It may be a good reason to listen to Bloomberg and consider his reasoning vis a vis Trump. My takeaway in the link is a reasonable argument for gun control, the only people claiming confiscation on the issue are the minority whose sole fall back is "shall not infringe" which is and has never been fully enforced.

The licensed seller does keep a record of the make and model of the firearm, but that question is not on the BATF form when you fill it out.

Forum List

Back