Boardwalk Empire

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
It started getting stupid last week with Nucky and his new girl-friend punching each other in the face to get hot sex going. But now that we know Nucky is into S&M and the new lady is moving closer, and Margaret has taken a step in the direction of an alliance with Arnold Rothstein, and Chalky White is being set up by a two-timing babe, it's clear things are about to get interesting.

I hope others here are watching this really good series, because I'm surprised to find no thread devoted to it.

Last edited:
I love this show, but it isn't as good as last season. Nucky is getting..um....lowlife and not a classy gangster.

I love this show, but it isn't as good as last season. Nucky is getting..um....lowlife and not a classy gangster.
True. The loss of Margaret and now Eddie (Kessler) plus the damage done to him by Rossetti have tarnished him.

He's made a couple of really bad mistakes by killing Jimmy and by alienating Margaret and it looks like he's about to make another mistake by developing a relationship with Eli's son.

I'm very curious to know what will come of the budding romance between Gillian and the seemingly innocent fellow who doesn't know what a viper she is and appears to be in love with her. And I'm anxious to see what becomes of the blossoming alliance between Arnold Rothstein and Margaret. She is in a position to profit from that alliance. But her innate sense of morality might compel her to tell her boss who Rothstein really is, which also could be very beneficial to her. She has a choice to make and which way she moves will reveal how much the past few years of her life have influenced her.

While Breaking Bad was an enjoyable series in spite of its drift toward comic book fantasy, I think Boardwalk Empire is superior in every way. But Breaking Bad is the critics' choice.

What do you think?

Personally, I am hoping Margaret and Gillian both die soon. Can't stand either one of them. At least Gillian knows she is a slithering snake...but margaret? She is a snake in her soul and tries to pretend to be a butterfly. She is still poisonous. I am glad she and Nucky are no longer together.

What is that guy's name? The one with half a face? I like his character. I hope they show more of his development.

Al Capone is wacko. They got the perfect guy to play him, too.

I never watched Breaking Bad.

Oh, and I think she will protect Rothstein. She is just like him...but in female form. She will do whatever needs done to get to the top herself. She just goes about it more sneakily but just as deadly as Gillian. So yeah..she and Rothstein will hook up. Betcha.

It started getting stupid last week with Nucky and his new girl-friend punching each other in the face to get hot sex going. But now that we know Nucky is into S&M and the new lady is moving closer, and Margaret has taken a step in the direction of an alliance with Arnold Rothstein, and Chalky White is being set up by a two-timing babe, it's clear things are about to get interesting.

I hope others here are watching this really good series, because I'm surprised to find no thread devoted to it.

That scene with Nucky and his Florida girlfriend was hilarious. It shocked me then I just burst out laughing. This show keeps getting better, glad Margaret's back too.

Margaret and Gillian - Women didn't have very many choices then. Neither of them are snakes. They're both survivors, doing what they have to do. Margaret with two kids - what mother would not do whatever she had to do to feed her children? And, Gillian was raped every day from the age of 13. She is using the "skills" she was taught by the scummy men who used her.

I was sorry they killed off Owen. He and Margaret could have made a good addition to the story. Own was just a scum murderer but it was easy to like him.

Nucky and the rest - slime in nice suits. And, I never miss an episode.

Same with the Sopranos when it was first on. They were common criminals who didn't hesitate to kill anyone who got in their way. But, I watched the show.

I'd like to see another show of the caliber of 6 Feet Under. People said that family was dysfunctional but they always stuck together and they were always "there" for each other. And, I enjoyed the dark humor.

I was bummed when the irish guy got snuffed.

Sorry, but I just flat don't care much for Margaret...and I loathe Gillian.

The introduction of Dr Narcis is an interesting turn. There is a lot they can do with him. They are also laying the groundwork for the St Valentines Day massacre

The introduction of Dr Narcis is an interesting turn. There is a lot they can do with him. They are also laying the groundwork for the St Valentines Day massacre

yea "big" Al is one of the better characters....crazy basterd .....him and Rossetti would have gotten along good....

Personally, I am hoping Margaret and Gillian both die soon. Can't stand either one of them. At least Gillian knows she is a slithering snake...but margaret? She is a snake in her soul and tries to pretend to be a butterfly. She is still poisonous. I am glad she and Nucky are no longer together.

[...]
My opinion of Gillian is based mainly on her sexual seduction of her own son and her calculated, cold-blooded murder of that innocent young man she tried to pass off as her son to gain control of the estate. Margaret is nowhere near as bad as Gillian but is a saint by comparison.

While Margaret would have been a loyal wife to Nucky if he'd played it straight with her, the impression I have of her is that of a basically decent woman concerned with doing what's best for her children. I am quite surprised by your assessment of her, but I do acknowledge that women perceive other women much differently from a man's perception.

I like the Margaret character and I think Nucky made a serious mistake by driving her into Owen's arms.

Again, I don't know how you can compare Margaret with Gillian, whom I perceive as pure evil.

What is that guy's name? The one with half a face? I like his character. I hope they show more of his development.
That's Richard. I like him, too. He's like a loyal pit bull.

Margaret and Gillian - Women didn't have very many choices then. Neither of them are snakes. They're both survivors, doing what they have to do. Margaret with two kids - what mother would not do whatever she had to do to feed her children? And, Gillian was raped every day from the age of 13. She is using the "skills" she was taught by the scummy men who used her.

I was sorry they killed off Owen. He and Margaret could have made a good addition to the story. Own was just a scum murderer but it was easy to like him.

Nucky and the rest - slime in nice suits. And, I never miss an episode.

Same with the Sopranos when it was first on. They were common criminals who didn't hesitate to kill anyone who got in their way. But, I watched the show.

I'd like to see another show of the caliber of 6 Feet Under. People said that family was dysfunctional but they always stuck together and they were always "there" for each other. And, I enjoyed the dark humor.

I loved Six Feet Under too, Michael C Hall was in that one as well. I just can't wait to see what he does next now that Dexter is over.

BE was so good last night. Loved that beautiful sad song Daughter Maitland sang for Chalkey White. Same one she sang at the funeral service:

Old Ship Of Zion

I was standing by the banks of a river
Looking out over lifes troubled seas
When I saw an old ship that was sailing
Is that the old ship of Zion I see

It's hull was bent and battered
From the storms of life I could see
Waves were rough but that old ship kept sailing

At the stern of the ship was the captain
I could hear as he called out my name
Get on board It's the old ship of Zion
It will never pass this way again

As I step on board I'll be leaving
All my troubles and trials behind
I'll be safe with Jesus the captain
Sailing out on the old ship of Zion

Glad that evil Dunn Purnsley is done. Jezus some of these guys are so scary.

Oh, and I think she will protect Rothstein. She is just like him...but in female form. She will do whatever needs done to get to the top herself.
If this were true Margaret would not have given all that property to the Church. And she would have stuck with Nucky in spite of his infidelity and in spite of what happened to Owen. Margaret is an essentially decent woman who is doing her best to care for her children while trying to maintain the fundamental morality imparted by her Irish/Catholic background and up-bringing.

She just goes about it more sneakily but just as deadly as Gillian. So yeah..she and Rothstein will hook up. Betcha.
I don't know how you formed such a negative impression of Margaret and I'm baffled as to how you can compare her with Gillian who is diabolically self-serving. What did Margaret do that compares with Gillian's incestuous, psychologically ruinous seduction of her own son? What did Margaret do that compares with Gillian's calculated, cold-blooded murder of that young man whom she passed off as her son to facilitate an inheritance?

There is a basically decent, familial side to Nucky, which Margaret perceived and made up her mind to accept his affections and to be a good wife to him. She did exactly that, mainly with the interests of her children in mind, and she remained faithful to him until he showed himself to be unworthy of her devotion and fidelity.

(PS: I like your bear avatar.)

Rather than continue in her relationship with Nucky, whom she has lost respect and affection for, Margaret is now working nine-to-five to support her kids. There is nothing treacherous or fundamentally immoral about her accepting the $100 bill from Rothstein for essentially minding her own business and not exposing him. But that will depend on what develops from Rothstein's overture.

Last edited:
BE was so good last night. Loved that beautiful sad song Daughter Maitland sang for Chalkey White. Same one she sang at the funeral service:

Old Ship Of Zion

I'm glad to see Chalky prevail over Dr. Narcis (so far). But we can expect to see problems for Chalky at home because it was made clear in the Church scene that his wife's female antenna has picked up his intense interest in Maitland.

It appears the Patricia Arquette character has a firm hold on Nucky's libido. And while I was glad to see Nucky whack that idiot, Mickey, with Eddie's cane, it represents the first potential wave that woman is making in Nucky's business relationships.

Old Ship Of Zion

I'm glad to see Chalky prevail over Dr. Narcis (so far). But we can expect to see problems for Chalky at home because it was made clear in the Church scene that his wife's female antenna has picked up his intense interest in Maitland.

It appears the Patricia Arquette character has a firm hold on Nucky's libido. And while I was glad to see Nucky whack that idiot, Mickey, with Eddie's cane, it represents the first potential wave that woman is making in Nucky's business relationships.

Nucky falls hard for his women. That idiot Mickey needed to get smacked.

Forum List

Back