Bone Broth

I didn't notice in the recipe you linked, but for really rich colored broth, roast the bones until they're brown, first. Turkey carcass after I've carved it and used whatever generally goes back in the oven to brown, then I pull it apart and put everything in a stock pot with water, salt, onion. Cook it for hours. Then strain, bring up to heat again, add meat back if you like, dumplings, noodles, whatever. Or can it.....pressure canner for 20 minutes I think.

I just got back from the hardware store with some mason jars and cheese cloth. I was going to buy a sieve but 10 bucks for one big enough that still wasn't big enough? I don't think so.
So...I am going to drape the cheesecloth over a colander, have Mr Gracie heft the heavy crockpot and poor it on the cheesecloth covered colander and I have my bone broth ready to pour into the jars as soon as it's cool. I will keep one jar in the fridge..the rest will go in the freezer. Tomorrow is farmers market day 3 blocks from me and that is where I will get my organic veggies and some grass fed animal bones for the next batch.

Never did this before, so it's a new thing for me. I hope it helps my joints! And the kitchen smells heavenly!

I got 4 mason jars worth. Next pot is going to be my huge s'ghetti pot.

I've been making bone broth for a few years now and have usually made HUGE batches to can. This year I've been doing smaller batches in the crockpot. My methods are similar to what's listed but with a few differences. Also the recipes I use for each are similar but with few differences.

For Beef......

2 or 3 lbs of beef bones, preferably the feet and/or marrow bones, either raw or leftover cooked
1 onion quartered
3 or 4 celery ribs, including leaves....cut in chunks
6 or 8 cloves of garlic, peeled & cut in half
2 or 3 bay leaves
capful of Apple Cider Vinegar, preferably raw organic with the mother (this helps to leach out the minerals in the bones)

Roast the bones in a 450 oven about 15 minutes or so till browned & sizzling. Put bones in the cook pot. Add veggies to any drippings in the roast pan to wilt. Add to the bones in pot, along with the bay leaves & ACV. Enough water to cover the bones and fill the pot. Turn on the heat to boiling, then lower to simmer. The longer they simmer the better the broth. I have left mine in the pot for up to 3 days.
You can let it cool, then put in the fridge to get cold. The fat will solidify on the top and is easy to scoop off. Then strain off the wasted veggies & bones and use the remaining broth for recipes.

For Chicken.....

2 or 3 lbs of chicken (or turkey) bones, either raw or leftover cooked....chicken feet, if you can find them are a great addition (just don't look at them if it bugs
you:lol:)
1 onion quartered
3 or 4 celery ribs, including leaves, cut in chunks
6 or 8 cloves of garlic, peeled & cut
capful of ACV

Roast the bones & feet in a 450 oven about 15 minutes till browned & sizzling. Put bones in the pot. Wilt veggies in roast pan drippings and add to pot along with the ACV. Fill pot with water, (gallon?) bring to a boil, turn down to low to simmer for a couple days. When you've got it right, the broth should congeal (like soft jello) when cooled. And the bones should crumble to mush when pressed. This is the only time I feed chicken bones to my dogs and they love it. Strain off the broth to use in recipes & toss the spent bones & veggies or feed to pets.

If you want to, you can even make your own ACV. It's really simple, but you have to guard against fruit flies. I've made it about 3 times. The last time I gave up because of the flies.

Apple Scrap Vinegar

I've been making bone broth for a few years now and have usually made HUGE batches to can. This year I've been doing smaller batches in the crockpot. My methods are similar to what's listed but with a few differences. Also the recipes I use for each are similar but with few differences.

For Beef......

2 or 3 lbs of beef bones, preferably the feet and/or marrow bones, either raw or leftover cooked
1 onion quartered
3 or 4 celery ribs, including leaves....cut in chunks
6 or 8 cloves of garlic, peeled & cut in half
2 or 3 bay leaves
capful of Apple Cider Vinegar, preferably raw organic with the mother (this helps to leach out the minerals in the bones)

Roast the bones in a 450 oven about 15 minutes or so till browned & sizzling. Put bones in the cook pot. Add veggies to any drippings in the roast pan to wilt. Add to the bones in pot, along with the bay leaves & ACV. Enough water to cover the bones and fill the pot. Turn on the heat to boiling, then lower to simmer. The longer they simmer the better the broth. I have left mine in the pot for up to 3 days.
You can let it cool, then put in the fridge to get cold. The fat will solidify on the top and is easy to scoop off. Then strain off the wasted veggies & bones and use the remaining broth for recipes.

For Chicken.....

2 or 3 lbs of chicken (or turkey) bones, either raw or leftover cooked....chicken feet, if you can find them are a great addition (just don't look at them if it bugs
you:lol:)
1 onion quartered
3 or 4 celery ribs, including leaves, cut in chunks
6 or 8 cloves of garlic, peeled & cut
capful of ACV

Roast the bones & feet in a 450 oven about 15 minutes till browned & sizzling. Put bones in the pot. Wilt veggies in roast pan drippings and add to pot along with the ACV. Fill pot with water, (gallon?) bring to a boil, turn down to low to simmer for a couple days. When you've got it right, the broth should congeal (like soft jello) when cooled. And the bones should crumble to mush when pressed. This is the only time I feed chicken bones to my dogs and they love it. Strain off the broth to use in recipes & toss the spent bones & veggies or feed to pets.

If you want to, you can even make your own ACV. It's really simple, but you have to guard against fruit flies. I've made it about 3 times. The last time I gave up because of the flies.

Apple Scrap Vinegar

A friend and I make this usually at this time of the year, in our slow cookers/crockpots.

Two questions. Do you feel any health improvements from drinking the broth?

And can you buy the bones (with marrow) fresh in the US? I've only ever seen them frozen there. Here in Europe, not frozen. And the Turkish butcher will chop them up to your liking.

This is what I usually buy:

rind-beinscheibe-kaufen.jpg

A friend and I make this usually at this time of the year, in our slow cookers/crockpots.

And can you buy the bones (with marrow) fresh in the US? I've only ever seen them frozen there. Here in Europe, not frozen. And the Turkish butcher will chop them up to your liking.

I haven't actually drank it, like tea. But I do use it for cooking. I don't know if that would make any difference in it's health benefits or not. I do have some health issues, including back & bone problems and am doing lots of stretches, exercise, supplements and diet changes that also contribute. I can say my pain level has improved considerably....to the point I no longer rely on pain relievers. I do have bad days and will take something for it, but not several times a day.

Most of the bones I find are usually frozen and sometimes I can find them fresh but not often.

With this, I would cut the meat from the bone & use the bone for the broth and the meat used for something else. Meat can be used in broth, but I don't just because I cook it for so long. 2-3 days. That is the way I do it, but others may do it differently.

I haven't actually drank it, like tea. But I do use it for cooking. I don't know if that would make any difference in it's health benefits or not. I do have some health issues, including back & bone problems and am doing lots of stretches, exercise, supplements and diet changes that also contribute. I can say my pain level has improved considerably....to the point I no longer rely on pain relievers. I do have bad days and will take something for it, but not several times a day.

Most of the bones I find are usually frozen and sometimes I can find them fresh but not often.

With this, I would cut the meat from the bone & use the bone for the broth and the meat used for something else. Meat can be used in broth, but I don't just because I cook it for so long. 2-3 days. That is the way I do it, but others may do it differently.

Thanks. I get back pain, like nearly everyone I know. Of all ages.

Climate doesn't help. I walk every day.

What stretches do you do?

The marrow you refer to is wonderful ! It holds all of the antibiotics, hormones and pesticides/vaccines the animal was ever exposed to until it went down the assembly line for the final blow.
Cheers !

Forum List

Back