Boy dead. Bullying to blame?

Kids fight, a terrible tragedy, but I hardly think there was an intent to kill the boy. The question is whether the one who struck the dead child could even form the requisite intent to commit an "intentional killing".

"It was an altercation in the schoolyard where kid wanted to fight my son, and my son wanted to walk away," Rob O'Neill said. "One boy pushed Bailey into the kid [who wanted to fight him]. That kid then hit him in the face, then he hit his head on the ground. One pushed him into the kid, then the other kid did the rest of the work."
Bullied Boy Dies: Bailey O'Neill, 12, Dead Weeks After School Bullying - ABC News

While this angers me to the point where I want to see these two punished, I am not convinced they wanted to kill him.

Exactly, kids fight. According to what I've read, there was no beating, no gang up on the dead child, only 1 boy did the hit that killed him. Police have the whole thing on video, if it was cut and dry I believe they would have already filed charges.

I feel like we are talking about stuff that goes on in the streets of Venezuela or something but no, this goes on right here in our own country.:(

it makes you wonder are we lowering our standards to be politically correct? yes this is america we are talking about. this is behavior we never found acceptable in the past. what have we alowed to change that makes this behavior, that we would have always considered 3rd world, to become part of our culture?

Fighting? Almost everyone got into one fight....it wasn't that big a deal....tho I'm sure some got out of hand or someone died from a freak blow.

My wife crippled the captain of the football team...he groped her, and she planted a steel-toe boot between his legs! He went maybe 4" straight up and came down shrieking like a damned soul. He had a cracked pelvis & I think she emasculated him.

If this kid was punched daily during recess over a matter of time..then yes. It can be construed as bullying. But until more is known about the investigation...for now, it is involuntary manslaughter. I'm wondering how the kid feels...the one that threw the punch. Sorrowful? Horrified? Nonchalant? There will be the answer.

Its hard to say, kids don't have empathy until they grow up. Kids can do very cruel things to each other and really not care.

Very true. The kid might be a budding psychopath.

Forum List

Back