Boy dead. Bullying to blame?

Nobody is left at home to teach kids proper etiquette. Both parents..if there are two...are at work. The kid is a latchkey and his/her teachers when not in school are video games where running someone over gets them extra points.

If this kid was punched daily during recess over a matter of time..then yes. It can be construed as bullying. But until more is known about the investigation...for now, it is involuntary manslaughter. I'm wondering how the kid feels...the one that threw the punch. Sorrowful? Horrified? Nonchalant? There will be the answer.

Its hard to say, kids don't have empathy until they grow up. Kids can do very cruel things to each other and really not care.

If this kid was punched daily during recess over a matter of time..then yes. It can be construed as bullying. But until more is known about the investigation...for now, it is involuntary manslaughter. I'm wondering how the kid feels...the one that threw the punch. Sorrowful? Horrified? Nonchalant? There will be the answer.

Its hard to say, kids don't have empathy until they grow up. Kids can do very cruel things to each other and really not care.

especially if they think it is going to elevate them to a higher status or make them more popular

Well, it's obviously time to introduce "fist control" legislation.

Anybody who uses a fist during a fight, or makes a fist while threatening physical violence, should be charged with a crime.

Don't trivialize this. Any strike using a closed fist is considered as a "deadly force" assault. If you are a parent, I do hope you know enough to instruct your children accordingly. People often die from closed-fist strikes.

It ain't like the movies at all.

All it takes is one punch or one hit in the wrong place on a diamond to break it.
Beating is hitting more than once. From my understanding, the kid hit the other kid once. Have you ever, when younger and still pimply faced, hit another kid? I have. Have I have been hit just once? Yes. Have you ever BEAT anyone over and over? I have not. Have I been beat over and over? Yes...until I could find something to smack him back with so I could run.

One hit is different than beating. But nobody will know in this case until the investigation is complete.

especially if they think it is going to elevate them to a higher status or make them more popular

The scary thing is that sentence you just typed is what goes on in prisons when inmates make a move on each other for a higher status on the yard. We have basically turned our schools into prisons during the day for our kids, with less security.

Bullying isn't to blame. A vicious attack that murdered this child is to blame.

These kids were bullying him and then physically assaulted him, ending in his death!

Even one attack in an act of bullying! These little shits should have the book tossed at them!

All it takes is one punch or one hit in the wrong place on a diamond to break it.
Beating is hitting more than once. From my understanding, the kid hit the other kid once. Have you ever, when younger and still pimply faced, hit another kid? I have. Have I have been hit just once? Yes. Have you ever BEAT anyone over and over? I have not. Have I been beat over and over? Yes...until I could find something to smack him back with so I could run.

One hit is different than beating. But nobody will know in this case until the investigation is complete.

you are taught in many martial arts how to inflict serious, even lethal damage with a blow. it's not necessarily the force of the blow, but the point of impact. you hit that point even by accident, it does the same damage

He was beaten to death. That isn't bullying, it's murder.

He wasnt beaten. Did you read the story? He took a single hit to the nose, and died from it.

I single shot must be seen in the light of the act. There are people that if I struck with all my might I would probably kill them.

In this story, the bigger bully hit and killed the smaller victim. There are no pictures of the bully. The kid could have been massive, where a single blow would have inflicted significant damage. If that is the case, then your view of the single blow is misguided. If the children were roughly the same size or the bully a little bigger (which is usually the case), then we can make other assumptions.

Either way as adults if you attack someone (not in self-defense) with no intent to kill ot maime, you could be charged with involuntary manslaughter!

The scary thing is that sentence you just typed is what goes on in prisons when inmates make a move on each other for a higher status on the yard. We have basically turned our schools into prisons during the day for our kids, with less security.

totally, and it is the attitude that has become prevelant in our society today as well. it used to be, if someone insulted you, you beat them up. today, you take them out. we see this enhanced aggressive attitude everywhere. our culture, our music, movies, TV, road rage, our conversations. even our posting. we are taking violent behavior to the extreme and we do not have the safety nets or the controls in place to deal with it.

I know someone who was bullied because he read books during lunch. He would be chased down by a gang of boys in a pick up while on his home from school, at one point even had to crawl to a friends house to get away.

It was relentless for him, the problem is, if they had hit him in the wrong place, he could have been killed, even though it was not apparent that he had physical/health issues.

Again, I will say, it is still up to the parents to teach their kids to be decent to others. Maybe even school administrators doing a better job of articulating school policies to kids about violence on school grounds, and recess monitors paying attention?

Nobody is left at home to teach kids proper etiquette. Both parents..if there are two...are at work. The kid is a latchkey and his/her teachers when not in school are video games where running someone over gets them extra points.

I thought Head Start programs were going to fix this? :confused:

The "bully" in question couldn't have been more then a year older than the dead boy. I don't see size as an issue here. Id say most 12 year olds have no idea that 1 hit to the face can cause death, let alone that they have the ability to do so.

The "bully" in question couldn't have been more then a year older than the dead boy. I don't see size as an issue here. Id say most 12 year olds have no idea that 1 hit to the face can cause death, let alone that they have the ability to do so.

I taught my kid that cartoons are not real, that if you hit someone in the face they can be hurt real bad or even killed.

I taught my kid that cartoons are not real, that if you hit someone in the face they can be hurt real bad or even killed.

Congratulations?

Congratulations?

No thanks?

Was a simple example of what I taught my kid, and why he never hurt anyone, and carries a level of respect for others

My son being a good person is all the congratulations I need, thanks!

Last edited:
You can tell a child "never do this", but that doesn't mean in the spur of the moment they will stop because they remember mommy said no. I've told my 2 year old 100 times that fire hurts, but if I leave her alone with a candle she will still reach out to touch it.

totally, and it is the attitude that has become prevelant in our society today as well. it used to be, if someone insulted you, you beat them up. today, you take them out. we see this enhanced aggressive attitude everywhere. our culture, our music, movies, TV, road rage, our conversations. even our posting. we are taking violent behavior to the extreme and we do not have the safety nets or the controls in place to deal with it.

Its become so dangerous too, before if you were bullied and stood up for yourself and fought back, the problem ended there. Now if you beat up your bully he can come after you the next day with a knife or in some cases a gun, and this turns into a blood feud. Some of these kids go after each other harder than the Israelis and Palestinians, I don't get it and its often over nothing.

Forum List

Back