Boy dead. Bullying to blame?

The "bully" in question couldn't have been more then a year older than the dead boy. I don't see size as an issue here. Id say most 12 year olds have no idea that 1 hit to the face can cause death, let alone that they have the ability to do so.

I taught my kid that cartoons are not real, that if you hit someone in the face they can be hurt real bad or even killed.

Whoa... Hold on. Your child's upbringing should be the State's responsibility. :eusa_whistle:

I know someone who was bullied because he read books during lunch. He would be chased down by a gang of boys in a pick up while on his home from school, at one point even had to crawl to a friends house to get away.

It was relentless for him, the problem is, if they had hit him in the wrong place, he could have been killed, even though it was not apparent that he had physical/health issues.

Again, I will say, it is still up to the parents to teach their kids to be decent to others. Maybe even school administrators doing a better job of articulating school policies to kids about violence on school grounds, and recess monitors paying attention?

Again this is the same issue as in Prison, the CO's and the Warden do brief the prisoners that harassing other inmates and assault is not tolerated but it happens anyways, the Correctional Officers cannot be everywhere to watch everything just like the teachers and staff can only do so much with the schools.

Last edited:
You can tell a child "never do this", but that doesn't mean in the spur of the moment they will stop because they remember mommy said no. I've told my 2 year old 100 times that fire hurts, but if I leave her alone with a candle she will still reach out to touch it.

It took more than a couple of times of "telling" my kid never do this or that, much of it is how you live your life. As well as teaching them lessons constantly. Never take your eye off the ball.

Children learn what they live

The scary thing is that sentence you just typed is what goes on in prisons when inmates make a move on each other for a higher status on the yard. We have basically turned our schools into prisons during the day for our kids, with less security.

totally, and it is the attitude that has become prevelant in our society today as well. it used to be, if someone insulted you, you beat them up. today, you take them out. we see this enhanced aggressive attitude everywhere. our culture, our music, movies, TV, road rage, our conversations. even our posting. we are taking violent behavior to the extreme and we do not have the safety nets or the controls in place to deal with it.

Its become so dangerous too, before if you were bullied and stood up for yourself and fought back, the problem ended there. Now if you beat up your bully he can come after you the next day with a knife or in some cases a gun, and this turns into a blood feud. Some of these kids go after each other harder than the Israelis and Palestinians, I don't get it and its often over nothing.
very true, it gets to the point one has to kill the other to end it, because it does get into the trap of increasing escalation.

The "bully" in question couldn't have been more then a year older than the dead boy. I don't see size as an issue here. Id say most 12 year olds have no idea that 1 hit to the face can cause death, let alone that they have the ability to do so.

I taught my kid that cartoons are not real, that if you hit someone in the face they can be hurt real bad or even killed.

Whoa... Hold on. Your child's upbringing should be the State's responsibility. :eusa_whistle:

:rofl:
Too bad. The state did not have control over me. My kid my rules :D

You can tell a child "never do this", but that doesn't mean in the spur of the moment they will stop because they remember mommy said no. I've told my 2 year old 100 times that fire hurts, but if I leave her alone with a candle she will still reach out to touch it.

This is exactly the wrong approach. You should teach children that they are ultimately responsible for their own behavior. If they disregard, well, then, ramifications.

totally, and it is the attitude that has become prevelant in our society today as well. it used to be, if someone insulted you, you beat them up. today, you take them out. we see this enhanced aggressive attitude everywhere. our culture, our music, movies, TV, road rage, our conversations. even our posting. we are taking violent behavior to the extreme and we do not have the safety nets or the controls in place to deal with it.

Its become so dangerous too, before if you were bullied and stood up for yourself and fought back, the problem ended there. Now if you beat up your bully he can come after you the next day with a knife or in some cases a gun, and this turns into a blood feud. Some of these kids go after each other harder than the Israelis and Palestinians, I don't get it and its often over nothing.
very true, it gets to the point one has to kill the other to end it, because it does get into the trap of increasing escalation.

I feel like we are talking about stuff that goes on in the streets of Venezuela or something but no, this goes on right here in our own country.:(

This is exactly the wrong approach. You should teach children that they are ultimately responsible for their own behavior. If they disregard, well, then, ramifications.

Yes, one should never give a child an excuse mechanism

Yes, one should never give a child an excuse mechanism

Exactly.

To me, charges should be pressed if the punch was not an accident and I am guessing that it wasn't.

God bless you and the boy's family always!!!

Holly

It took more than a couple of times of "telling" my kid never do this or that, much of it is how you live your life. As well as teaching them lessons constantly. Never take your eye off the ball.

Fighting is a natural part of childhood. I suppose you can terrify your child to the point that they cower instead of standing up of themselves, but I'm not sure thats the best approach.

I feel like we are talking about stuff that goes on in the streets of Venezuela or something but no, this goes on right here in our own country.:(

it makes you wonder are we lowering our standards to be politically correct? yes this is america we are talking about. this is behavior we never found acceptable in the past. what have we alowed to change that makes this behavior, that we would have always considered 3rd world, to become part of our culture?

Fighting is a natural part of childhood. I suppose you can terrify your child to the point that they cower instead of standing up of themselves, but I'm not sure thats the best approach.

Fighting was not a natural part of my childhood. Where did you grow up?
Detroit?

Detroit?

Really? You never got into a fight with another child? Ever?

How sad :/

Were you very sheltered?

it makes you wonder are we lowering our standards to be politically correct? yes this is america we are talking about. this is behavior we never found acceptable in the past. what have we alowed to change that makes this behavior, that we would have always considered 3rd world, to become part of our culture?

We are becoming more and more like a third world country, largely because of huge numbers of illegal immigrants in certain areas of the country and their lack of assimilation, they don't want to be Americans. You can go to certain parts of Texas, Arizona and California and its no different than Juarez or Guadalajara. Alot of people in Central America have a very strong gang culture, and they will bring it here. They are not interested in American ideas or ways of thinking, I am not blaming all our troubles with this issue on illegals but this is part of it.

Detroit?

I got into quite a few fights, I was almost expelled from high school for fighting. Kids are assholes.

Fighting? Almost everyone got into one fight....it wasn't that big a deal....tho I'm sure some got out of hand or someone died from a freak blow.

Fighting? Almost everyone got into one fight....it wasn't that big a deal....tho I'm sure some got out of hand or someone died from a freak blow.

Well we were talking about how fighting between kids can escalate into murders and blood feuds.

Forum List

Back