Boy Held Hostage in AL

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
As Ala. standoff drags on, town grieves bus driver | www.ajc.com

They are talking to the suspect --5 days since he took him from the bus.

There are no plans at this point to use sleeping gas etc.

It is possible that he wants his views/grievances against the government to be heard.

I honestly wonder what sort of regulations could be put into effect to prevent something like this.

He was to appear in court on charges that he harassed neighbors who somehow disturbed a makeshift speed bump in the road on Wednesday--which may have been a factor in stopping the school bus and taking a hostage. He is also thought to have beaten a dog to death. Apparently nothing sufficient to require legal action.

There must be so many people like this who fall into some gray area that it is just not clear to me what additional steps would be proactive.

fwiw--I have heard enough about this. Do what can be done and get on with it. jmo.

From what I've heard and read about this guy is he's just another certifiable batshit crazy liberal that no one has dealt with.

From what I've heard and read about this guy is he's just another certifiable batshit crazy liberal that no one has dealt with.

He has been described as a survivalist--not certain the liberal descriptor would apply?

He is living in a fishing trailer, drives an old van and patrols his property day and night with a weapon/gun of some kind.

It sounds like although he has been strange and hostile to others there hadn't been a specific incident which would have led to a harsher legal response.

At any rate he has a child with special needs in an underground bunker and I don't know what they can do but try to negotiate with him. Such an experience would be terrifying to any child but particularly damaging, I would think, to this little boy.

This is just another facet of the complex issue of 'what should be done'---'Something needs to be done'--very tired of hearing that.

He is not a liberal. Dear god :rolleyes: Just because you dislike someone doesn't make them a liberal willow.

However, he is a nut job.

He is not a liberal. Dear god :rolleyes: Just because you dislike someone doesn't make them a liberal willow.

We have the nut jobs on both sides....this guy however it shouldn't matter WHAT side he's on, he needs to be taken care of. This whole story is so sad, i can't imagine what the boys parents are going through too!! :(

We have the nut jobs on both sides....this guy however it shouldn't matter WHAT side he's on, he needs to be taken care of. This whole story is so sad, i can't imagine what the boys parents are going through too!! :(

Agreed. I can only hope he has not hurt the child. :/

I know. They said the other children escaped--through the back of the bus, perhaps. That was what we were always told to do in case of an emergency--I suppose that is still true.

This child couldn't run--that really gets to me--so he was taken.

They aren't releasing much fyi--which is good. It would certainly seem that some highly trained operatives might have been contacted and perhaps some plan is being developed. This child needs to be safely released ASAP.

A friend of mine lives in a rural mountain area and I have seen some individuals up there that seem fully capable of something like this. A few years ago several 'survivalists' designed some sort of bomb plot and were discovered, arrested and charged. I suspect there are many more across the US--wouldn't really meet criteria for 'insanity' but living on the 'edge'. Scary.

What in the world would make you think this guy is a "liberal" or that he has any political inclinations at all?? Where did that come from?

What in the world would make you think this guy is a "liberal" or that he has any political inclinations at all?? Where did that come from?

I suppose that was the most derogatory term the poster could think of?

~~
I read a comment ---'This sort of thing could never happen in NY or NJ...' not certain of that. sigh--With the outrage that is being expressed online over many issues it is forseeable that 'anywhere' someone could decide to take a stand and how authorities can be expected to be prepared for such scenarios is what I don't understand.

This town isn't far from the AL/FL border--surely there are experts of some kind in Pensacola or military bases in AL.

One poor frightened little boy and it doesn't seem like there is much anyone can do to help him. sad.

Agreed. I can only hope he has not hurt the child. :/

Whoever believes, i hope they are all praying for this child. I have since it first happened! I have a 5 yr old grand child, and my mind can't wrap around the pain i would be going through!!!

I just saw a news report about this. The boy has Asperger's and ADD. I have a child with autism (Asperger's is a high-functioning form of autism) and if that were my child, I'd be scared half to death.

Forum List

Back