brake problem

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
As soon as I added some 33" tires to my 95 4-runner, my rear end started shaking when I hit my brakes. If I slam on them or barely use them they don't shake. If I use them "normally" all hell breaks loose.
I checked my fluid. I checked the balance. I know it isn't the booster. The drums are only about 10K miles old and the pads are fine.
Any advice?

As soon as I added some 33" tires to my 95 4-runner, my rear end started shaking when I hit my brakes. If I slam on them or barely use them they don't shake. If I use them "normally" all hell breaks loose.
I checked my fluid. I checked the balance. I know it isn't the booster. The drums are only about 10K miles old and the pads are fine.
Any advice?

Yeah -- don't be on the road when I come out there later this week. :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Any advice?
We had the same problem seems the tires we changed to needed 55psi, instead of 32psi...

Any advice?
We had the same problem seems the tires we changed to needed 55psi, instead of 32psi...
And that didn't affect the front?

Its not the calipers but the rotor is possible I guess. Hek, I didn't even think about them. Thanks!

Any advice?
And that didn't affect the front?
It was the font that was shaking the worst....The people that owned the vehicle before us had the wrong sized tires on it...

Any advice?

Thats a weird one.
What were you running before the 33s?
Have you tried backing up and hitting the brakes several times to activate the break adjusters?
Being a 95 you dont have traction control which can mess things up when going with a larger tire.

Any advice?

Thats a weird one.
Have you tried backing up and hitting the brakes several times to activate the break adjusters?
Being a 95 you dont have traction control which can mess things up when going with a larger tire.
Some small all-terrains is all I remember.
I am going to check the rotors when I get home. Now that I think about it, sometimes, if I tap the brakes, it will stop abruptly. Which is a clear sign of bad rotors.

Any advice?

Thats a weird one.
I am going to check the rotors when I get home. Now that I think about it, sometimes, if I tap the brakes, it will stop abruptly. Which is a clear sign of bad rotors.

You mean the drums if the problem is in the rear.

Any advice?

Thats a weird one.

yes. Considering they are newer, maybe they just need some work?

Any advice?

Thats a weird one.

yes. Considering they are newer, maybe they just need some work?

If they were somewhat new you may have some glazing due to improper break in.
Which can sometimes be corrected with a little sandpaper.

The drums are only about 10K miles old and the pads are fine.

can't have drums and pads at same time. Rotors could be warped but suddenly warp because you change tire? Maybe? bigger loading or something?

Did you remember to tighten the Lug nut? just kidding.

Its not the calipers but the rotor is possible I guess. Hek, I didn't even think about them. Thanks!

If a problem starts when you changed something, it's 99% that it's what you changed that is causing the problem.

It goes,
Suddenly I have shaking when braking, what's different?

The tires are the difference.

Do you have an old spare? Put that on one side in the rear and drive around. If there's no difference then try it on the other side. If the spare makes the shaking go away then it's something in whichever new tire you just took off.

If a problem starts when you changed something, it's 99% that it's what you changed that is causing the problem.

It goes,
Suddenly I have shaking when braking, what's different?

The tires are the difference.

Do you have an old spare? Put that on one side in the rear and drive around. If there's no difference then try it on the other side. If the spare makes the shaking go away then it's something in whichever new tire you just took off.
That ran through my mind. But it can be sooooo bad. Like the truck is about to just fall apart..

Forum List

Back