🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

BREAKING: FDA to ban trans-fats

If you really think banning trans fat will make people thinner then you are totally delusional.

Rabbi, I was using America's fatness to demonstrate America's inability to eat healthy.
Trans fat causes Coronary artery disease, not so much obesity.
If you think that the way many Americans eat doesn't effect the cost of healthcare and thusly the size of your healthcare insurance premiums, I have a tropical island for sale in the Bering Strait. I'll give a USMB posters price reduction.:cool:

Argumentum ad absurdum. Classic fallacy.
Do you think banning trans fats will result in people being healthier?

Yes. My dad is a living example. He had two heart attacks. After the second one he actually stuck to the diet that that was recommended by the nutritionist. That was over ten years ago and he's going strong and his annual physical results have been great. I believe in it 100%.

I'm sorry I made the post too hard for you overly literal mind. There's no market for trans free foods because trans free foods do not SELL enough to overwhelm competing with trans foods, which apparantly taste better. I realize that, to you, it is improper for the govt to alter a market decision, even when the decision is proven to be detrimental to health.

I see you missed the pic of the potato chips proclaiming no trans fats. There obviously is a market for that, otherwise no one would label it such.
Trans fats are not detrimental to health. eating lots of them over many years might be. But people ought to take responsibility for their own health and monitor what they eat.

The market has proven ineffective in removing trans fats because MOST PACKAGED FOOD HAVE THEM. I realize you don't think the govt should be able to override consumer choice even when the choice is proven to be detrimental to the health of the population. Fine, take it to the ballot box.

And packaged food is what the welfare class easts.

I'm sorry I made the post too hard for you overly literal mind. There's no market for trans free foods because trans free foods do not SELL enough to overwhelm competing with trans foods, which apparantly taste better. I realize that, to you, it is improper for the govt to alter a market decision, even when the decision is proven to be detrimental to health.

I see you missed the pic of the potato chips proclaiming no trans fats. There obviously is a market for that, otherwise no one would label it such.
Trans fats are not detrimental to health. eating lots of them over many years might be. But people ought to take responsibility for their own health and monitor what they eat.

The market has proven ineffective in removing trans fats because MOST PACKAGED FOOD HAVE THEM. I realize you don't think the govt should be able to override consumer choice even when the choice is proven to be detrimental to the health of the population. Fine, take it to the ballot box.

So is everything open for the government to ban or not ban? Or, in your words, open to the ballot box? I'll repeat the question I asked earlier, where do you draw the line?

So why not just ban all unhealthy foods outright and be done with it?

This is the crux of the biscuit, as they say.

The trans fat ban is capricious.

no, you're comparing false equivalents. Trans fats can be removed, and the result is a somewhat less appealing, but more healthy, food. That's certainly not true for all foods, some of which are not as healthy. For example, we might be better off all eating more fish, though that's probably not sustainable. But, take out red meat twice a week for a soy substitute. Maybe. But that's not the same as altering what ingredients are in a product.

There might be a logical analogy if one proved that beef with anti-biotics was worse for you than anti-biotic free beef. I believe this is an issue being studied.

There might be an anology with hormone free and regular milk. But the health benefits of hormone free (assuming there are such) could be outweighed by the benefit of the lower cost of regular milk. I assume trans fats make chips last longer, but I doubt there's any great econ cost in removing them.

You, the American citizen, have just been ruled incapable of making the right decisions on what to cook and what to eat.

The government will now make those decisions for you. For your own good.

Why the government is more qualified than you are, has not been explained.

As the article describes, if there's something you want to put in your food, you'll have to petition the government for permission. The article notes that such petition will likely not be approved.

Move along.

----------------------------------------------------------------

FDA to ban artery-clogging trans fats - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

FDA to ban artery-clogging trans fats

Posted: Nov 07, 2013 9:45 AM PST
Updated: Nov 07, 2013 9:48 AM PST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S., Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday it will require the food industry to gradually phase out artificial trans fats, saying they are a threat to Americans' health. Commissioner Margaret Hamburg said the move could prevent 20,000 heart attacks and 7,000 deaths each year.

Hamburg said that while the amount of trans fats in the country's diet has declined dramatically in the last decade, they "remain an area of significant public health concern." The trans fats have long been criticized by nutritionists, and New York City and other local governments have banned them.

Though they have been removed from many items, the fats are still found in processed foods, including in some microwave popcorns and frozen pizzas, refrigerated doughs, cookies, biscuits and ready-to-use frostings. They are also sometimes used by restaurants that use the fats for frying. Many larger chains have phased them out, but smaller restaurants may still get food containing trans fats from suppliers.

To phase them out, the FDA said it had made a preliminary determination that trans fats no longer fall in the agency's "generally recognized as safe" category, which is reserved for thousands of additives that manufacturers can add to foods without FDA review. Once trans fats are off the list, anyone who wants to use them would have to petition the agency for a regulation allowing it, and that would likely not be approved.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Thanks to the FDA and Mayor Bloomberg I will be able to extend my life for another 50 years.

Left to my own devices I would have been dead.

BTW, is muff diving bad for me?

Considering how fat America is, it's clear that people can't monitor what they eat. Of course what trans fats do to a person's body end up effecting the cost of healthcare for everybody because we all pay for other people's stupidity.
Next time your insurance premium goes up, go ahead and scratch your size 40 waist and bitch about the government!

But since Americans are so fat that proves they ARE smart enough to...hold on....

no, you're comparing false equivalents. Trans fats can be removed, and the result is a somewhat less appealing, but more healthy, food. That's certainly not true for all foods, some of which are not as healthy. For example, we might be better off all eating more fish, though that's probably not sustainable. But, take out red meat twice a week for a soy substitute. Maybe. But that's not the same as altering what ingredients are in a product.

There might be a logical analogy if one proved that beef with anti-biotics was worse for you than anti-biotic free beef. I believe this is an issue being studied.

There might be an anology with hormone free and regular milk. But the health benefits of hormone free (assuming there are such) could be outweighed by the benefit of the lower cost of regular milk. I assume trans fats make chips last longer, but I doubt there's any great econ cost in removing them.

Purely speculation. Removing trans-fat will make foods healthier, all else remaining equal, but how likely is that? Not very I'd say.

Has the FDA banned nicotine?

Capricious and erratic.

Nice argumentum ad abusrdum. I shouldn't waste my time responding but:

How do all those actual poisions compare to something the human body is more than capable of digesting, but MAY cause increases in heart disease risks in some people?

Making someone put ingridents on a box is not banning the item.

Meat inspection for classification is paid by the industry and helps them, doesnt hurt them.

but keep being a pompous snarky jackass, it does you wonders.

martybegan said:
Hi, you have received -912 reputation points from martybegan.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Argumentum ad absurdum, you fucking douche hack.

Regards,
martybegan

Note: This is an automated message.

Hey, if you don't like getting schooled, don't post stupid shit in the first place. Not rocket surgery.

^ Has no argument to counter marty, instead whines about his neg rep by posting it. :lol:

Government takes away choice of keeping health insurance, takes away choice of purchasing trans fat. Dems, the party of less choice!

Pogo got schooled and it is obvious to everyone how weak his argument is.

I learned about trans fats long ago, I quit buying foods with trans fats in them. There are other foods I stay a way from. Educate yourself and don't rely on government.

Good. Trans fats are like glue in your arteries.

So make the choice not to eat them. No need to have government intervene.

No harm..

Lots of harm, everyone knows that government intervention hurts everyone. Look at cigarettes and other tobacco, the government lets this go on. Do you understand inhaling smoke into your lungs is bad? Why is there no ban? Money.
So government doesn't give a fuck but not job liberals are blind.

If i want to eat my way into a heart attack, that is my God-given right. At least i'll die enjoying the foods i love instead of eating some tasteless, government-supported piece of shit (Soylent Green perhaps?).

Has the FDA banned Twinkies? Nope.

Has the FDA banned nicotine? Nope. Let's not piss off Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Has the FDA banned nitrites? Nope. Let's not piss off the meatpacking industry (Chicago).

Has the FDA banned sulfites? Nope. Again, let's not piss off the meatpacking industry.

Has the FDA banned high fructose corn syrup? Oh hell no! Let's not piss off Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota and Missouri!

I guess the trans fat lobby doesn't control an important state.

Capricious and erratic.

Last edited:

Has the FDA banned nicotine? Nope. Let's not piss off Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Has the FDA banned nitrites? Nope. Let's not piss off the meatpacking industry (Chicago).

Has the FDA banned sulfites? Nope. Again, let's not piss off the meatpacking industry.

Has the FDA banned high fructose corn syrup? Oh hell no! Let's not piss off Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota and Missouri!

Capricious and erratic.

Do I , as a FREEMAN, have a right to consume nitrites, sulfites, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats?

Capricious and erratic.

Do I , as a FREEMAN, have a right to consume nitrites, sulfites, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats?

you are. if they are available :D

the regulation is mainly aimed at food industry.
and since it has manipulated it's products in so many ways to make people addicted to packaged food, I am not sure I am too outraged.

But don't even think to touch my butter :evil:

I don't ever eat packaged food, except some chips sometimes when on-call and there is no time for anything else.

People should eat food prepared by themselves from raw products - it is healthy, CHEAP and tasty.

Last edited:

Capricious and erratic.

Absolutely. As a Freeman, a Smith, a Jones, a Kowalski. Whatever.

Knock yourself out with some nicotine, fats, HFCS, and Twinkies. No pun intended...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back