BREAKING:Justices uphold Arizona's system for redistricting

In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

This is a Big Fucking Deal to quote the Vice President.

Good news - maybe it will signal the beginning of the end for all this crazy gerrymandering (from both parties).

Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission (AIRC).

The Arizona Legislature sued the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission, which voters created in 2000, claiming that the U.S. Constitution gives state legislatures a monopoly over drawing congressional maps. A ruling in favor of the Legislature could have threatened 16 states with alternative redistricting systems and killed reform efforts in many more.

This morning, the Court affirmed that the voices of regular Americans matter most – and upheld the people’s power to take redistricting out of the smoky backrooms of state legislatures and create a system for drawing political maps that is transparent and public.

Uh no, that would have been the greatest example of justice being served I could think of. Districts are put together without any regard to what is best for their constituents

No, it would not have been justice. It is not the law. If the court had taken it upon itself to decree that all states must now use a citizen appointed commission for redistricting, it would have been wholesale discarding rule of law. Redistricting is done in accordance with the law. That you or I don't like the law is not a valid reason for the court to start legislating from the bench. I fully endorse states moving to a redistricting system of independent/citizen committees. In order for that to lawfully happen, the people of the several states much engage in the political process to bring about the necessary state laws legislatively.

I certainly wish it would have stipulated that each state set one up and bar the state legislatures from drawing the lines since they obviously do so only to preserve their own power.
I agree with SwimExpert. That would have been a gross overstep.

The Court decidedly correctly.

Who sets the charter for these independent commissions?

Surely not the legislature. They've been barred from any input into elections by the SCOTUS with this ruling.

In a bad week for the GOP, the Supreme Court may well have delivered an A-Bomb to the Republican party.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Monday upheld Arizona congressional districts drawn by an independent commission and rejected a constitutional challenge from Repulicans.

The 5-4 outcome preserves efforts in 13 states to limit partisan influence in redistricting. Most notably, California uses an independent commission to draw electoral boundaries for its largest-in-the-nation congressional delegation.

--------

Basically, it blows apart the idea that those who control the State Legislatures can draw whatever crazy congressional districts they want.

So now the world "legislature" doesn't mean anything either.

Great.
I said it yesterday

SCOTUS has neutered Congress, in that they have no Power of the Purse when it comes to ACA
State governments have no say whether or not to accept subsidies
States have no say as to what the legal definition of Marriage is, despite the fact that most states arrived at that distinction by a 60/40 decision of its citizenry
Our President, and his pen, can rewrite laws on a whim

I'm glad that the recipients of all their new-found "freedom" are rejoicing

I'm weeping at the dismantling of our separation of powers

The AZ ruling puts the power to draw congressional lines into the hands of an independent commission if the citizens of a State wish to establish one.

I certainly wish it would have stipulated that each state set one up and bar the state legislatures from drawing the lines since they obviously do so only to preserve their own power.

This latest ruling is a WIN for fair-monded voters....I wish that the Texan democrats had brought up the case.

Basically, the GOP wants for redistricting to be done based on registered voters and NOT on the population number of a particular district.

actually its a win for whatever party gets control of the "non-partisan commission."

--------

So now the world "legislature" doesn't mean anything either.

Great.
I said it yesterday

SCOTUS has neutered Congress, in that they have no Power of the Purse when it comes to ACA
State governments have no say whether or not to accept subsidies
States have no say as to what the legal definition of Marriage is, despite the fact that most states arrived at that distinction by a 60/40 decision of its citizenry
Our President, and his pen, can rewrite laws on a whim

I'm glad that the recipients of all their new-found "freedom" are rejoicing

I'm weeping at the dismantling of our separation of powers

The AZ ruling puts the power to draw congressional lines into the hands of an independent commission if the citizens of a State wish to establish one.

"independent" commission, lol.

actually its a win for whatever party gets control of the "non-partisan commission."

No, as stated before, non-partisan commissions are made up of an EVEN number of partisans; whereas, a highly partisan legislature redistricts to ensure its continued survival.....just ask the slime-bucket, Tom Delay.

As this latest ruling permeates to all states, mid-term elections will be a lot fairer.
Thank you SCOTUS (or at least the less partisan members of the SC.)

Uh no, that would have been the greatest example of justice being served I could think of. Districts are put together without any regard to what is best for their constituents

No, it would not have been justice. It is not the law. If the court had taken it upon itself to decree that all states must now use a citizen appointed commission for redistricting, it would have been wholesale discarding rule of law. Redistricting is done in accordance with the law. That you or I don't like the law is not a valid reason for the court to start legislating from the bench. I fully endorse states moving to a redistricting system of independent/citizen committees. In order for that to lawfully happen, the people of the several states much engage in the political process to bring about the necessary state laws legislatively.
Yes, I know. I was commenting on what I wish would have happened.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

--------

Thank you Supreme Court! This single ruling has the potential to have a tremendous impact on elections. As it can eliminate permanent 'safe' seats. And make elections competitive again.

Boo Yah!

The OP's logic is flawed. The system the SCOTUS upheld is one of an independent panel comprised of 2 Democrats, 2 Republicans and 1 Independent to draw up districts, removing this activity from the purview of the legislature. Assuming that the Independent will always fall in with the Dems is a false hope.

The OP's logic is flawed. The system the SCOTUS upheld is one of an independent panel comprised of 2 Democrats, 2 Republicans and 1 Independent to draw up districts, removing this activity from the purview of the legislature. Assuming that the Independent will always fall in with the Dems is a false hope.

Lets hope the independent is independent. It will produce exactly what I'm hoping for: the elimination of permanently 'safe' seats.

You don't think this is a better system than the clearly partisan system of allowing the state legislature to draw the dustricts as they please?

Forum List

Back