Breaking News: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Just Convicted On 20 Out Of 21 Counts

I'm honestly sorry about denigrating your state. Wasn't my intention. I've been to New Orleans several times. My Wife has family down there and we have visited them on several occasions.I was actually referring to the repressive heat in the middle of summer. My GOD! it gets hot and muggy there…..that and the countless number of folks puking in the streets. :eusa_whistle:

But seriously, I ask your forgiveness. My bad.

no problem, it does get hot in the summer. but record cold this winter. Global warming sucks.

And for all the democratrs on USMB---------Nagin is a democrat.

"Former Republican businessman Ray Nagin became a Democrat and beat several other candidates to become the mayor of New Orleans in 2002"

As long as there's an election or opening where it's an advantage, he'll pass himself off as a crossdressing Swedish-speaking vampire if that's what it takes. As we said from the beginning, what he is and always has been is an Opportunist. So opportunity knocked, and he busted the door down, and it came back to bite him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving asshole. Long may he rot.

Nagin had never run for political office before running for mayor. He did support Jindal (R) for governor, and thats one of the reasons that he and Blanco could not work together after Katrina--they hated each other.

Nagin ran as a democrat and governed as a democrat-------he was and is a corrupt democrat.

Randall, you are right about Nagin, but wrong about this state and the city of New Orleans.

Come down for Mardi Gras, a Saints game, St. Pats day, Jazz fest, visit one of our great restaurants, or just walk the quarter and the levees. What you will find is a multi cultural multi racial city that gets along, celebrates our diversity, and knows how to have a good time.

Nagin fooled a lot of people. He was an executive with Cox cable so a lot of people thought he would bring an honest business approach to the mayors office, instead he brought racism and corruption. He belongs in jail.

I'm honestly sorry about denigrating your state. Wasn't my intention. I've been to New Orleans several times. My Wife has family down there and we have visited them on several occasions.I was actually referring to the repressive heat in the middle of summer. My GOD! it gets hot and muggy there…..that and the countless number of folks puking in the streets. :eusa_whistle:

no problem, it does get hot in the summer. but record cold this winter. Global warming sucks.

Are you sure about that? I don't recall ABC. CBS, NBC, NSNBC reporting that in their 12 second stories about the guy.

Funny how they run like cowards when it comes to their "honest" reporting…...

Are you sure about that? I don't recall ABC. CBS, NBC, NSNBC reporting that in their 12 second stories about the guy.

Right, If he was a republican the lead story of every MSM outlet would be "republican mayor Ray Nagin convicted of corruption"

Our biased media is one of the most dangerous aspects of our current society

Nagin had never run for political office before running for mayor. He did support Jindal (R) for governor, and thats one of the reasons that he and Blanco could not work together after Katrina--they hated each other.

Nagin ran as a democrat and governed as a democrat-------he was and is a corrupt democrat.

And Bush too, you left out (2004). All he supported were Republicans. Because he were one.

Breaking News: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Just Convicted On 20 Out Of 21 Counts
This proves the cons don't have a monopoly on greed.

Hmmmm, Nagin is not unique, how about if we look into the democrat mayors of most of our major cities, shall we?

DC
Detroit
Chicago
LA
Atanta
SFO
NY

Which of those cities has improved under democrat leadership ? How many of those dem mayors are either in jail or under indictment?

Your're actually suggesting party politics has something to do with governing at the city level?

:lmao: The young and the clueless... A mayor is a local manager, not a frickin' statesman.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, he is the scumbag Mayor that got people killed and stuck in New Orleans because he didn't think using school busses to evacuate people was a good idea....it was all Buuuuuuuuush's fault.

That's because defining his party, whatever it's worth, is a moving target. We'll say it yet again, as we said at the beginning of this thread, as New Orleanians have been saying since he first ran for office -- Ray Nagin is an Opportunist. That's the only political philosophy he's truly faithful to. If it would benefit him to run as a Hindu, he'd be all over it tomorrow. So when he went to run for mayor, he switched to the only designation, for those who enslave themselves to party-letter designations, that had any shot at getting the job, which was the (D).

>> But Nagin had such a strange and checkered political career. In 2001 he was a Republican businessman. In 2002 he was a Democrat running for the only political office he ever held. In 2003, after he asked GOP gubernatorial candidate Bobby Jindal what he could do for New Orleans and got a detailed response, he was that rarest of birds: a black Democratic mayor endorsing a Republican. (Jindal lost that race, narrowly.)

In 2006, Nagin was still a Democrat—and apparently, screwed. A largely white group of contenders filed to challenge him in the all-party "jungle primary." The winners of the first round, as I said above, were Nagin and Landrieu. The fourth-place finisher was Rob Couhig, a Republican businessman whom I remember because his ads were so weird.

Couhig never expected to win, but when he lost, he endorsed ... Nagin. Yes. The guy he'd mocked with the sound of a cuckoo clock in that TV ad. The guy who'd attempted to shore up the black vote by promising that New Orleans would remain "a chocolate city." In the runoff, Nagin was the conservative, relatively speaking, while Landrieu was the liberal and ambitious lifelong Democrat, son of a previous mayor, brother of the state's last Democratic senator. People watching the race absent-mindedly were shocked when Nagin, eight months after Hurricane Katrina, won the runoff by taking 80 percent of the black vote and 20 percent of the white vote. Republicans—just enough of them—held their noses and voted for the guy who wasn't a predictable Democrat.
<< (the weird and forgotten politics of New Orleans' ex-mayor)

More?

>> In 2001, dismayed at his son's plans to leave New Orleans because there were no jobs, Mr Nagin decided to stand for mayor of the city they call The Big Easy.

Ray Nagin the Republican repositioned himself as Ray Nagin the Democrat, but still preached a can-do creed, challenging African-Americans to make the free-market dream work for them.
<< (Profile: Ray Nagin)

Are we beginning to see Nagin's campaigning had far more to do with race than with party? No?

And with local dynasties...

>> He may have been a flop, and perhaps a crook, at City Hall. But on the campaign trail, he was something of a savant. His unlikely 2006 re-election, against then-Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, amounted to an impressive political high-wire act.

Up against a well-funded, establishment-backed opponent who happened to be a member of the state&#8217;s leading Democratic family, the son of the first mayor to integrate city government and a talented politician in his own right, Nagin pieced together the unlikeliest of coalitions.

He appealed to black residents, particularly those displaced by Katrina, who feared a post-storm power and property grab. He also appealed to white Republicans who don&#8217;t like Landrieu and his family and didn&#8217;t want to cede his senator sister Mary a power base in Louisiana&#8217;s most Democratic city.

Although the two groups had practically nothing in common other than an adversary, Nagin managed to craft a message that appealed to both and alienated neither.

His embrace of the free market sent a message to displaced residents that he wouldn&#8217;t declare some areas off-limits for redevelopment and to philosophical conservatives that he wouldn&#8217;t govern with a heavy hand (as lagniappe, it also allowed him to sidestep some difficult policy choices).
<< (Prospects for a "Nagin Coalition)

It's a tiny bit deeper than the simplistic hacks who can't read past a single capital letter would have us believe. In seven-point shout-down fonts. It would be oh so convenient if we could pigeonhole everybody on the planet with either a (D) or an (R) and pretend the whole world wears a black or white hat. If we were intellectually arrested at age four.

More to follow.

Last edited:
The criminal Mayors in this city on average are DEMOCRAP.

Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, New Orleans, etc.....have had numerous corrupt and incompetent Mayors run their cities into the ground.

Nagan was business as usual in New Orleans. In fact, Louisiana in general. I remember when we were given the choice of voting for the crock or the Grand Wizard of the KKK for governor. A lot of people thought that it all started with Huey Long. In reality, Huey only took it one step higher by attempting to import Louisiana politics to the federal level.

(Nomadic Politics) >> Nagin's Sudden Switch
In 2002, days before the New Orleans mayoral election, Nagin switched to the Democratic party. Prior to this, Nagin was a registered Republican. While a business executive, he gave donations to both parties. Although he claimed to be a Democrat, Nagin was not much of one. For instance, he campaigned for a Republican candidate for Governor, Bobby Jindal.

Addicting Info peels back the layer on this party confusion: <<

(over to that link)...

>> If Nagin was a Democrat, he sure had an odd way of showing it.

During his entire adult life, Nagin was registered as a Republican. Then, just before deciding to run for mayor of New Orleans in 2002, he switched his party to Democrat.

Nagin was both the VP and General Manager of the New Orleans cable company, Cox Communications, prior to running for mayor of the city, in 2002.

While he listed himself as a Dem on the ballot, as a candidate, his platform was nearly the same as that of his GOP rivals. He campaigned as a &#8216;pro-business reformer.&#8217; He also painted himself as a political outsider, who was running against the city&#8217;s career politicians.

During his 2002 campaign, Nagin pushed a pro-business agenda, as designed by the Bureau of Governmental Research. Contrary to right-wing talking points, he was not backed by either the GOP or the Democrats. He financed his own campaign for mayor, using mostly his own resources. At the start of the race, Nagin was also an unknown, except within New Orleans&#8217; very wealthy business circles.

Nagin won the 2002 election with support from a majority of white voters. He won in every single majority white district in the city. He also got some support from the city&#8217;s wealthy black community, while the majority of middle and lower-income blacks did not vote for him.

Nagin&#8217;s ties to the GOP were exposed by Paul Alexander.

During the height of the hurricane Katrina fiasco, Nagin was a Bush apologist. He helped to shift blame to LA&#8217;s Democratic governor, rather than putting it on the Bush administration, where it belonged. He did not do it out of any sense of sincerity.

In 2008, Nagin&#8217;s close connections with Karl Rove were exposed in the book &#8220;[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Machiavellis-Shadow-Rise-Fall-Karl/dp/B003D7JX5K"]Machiavelli&#8217;s Shadow: The Rise and Fall of Karl Rove[/ame],&#8221; by Paul Alexander.

&#8220;In short, Rove was going to blame (governor) Blanco (D) for the failure of the response in Louisiana, and to do that he was going to use Nagin. (Rove) had already set the plan in motion on Tuesday with Nagin, who, even though he was a Democrat, was so close to the Republican Party that some members of the African American community in New Orleans called him Ray Reagan.&#8221;

The book also exposed Nagin as a contributor to the Bush campaign. He put up $2,000 to help elect the GOP president, in 2000.
<< ("Fake Democrat" Busted)

The point of all this is summed up later on the same page:

>> The problem, in a nutshell, is that a Republican, calling himself a Republican, would not get elected in New Orleans. Between 2002 -2004 less than 15 percent of voters in the city of New Orleans claimed to support the GOP.

One lesson that voters must take from the Nagin scandal is that voting a straight party ticket, without checking out a candidate&#8217;s history or policies, is not a good idea.
<< (ibid)

In fact no candidate calling himself a Republican has been elected to that office since the nineteenth century.

Again, it would be so convenient if life were reduced to a child's game of cowboys and Indians where all you had to see what the color of the hat. Apparently some of us are content to stay in that simplistic playpen even as adults.

(/resists the urge to make allusion to David Vitter's diapers...)

Last edited:

Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, New Orleans, etc.....have had numerous corrupt and incompetent Mayors run their cities into the ground.

Bizarrely, two of the most crooked New England mayors (Buddy Cianci and Kevin White) were and are the most popular! (If Cianci could run again, he would win!)

Then again, the last THREE speakers of the house in the MA state legislature wound up convicted...two (Sal DiMasi and "Good Time Charlie" Flaherty) went to the can, Tom Finneran managed a sweetheart deal to avoid prison.

Yeah, it's an epidemic. Democrats seem to bring corrupt Third World Misery everywhere they go. So why do so many continue voting for them? It's a real conundrum.

In fact no candidate calling himself a Republican has been elected to that office since the nineteenth century.

Which pretty much explains why it is a shithole ... No matter how you want to slice it.
Nagan could be one thing or another ... But it is the Democrats that keep electing the garbage into office.

The sad part is that you know the difference ... And pretend you could blame any of the crap in New Orleans on the less than 15% of the people who support the GOP.
Whether you want to admit it or not ... It was the Democrats that elected Nagan and put the crook in office.

Keep digging ... Keep explaining exactly why New Orleans is in the mess it is.

Which pretty much explains why it is a shithole ... No matter how you want to slice it.
Nagan could be one thing or another ... But it is the Democrats that keep electing the garbage into office.

The sad part is that you know the difference ... And pretend you could blame any of the crap in New Orleans on the less than 15% of the people who support the GOP.
Whether you want to admit it or not ... It was the Democrats that elected Nagan and put the crook in office.

BOOYAH! Perfectly stated. Yeah, it's all the 15%ers' fault. And of course DA BOOOOOSH's too. How long before the Obamabots start claiming Obama isn't 'really' a Democrat either?

Last edited:

Your idiot idea that only Democrats can vote in New Orleans is the same degree of idiocy it was last week. Provably not the case; again I never registered with a political party and it didn't slow me down from voting, ever. That's insane. As you can see from my recent links (if you actually read them), Nagin got voted in by a coalition of white, wealthy and business-oriented voters, and did so on his own resources in spite of the Democratic machine, not because of it. Much the same as David Duke did to become a Ku Klux Kongresscritter with an (R) after his name. Same reason: that's the letter you need to win in that area.

But do enlighten us -- perhaps only Republicans are allowed to vote in Metairie. I never lived in Metairie, though I did live in Kenner. And I still got to vote there too.

Democrats running cities is a common phenomenon, which is why Nagin the Republican had to switch to Nagin the Democrat. The question of why that is is a whole 'nother exercise in contemporary sociology, but it's hardly unique to New Orleans. The question it raises might be, why can't Republicans figure out a way to win in the cities (and its corollary, why can't Democrats win in the suburbs)? That's fodder for another thread, but in Nagin's case he simply saw that his (R) wasn't gonna fly, regardless what that reason is, so he switched to a (D) for the ballot while continuing to act as an (R).

NONE of which has anything to do with corruption, which is a personal flaw.

Last edited:

Your idiot idea that only Democrats can vote in New Orleans is the same degree of idiocy it was last week. Provably not the case; again I never registered with a political party and it didn't slow me down from voting, ever. That's insane. As you can see from my recent links (if you actually read them), Nagin got voted in by a coalition of white, wealthy and business-oriented voters, and did so on his own resources in spite of the Democratic machine, not because of it. Much the same as David Duke did to become a Ku Klux Kongresscritter with an (R) after his name. Same reason: that's the letter you need to win in that area.

But do enlighten us -- perhaps only Republicans are allowed to vote in Metairie. I never lived in Metairie, though I did live in Kenner. And I still got to vote there too.

Democrats running cities is a common phenomenon, which is why Nagin the Republican had to switch to Nagin the Democrat. The question of why that is is a whole 'nother exercise in contemporary sociology, but it's hardly unique to New Orleans. The question it raises might be, why can't Republicans figure out a way to win in the cities? That's fodder for another thread, but in Nagin's case he simply saw that (R) wasn't gonna fly, regardless what that reason is, so he switched to a (D) for the ballot while continuing to act as an (R).

:dig: So Nagin IS a Democrat? Man, you're really struggling with this one. Probably a good time for you to give it up and exit the thread gracefully. Have a good one. :)

Democrats running cities is a common phenomenon, which is why Nagin the Republican had to switch to Nagin the Democrat. The question of why that is is a whole 'nother exercise in contemporary sociology, but it's hardly unique to New Orleans. The question it raises might be, why can't Republicans figure out a way to win in the cities? That's fodder for another thread, but in Nagin's case he simply saw that (R) wasn't gonna fly, regardless what that reason is, so he switched to a (D) for the ballot while continuing to act as an (R).

:dig: So Nagin IS a Democrat? Man, you're really struggling with this one. Probably a good time for you to give it up and exit the thread gracefully. Have a good one. :)

Nagin IS an opportunist, as I've been saying in every post in this thread. Nothing changed. Except your own pathetic me-too thread trying to attribute corruption to a letter behind a name died. How much does it hurt when a Steve McRacist thread is superior to your own?

Yeah, a "Democrat" who endorses George Bush and Bobby Jindal. A "Democrat" who works with Karl Rove and David Vitter to undermine the Democrat governor. A "Democrat" who runs a campaign on his own funds to defeat the Democratic machine candidate. Brilliant, Einstein.

Good luck with the reading lessons. Study hard, you have a lot of work ahead.

Last edited:

Nagin IS an opportunist, as I've been saying in every post in this thread.

Yeah, a "Democrat" who endorses George Bush and Bobby Jindal. A "Democrat" who works with Karl Rove and David Vitter to undermine the Democrat governor. A "Democrat" who runs a campaign on his own funds to defeat the Democratic machine candidate. Brilliant, Einstein.

Good luck with the reading lessons. Study hard, you have a lot of work ahead.

So he IS a Democrat? Yeah, you're just spinning your wheels on this one now. Time to stop embarrassing yourself and exit the thread gracefully. You're dismissed son. Exit's thataway :arrow:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back