Breakthrough Nasa image shows ‘Cosmic Gems’ that could help solve mystery of how the universe formed.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
New images of a distant young galaxies could help solve the mystery of how the stars that surround us firs formed, according to scientists.

The new pictures come from Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope and shows the galaxy Cosmic Gems arc. They confirm that the light from that galaxy was sent out when the universe was only 460 million years ago.

The galaxy is notable because it shows an effect called gravitational lensing, when the curvature of space time works something like a magnifying glass. That has not been seen in other galaxies of a comparable age, and so the Cosmic Gems arc offers a unique opportunity to look relatively closely at the beginnings of our universe.

We know how stars and galaxies form after the CMB epoch ... these new image may fill in some minor details but gravity is the operative force ...

"We conclude that star cluster formation and feedback likely contributed to 3 shape the properties of galaxies during the epoch of reionization."

All you did was copy/paste ... you didn't add any content ... why do you think this helps to solve some mystery you seem to think we have about star formation ... the only mystery is why neutrinos change flavor en route? ...

[yawn] ... wake me when LIGO is at scale ...

We know how stars and galaxies form after the CMB epoch ... these new image may fill in some minor details but gravity is the operative force ...

"We conclude that star cluster formation and feedback likely contributed to 3 shape the properties of galaxies during the epoch of reionization."

All you did was copy/paste ... you didn't add any content ... why do you think this helps to solve some mystery you seem to think we have about star formation ... the only mystery is why neutrinos change flavor en route? ...

[yawn] ... wake me when LIGO is at scale ...

You’re one of “those”, are you? I was getting on to the discussion bit, if you could extend your attention span.

Enjoy your nap. :bigbed:

Christianity has only recently (50 -60 years) adopted the Big Bang theory and so will be reluctant to accept any change from that for at least another 50 years.

That's already found its way into this discussion.

Christianity has only recently (50 -60 years) adopted the Big Bang theory and so will be reluctant to accept any change from that for at least another 50 years.

That's already found its way into this discussion.

Which Big Bang Theory? ... my Bible says "In the Beginning, God created Heaven and Earth" ...

It's been an hour, still waiting for the OP's commentary ... we pointed the largest telescope ever put in space towards a rather interesting object and viola ... we get some interesting pictures ... I hope Hamas will stop killing Palestinians because of this, but maybe that's just the Christian in me talking ...

Which Big Bang Theory? ... my Bible says "In the Beginning, God created Heaven and Earth" ...
Well yes, there's still that but most have interpreted that to mean the 'Big Bang' theory. They've found a way to make it be the same thing as creation.

Surely you are familiar with the debating points of sophisticated Christians on this board?
It's been an hour, still waiting for the OP's commentary ... we pointed the largest telescope ever put in space towards a rather interesting object and viola ... we get some interesting pictures ... I hope Hamas will stop killing Palestinians because of this, but maybe that's just the Christian in me talking ...
I get that some Christians don't accept the BB theory and I consider that wise for not making a commitment. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Our Ding and Meriweather are stuck with having to own science's explanations that are subject to periodic change.

Ding even explains that the BB theory is upsetting to atheists!

Well yes, there's still that but most have interpreted that to mean the 'Big Bang' theory. They've found a way to make it be the same thing as creation.

Surely you are familiar with the debating points of sophisticated Christians on this board?

I get that some Christians don't accept the BB theory and I consider that wise for not making a commitment. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Our Ding and Meriweather are stuck with having to own science's explanations that are subject to periodic change.

Ding even explains that the BB theory is upsetting to atheists!

You brought up Christianity ... "love your brother as you love yourself" isn't really cosmological ...

We have a "pinhole" opening to the universe's early history ... remarkable in of itself ... I'm glad to see the powers that be thought to point Webb that direction ...

No planets? ... is the universe old enough to be anything but hydrogen? ... just protons and electrons all swirling around ionized and not associating which each other ... I'd like to see a decent sized Interferometer pointed that direction, let's see what the surfaces of these stars look like ...

You brought up Christianity ... "love your brother as you love yourself" isn't really cosmological ...

We have a "pinhole" opening to the universe's early history ... remarkable in of itself ... I'm glad to see the powers that be thought to point Webb that direction ...

No planets? ... is the universe old enough to be anything but hydrogen? ... just protons and electrons all swirling around ionized and not associating which each other ... I'd like to see a decent sized Interferometer pointed that direction, let's see what the surfaces of these stars look like ...
What the hell are you on about?
I wasn't expecting a reply from you, I was just interested in using your lack of direction to refer to the contradictions of some of the Christians.
Fwiw, your lack of direction leaves you safe from being questioned. I think that perhaps your faith allows you to wait for the proof to be presented to mankind and you don't believe there's much time to wait.

Patience is the key, while Ding and Meriweather can't wait and so stumble into accepting unsound theories.

Patience is the key, while Ding and Meriweather can't wait and so stumble into accepting unsound theories.
You mean like the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence? Unsound theories like that?

New images of a distant young galaxies could help solve the mystery of how the stars that surround us firs formed, according to scientists.

The new pictures come from Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope and shows the galaxy Cosmic Gems arc. They confirm that the light from that galaxy was sent out when the universe was only 460 million years ago.

The galaxy is notable because it shows an effect called gravitational lensing, when the curvature of space time works something like a magnifying glass. That has not been seen in other galaxies of a comparable age, and so the Cosmic Gems arc offers a unique opportunity to look relatively closely at the beginnings of our universe.

Galactic and Stellar evolution, yes. Cosmic evolution, no.

1719256026405.png

Galactic and Stellar evolution, yes. Cosmic evolution, no.

View attachment 966886

Where are you getting information from before 345 millions after the Big Bang? ... the OP is in the transparent era, so there's no help there ...

I don't understand what happened while the universe was opaque, no one does ... just like I don't understand why God created Heaven and Earth, no one does ... at 460 million, we can watch stars form ... we all understand the basics of that I assume ... good to know it happens the same way as it does in the more recent past ...

Yes, the universe was created ~14 billion years ago, and was not created from pre-existing matter. Congratulations. You are finally starting to learn the science.

Was there just a big empty space there?

Where are you getting information from before 345 millions after the Big Bang? ... the OP is in the transparent era, so there's no help there ...

I don't understand what happened while the universe was opaque, no one does ... just like I don't understand why God created Heaven and Earth, no one does ... at 460 million, we can watch stars form ... we all understand the basics of that I assume ... good to know it happens the same way as it does in the more recent past ...
The universe was opaque for all of ~380,000 years. These guys are talking about the universe at 460 million years. That's in the matter era, not the radiation era.

I take exception with the statement from the OP's link that these observations are observing the beginnings of the universe. They aren't. They are observing stellar/galactic evolution. Not the same thing.

The universe was opaque for all of ~380,000 years. These guys are talking about the universe at 460 million years. That's in the matter era, not the radiation era.

I take exception with the statement from the OP's link that these observations are observing the beginnings of the universe. They aren't. They are observing stellar/galactic evolution. Not the same thing.

My mistake, the CMB Epoch began at 380,000 years, thank you ... my exception was the claim this gives us great insight into stellar and galactic formation ... it is only confirming what we already know ...

Gravity is to blame ...

My mistake, the CMB Epoch began at 380,000 years, thank you ... my exception was the claim this gives us great insight into stellar and galactic formation ... it is only confirming what we already know ...

Gravity is to blame ...
I don't know. It could change the way we see galactic formation. It's cool. More information is great and all. I'm not knocking it. I'm just setting expectations. I don't see this as providing new information to the creation of space and time. Unless of course it totally up ends e=mc^2.

Forum List

Back