Brian Williams Death Penalty QUestion

The Death Penalty will become the next gay marriage type social issue as red states cling to their right to vengeance and Blue States phase it out

Most of the world already look at us as barbarians for our government enforced executions. We will gradually move to a point where exertions are looked at as a remnant of our sordid past

Why do you care what the rest of the world thinks.

We will survive as a culture while the rest of Europe falls under Sharia, and Christians are an oppressed minority.

I don't care what cowards think and I'm not sure why you do.

It's kind of funny that the very same people that say the government gets just about everything wrong...trusts the government when it comes to killing people.

Whether that may be invading other nations..or executing our own.

Funny and scary.

Only to you, man.

For most of us, it's pretty clear. When somene burns his three infant daughters alive to collect the insurance, that guy needs killing.

As you say, "It's just that simple".

Well, the murder rate by those who got put down dropped to zero point zero zero zero per cent.

And the fact remains, that if you dont commit murder you wont get the death penalty.

Is that completely true? I've heard there were some posthumous exonerations happening in Texas.

Holy shit. That's horrible.

Not only is our justice system imperfect, but ... well ... it's not perfect, either.

And the fact remains, that if you dont commit murder you wont get the death penalty.

Is that completely true? I've heard there were some posthumous exonerations happening in Texas.

Not only is our justice system imperfect, but ... well ... it's not perfect, either.

I'm sure you'd feel the same way if it was a friend or family member, or hell, maybe you actually would.

Well, the murder rate by those who got put down dropped to zero point zero zero zero per cent.

Honestly dont know. I found and posted one from Pueblo a Colorado case in 1936. If they were seriously coming in Texas it would be all over the news, especially if any of the executions happened under Perry's watch.

I'm sure you'd feel the same way if it was a friend or family member, or hell, maybe you actually would.

That would suck, but Again, that's what happens when you do murder in a state that has the death penalty.

Honestly dont know. I found and posted one from Pueblo a Colorado case in 1936. If they were seriously coming in Texas it would be all over the news, especially if any of the executions happened under Perry's watch.

Fair enough. I'd guess it's possible it's happened over the course of the last 50 years, but it's just a guess...though the list of exonerated members of death row nationwide somewhat support my theory.

Fair enough. I'd guess it's possible it's happened over the course of the last 50 years, but it's just a guess...though the list of exonerated members of death row nationwide somewhat support my theory.

It would, that is true.

Of course not. In EACH case, you idiot, the GOAL is to make sure that justice is DONE, not just paid lip service.

You idiot.

But even so, if you think that there's ANY mechanism that mere human beings can conjure up that will solve this potential for the justice system being wrong from time to time, you are purely delusional.

Lots of people like to offer the pablum notion that "it is better that 100 guilty men go free than that 1 innocent man be convicted." Great if you're that one innocent guy. Not so great if you happen to live in the "society" where the guilty cannot GET convicted. When you can't convict a fucking murderer, and 100s of them therefore go free, how many innocent members of society are GOING to get murdered, genius?

Of course not. In EACH case, you idiot, the GOAL is to make sure that justice is DONE, not just paid lip service.

You idiot.

But even so, if you think that there's ANY mechanism that mere human beings can conjure up that will solve this potential for the justice system being wrong from time to time, you are purely delusional.

Lots of people like to offer the pablum notion that "it is better that 100 guilty men go free than that 1 innocent man be convicted." Great if you're that one innocent guy. Not so great if you happen to live in the "society" where the guilty cannot GET convicted. When you can't convict a fucking murderer, and 100s of them therefore go free, how many innocent members of society are GOING to get murdered, genius?

You're right. The only other option besides killing them is to let them go free. :doubt:

You idiot.

You're right. The only other option besides killing them is to let them go free. :doubt:

No. You can settle the question of guilt or non-guilt by lowering the burden of proof to get more convictions. Or, to avoid the prospect of either an erroneous conviction (or, worse yet, the erroneous imposition of a death penalty sentence) you can RAISE the burden of proof. Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt can't insure perfect justice. Ergo, the standard has to be "proof beyond all possible doubt." Right? :doubt:

How many convictions are you gonna get then, Chumley?

You idiot.

No. You can settle the question of guilt or non-guilt by lowering the burden of proof to get more convictions. Or, to avoid the prospect of either an erroneous conviction (or, worse yet, the erroneous imposition of a death penalty sentence) you can RAISE the burden of proof. Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt can't insure perfect justice. Ergo, the standard has to be "proof beyond all possible doubt." Right? :doubt:

How many convictions are you gonna get then, Chumley?

DNA testing is considered by most to determine guilt or non-guilt beyond all possible doubt, as past exonerations have proven. Why not require irrefutable scientific evidence to implement the death penalty? I have no problem with that. You'll still get the same amount of convictions as before, it will only alter the possible sentence. I'm assuming this would affect more people that have already been on death row for some time rather than newer cases where DNA testing is readily available during an investigation and is intently gathered if possible in order to establish the strongest case. I'm not anti-death penalty, and I understand that nothing is fail-safe. I just want to be as sure as humanly possible.

Forum List

Back