Broad beans will save the world

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

They probably already would but there is no profit in broad beans. My late neighbour was King Bean and I gave up growing them because he brought us more beans than we could handle.

I may start up again. Ive got the canes still.

Beans are truly a wonder drug, the health benefits they provide, and I"m sorry to say I'm not taking advantage of them enough, although I just made some Loubya soup and froze it. This is the first time I"ve heard of actual mental benefits of eating them. I will be learning more about theae.

They probably already would but there is no profit in broad beans. My late neighbour was King Bean and I gave up growing them because he brought us more beans than we could handle.

I may start up again. Ive got the canes still.

This should go under the Survival / Prepping section...if they would make one here.

I'm no good at gardening. You have to be a slave to it. I do grow fruit tree, lots of them. They are self-sufficient once established...more or less.

bud lite cowboy.jpg

Beans are truly a wonder drug, the health benefits they provide, and I"m sorry to say I'm not taking advantage of them enough, although I just made some Loubya soup and froze it. This is the first time I"ve heard of actual mental benefits of eating them. I will be learning more about theae.
Whats in the soup ?

Never heard of broad beans. Are they like edamame where you don't eat the pod?
While the beans are young, barely longer than your index finger, you can eat them pod and all. A few weeks on, each shelled bean no larger than the diameter of penny piece, they are good for eating in their thin paper skins. Even when they are as old as the hills, when the pods are lumpy and the shape of the beans is clearly visible through the fur-lined pod, they can be steamed, popped from their skins and mashed to a creamy paste for eating with flatbreads.

This should go under the Survival / Prepping section...if they would make one here.

I'm no good at gardening. You have to be a slave to it. I do grow fruit tree, lots of them. They are self-sufficient once established...more or less.

View attachment 985614

Question
Do you have to have 2 of the same fruit trees?
We had some landscaping done and they planted 1 small apple tree and 1 small fig or pear I can't remember. Will these ever produce fruit with just 1 tree? Both trees are I'm hoping as big as they will get.

Question
Do you have to have 2 of the same fruit trees?
We had some landscaping done and they planted 1 small apple tree and 1 small fig or pear I can't remember. Will these ever produce fruit with just 1 tree? Both trees are I'm hoping as big as they will get.
I think apple trees do. Maybe your neighbour has an apple tree.?

I think apple trees do. Maybe your neighbour has an apple tree.?
Depends on whether they are a self-fertilizing variety. Some apple trees need a different other variety to produce.

As for your beans, do as you like. We grow a few different types of other beans. Not a huge fan of them as a crop just because they are labor intensive.

Depends on whether they are a self-fertilizing variety. Some apple trees need a different other variety to produce.

As for your beans, do as you like. We grow a few different types of other beans. Not a huge fan of them as a crop just because they are labor intensive.
Ive only recently taken them up. Well a few years ago.
My nan used to cook them when I was little. She made a stew with the beans and thick creamy sauce and bacon. It looked interesting and she treated like a delicay.
I always dodged it because I hated "Old people food"..
I suspect it was a recipe from harder times., Ive never seen it since. I asked Mrs T about it and she told me I was delusional. And she is Irish. They know all about poverty.

Forum List

Back