Budgeting weekly meals

Snacks:

Granola bars (12)
Vanilla Sugar wafers
Strawberry Sugar wafers
Cheese crackers 4 pks of 2
Pears (4)

This thread is to prove to JoeB that you can feed a family of 4 for 119.00 a week or less.

Did my shopping at Albertsons, Sprouts,Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Store

All on my way home from work ( no special trips)

Oatmeal 13 servings 1.00
Cheerios 9 servings 1.49
Milk (2 gallons) 3.98
Strawberries .97 carton
Blackberries .97 carton
Pears 4 lbs 2.00 (16)
Butter 1.00
Eggs ( 18 ct) 2.49
Bacon ( buy 1 get 2) 3.99
Tina's Burritos 4/1.00
Spanish rice 2/1.50
Broccoli cheddar rice .75
White cheddar rice .75
American cheese 1.00
Bread 3/3.00
Tomato Soup 2/1.00
Chicken Noodle Soup (3) 1.50
Pork n beans 2/1.00
Tuna 4/2.00
Lettuce (3) 2.97
Mayo 1.00
Cheese crackers 4pks 2/2.00
Cucumbers 4/2.00
Radishes 4/2.00
Marinated pork cubes ( buy one get one) 6.29
Red bell pepper 4/1.00
Onion 2/1.00
Canned corn (4) 2.00
Ground turkey 2.77
Spaghetti .75
Tri color pasta .75
Pasta sauce 1.00
Italian dressing 1.00
Ranch dressing 1.00
Cream chicken soup .75
Cheese 2/3.98
Fresh broccoli 2 lbs for 1.98
Chicken thighs (5pk) 2.91
Canned peas 2/1.00
Canned green beans 2/1.00
Steak ( buy one get one ) 5.39
Mac n cheese 2/1.00
Squash 1 1/2 lbs 1.49
Tomatoes 1 1/2 lb 1.49
Frozen spinach 2/1.50
Tea bags 1.00
Country Time pink lemonade 2.48
Tang 2.48
Strawberry/ vanilla sugar wafers 2/1.50
Grapes 1.98 2 lbs
Granola bars 2/3.98 (12 total)
Concentrated apple Juice 2/2.59

Total 98.41
Where the heck do you get a pound of butter for a dollar and a gallon of milk for $1.99?

Albertsons... Blue bonnet stick butter and the store brand milk is on sale this week.

Plus they have a lot of meat priced buy one get one.
I just looked at their weekly ad and neither are on sale.

Just an aside...

Smiths also has Mountain Dairy milk two for 4.00 this week

Albertsons brand milk 1.99

Blue bonnet part of their weekly 10/10.00

Eff 7/22 - 7/28

And Dollar Tree has imperial tub butter for a dollar.

This thread is to prove to JoeB that you can feed a family of 4 for 119.00 a week or less.

Portions based on single mom and 3 small kids on SNAP.

Did my shopping at Albertsons, Sprouts,Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Store

All on my way home from work ( no special trips)

Oatmeal 13 servings 1.00
Cheerios 9 servings 1.49
Honey 1.00
Milk (2 gallons) 3.98
Strawberries .97 carton
Blackberries .97 carton
Pears 4 lbs 2.00 (16)
Butter 1.00
Eggs ( 18 ct) 2.49
Bacon ( buy 1 get 2) 3.99
Tina's Burritos 4/1.00
Spanish rice 2/1.50
Broccoli cheddar rice .75
White cheddar rice .75
American cheese 1.00
Bread 3/3.00
Tomato Soup 2/1.00
Chicken Noodle Soup (3) 1.50
Pork n beans 2/1.00
Tuna 4/2.00
Lettuce (3) 2.97
Mayo 1.00
Cheese crackers 4pks 2/2.00
Cucumbers 4/2.00
Radishes 4/2.00
Marinated pork cubes ( buy one get one) 6.29
Red bell pepper 4/1.00
Onion 2/1.00
Canned corn (4) 2.00
Ground turkey 2.77
Spaghetti .75
Tri color pasta .75
Pasta sauce 1.00
Italian dressing 1.00
Ranch dressing 1.00
Cream chicken soup .75
Cheese 2/3.98
Fresh broccoli 2 lbs for 1.98
Chicken thighs (5pk) 2.91
Canned peas 2/1.00
Canned green beans 2/1.00
Steak ( buy one get one ) 5.39
Mac n cheese 2/1.00
Squash 1 1/2 lbs 1.49
Tomatoes 1 1/2 lb 1.49
Frozen spinach 2/1.50
Tea bags 1.00
Country Time pink lemonade 2.48
Tang 2.48
Strawberry/ vanilla sugar wafers 2/1.50
Grapes 1.98 2 lbs
Granola bars 2/3.98 (12 total)
Concentrated apple Juice 2/2.59

Total 99.41

Margarine is not butter.
I will not use margarine.

That's fine.

This exercise is based on single mother of 3 using only SNAP benefits.

A good deal of it is nutritionally bereft though. :(

A good exercise might be to work out the same budget on real food. Like without the white air-bread and margarine and so forth. Just saying, the original list here goes a long way to explaining the obesity epidemic.

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

A good exercise might be to work out the same budget on real food. Like without the white air-bread and margarine and so forth. Just saying, the original list here goes a long way to explaining the obesity epidemic.

The obesity epidemic has more to do with laziness than food.

Get the kids out of the house away from the TV and to the park. Just sayin.

Stipulations from JoeB were...

Even though the mother qualifies for both WIC and/or free school lunches.

I was not allowed to utilize those benefits... Just SNAP. ;)

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

So... What would you like to see for lunches and dinners?

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

The obesity epidemic has more to do with laziness than food.

Get the kids out of the house away from the TV and to the park. Just sayin.

I used to think that too. They're both involved but we're being poisoned by our food system. And I don't mean in a sense of toxins.

When my own weight got too high I was able to drop 30 to 40 pounds by doing nothing other than cutting out wheat. Literally no other variable. That, the endless dumping of sugars and HFCS, saturated fats... these are major causes of mass obesity. Regardless of empirical impressions we really aren't lazier/less active than we used to be. Inertia and bad eating habits (especially timing) will do that of course, but it's much more a case of "garbage in, garbage out". Or maybe more appropriately "you are what you eat".

Sam's club has their skinless chicken breasts at $1.89 lb for a long time now.
Albertson's was initially called Skaggs.

You skagg. :slap:

Seriously though, I agree smart shopping takes time and effort but can bear fruitful results. :thup:

Yes. I agree. Always stock up on meat. Good days to go are late Saturday night/ early Sunday. That's usually when they mark it down. :)

I watch for those markdowns like a hawk. Like a hawk I tellya. Cheapest I can get chicken breasts on major markdown would be about $1.75 a pound. Normally more like four bucks.

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

My own choices, or nutritionally speaking? Because I could live on eggplant parmesean and curries :D

One thing I make from time to time is a Mexican-style chili, with ground turkey. Black and pinto beans, onion, peppers, a load of hot sauce, with or without rice, and I pig out and eat all I can handle and still lose weight, because it's all protein. And it's cheap to make.

I avoid sugars as much as possible, try not to touch wheat at all, and cut back on saturated fats like cheese. Cheese is one of my weaknesses, as is cereal. I gotta limit those.

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

My own choices, or nutritionally speaking? Because I could live on eggplant parmesean and curries :D

One thing I make from time to time is a Mexican-style chili, with ground turkey. Black and pinto beans, onion, peppers, a load of hot sauce, with or without rice, and I pig out and eat all I can handle and still lose weight, because it's all protein. And it's cheap to make.

I avoid sugars as much as possible, try not to touch wheat at all, and cut back on saturated fats like cheese. Cheese is one of my weaknesses, as is cereal. I gotta limit those.

I usually make lots of stew,soup and stir fry. We also grill a lot. And eat things like crock pot BBQ ribs, Huevos Rancheros and Enchiladas.

Love Egg Plant Parmesan. We make that everyone once in awhile too.

Margarine is not butter.

That's fine.

I avoid sugars and wheat as well, but am not against saturated fats. In moderation, they are quite healthy.

Now go get a healthy diet and lettuce snow the cost
Lol, Blewkin thinks bluebonnet is butter and Cheerios are part of a healthy diet.

And here you are, being a nasty bitch as usual. She is showing how a family can buy groceries on a modest amount of money. It might not be to your taste, but really, who care what you think?

Lol, Blewkin thinks bluebonnet is butter and Cheerios are part of a healthy diet.

And here you are, being a nasty bitch as usual. She is showing how a family can buy groceries on a modest amount of money. It might not be to your taste, but really, who care what you think?
You, obviously. Go ahead and raise a family on margarine, wonder bread and Cheerios. The sooner cons die of malnutrition the better. :thup:

We have food lion wally world super stores put all the others out of business in this area

You, obviously. Go ahead and raise a family on margarine, wonder bread and Cheerios. The sooner cons die of malnutrition the better. :thup:

Clearly, you didn't bother to read the wide variety of items she included. Hardly surprising that you just grab onto a minor bit and use it to trash somebody. You do, however, get 10 Points For Consistency.

Clearly, you didn't bother to read the wide variety of items she included. Hardly surprising that you just grab onto a minor bit and use it to trash somebody. You do, however, get 10 Points For Consistency.
Have some cheese wiz.

Forum List

Back