Butter Is Back

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
For someone of us Butter Never Left.

But for those of you who have been living on skinless chicken breasts and Earth Balance Spread, your culinary penance has all been for nought.

Butter is Back and Bettah Than Evah!

Julia Child, goddess of fat, is beaming somewhere. Butter is back, and when you’re looking for a few chunks of pork for a stew, you can resume searching for the best pieces — the ones with the most fat. Eventually, your friends will stop glaring at you as if you’re trying to kill them.

That the worm is turning became increasingly evident a couple of weeks ago, when a meta-analysis published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine found that there’s just no evidence to support the notion that saturated fat increases the risk of heart disease. (In fact, there’s some evidence that a lack of saturated fat may be damaging.) The researchers looked at 72 different studies and, as usual, said more work — including more clinical studies — is needed. For sure. But the days of skinless chicken breasts and tubs of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter may finally be drawing to a close.

The tip of this iceberg has been visible for years, and we’re finally beginning to see the base. Of course, no study is perfect and few are definitive. But the real villains in our diet — sugar and ultra-processed foods — are becoming increasingly apparent. You can go back to eating butter, if you haven’t already.

This doesn’t mean you abandon fruit for beef and cheese; you just abandon fake food for real food, and in that category of real food you can include good meat and dairy. I would argue, however, that you might not include most industrially produced animal products; stand by....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/opinion/bittman-butter-is-back.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2

Science is finally beginning to realize the toxicity of sugar.

I normally use Country Crock for everyday. It tastes good and it's cheaper and we don't use a lot anyway.

I did buy two lbs. of real butter at the store this week just to have for cooking special stuff. We have some events coming up and I love the taste of real butter. I'm making some french toast this weekend just because and you have to put real butter on that yummy food.

Highly processed foods containing refined carbohydrates and sugar are incredibly unhealthy.

Pollan describes them as "predigested" due to the way they spike blood glucose levels.

This is why Diabetes is at epidemic levels.

For someone of us Butter Never Left.

But for those of you who have been living on skinless chicken breasts and Earth Balance Spread, your culinary penance has all been for nought.

Butter is Back and Bettah Than Evah!

Julia Child, goddess of fat, is beaming somewhere. Butter is back, and when you’re looking for a few chunks of pork for a stew, you can resume searching for the best pieces — the ones with the most fat. Eventually, your friends will stop glaring at you as if you’re trying to kill them.

That the worm is turning became increasingly evident a couple of weeks ago, when a meta-analysis published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine found that there’s just no evidence to support the notion that saturated fat increases the risk of heart disease. (In fact, there’s some evidence that a lack of saturated fat may be damaging.) The researchers looked at 72 different studies and, as usual, said more work — including more clinical studies — is needed. For sure. But the days of skinless chicken breasts and tubs of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter may finally be drawing to a close.

The tip of this iceberg has been visible for years, and we’re finally beginning to see the base. Of course, no study is perfect and few are definitive. But the real villains in our diet — sugar and ultra-processed foods — are becoming increasingly apparent. You can go back to eating butter, if you haven’t already.

This doesn’t mean you abandon fruit for beef and cheese; you just abandon fake food for real food, and in that category of real food you can include good meat and dairy. I would argue, however, that you might not include most industrially produced animal products; stand by....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/opinion/bittman-butter-is-back.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2

They should have named that shit "I can't believe it's not digestible."

Butter never left as far as I'm concerned. My mom used to try to slip it in and we all refused to eat it.

I still have yet to figure out why butter is anathema in the South. Getting real butter in a restaurant in the South is like pulling teeth; not the case elsewhere. One reason we're so fat I'd wager.

When were we told saturated fats were bad for the heart? I think that was trans fats.

I don't eat much butter ...but I have to admit that when I do, I love it!!! there is nothing more delicious that fresh hot bread and butter. Welcome back butter YUM!

I don't eat much butter ...but I have to admit that when I do, I love it!!! there is nothing more delicious that fresh hot bread and butter. Welcome back butter YUM!

That's the key. Everything, like real butter or any real food, in moderation. Your body needs a certain amount in fats or you get all wrinkled and dried up looking.

I don't know if that's true but it sounds like a good excuse to eat butter. :D

That's the key. Everything, like real butter or any real food, in moderation. Your body needs a certain amount in fats or you get all wrinkled and dried up looking.

That bread's way worse than the butter anyway.

I never deserted butter! It is my first love! I eat it like other people eat cheese! Big thick pats that completely cover whatever it's on...screw the melting....I want it covered, absorbed into the food, dripping down the sides, and making a beautiful puddle of butter sauce in the bottom of the plate!

That is not enough butter. There should be 5x that much to make that bread edible.

That bread's way worse than the butter anyway.

That bread in the picture looks homemade and good tho. I don't think carbs are as evil as people say as long as you don't eat a lot.

When there is a call for butter..I use Smart Balance. Half olive oil, half real butter. Tastes good too.

Forum List

Back