Butter Is Back

That's the key. Everything, like real butter or any real food, in moderation. Your body needs a certain amount in fats or you get all wrinkled and dried up looking.

I don't know if that's true but it sounds like a good excuse to eat butter. :D

That bread's way worse than the butter anyway.

That bread in the picture looks homemade and good tho. I don't think carbs are as evil as people say as long as you don't eat a lot.

They are pretty bad from the amount most people eat in their diet. Thats why a lot of people are type 2 diabetics.

When there is a call for butter..I use Smart Balance. Half olive oil, half real butter. Tastes good too.

Both butter and olive oil are good. I mostly cook with olive oil but when I am making fried rice with garlic shrimp I will use an entire stick of butter because it enhances the flavors in my opinion.

That bread in the picture looks homemade and good tho. I don't think carbs are as evil as people say as long as you don't eat a lot.

They are pretty bad from the amount most people eat in their diet. Thats why a lot of people are type 2 diabetics.

Yup, most people eat way too many carbs. Typical burger and fries includes a bun. From a carb point of view it should be either the bun or the fries but not both.

That's the key. Everything, like real butter or any real food, in moderation. Your body needs a certain amount in fats or you get all wrinkled and dried up looking.

I don't know if that's true but it sounds like a good excuse to eat butter. :D

It's not because it's carbs so much but because it's wheat -- modern wheat. I've taken bread out of my diet -- no other changes, just bread -- and lost 40 pounds from that alone.

This went around in another thread a while back

>> Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose X-rays to induce mutations.
So what does all of this plant science have to do with what's ailing us? Intense crossbreeding created significant changes in the amino acids in wheat's gluten proteins, a potential cause for the 400 percent increase in celiac disease over the past 40 years. Wheat's gliadin protein has also undergone changes, with what appears to be a dire consequence. "Compared to its pre-1960s predecessor, modern gliadin is a potent appetite stimulant," explains Dr. Davis. "The new gliadin proteins may also account for the explosion in inflammatory diseases we're seeing."
<<

Hate to say it, I love bread and other flour products, but it's killing us.

It's not because it's carbs so much but because it's wheat -- modern wheat. I've taken bread out of my diet -- no other changes, just bread -- and lost 40 pounds from that alone.

>> Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose X-rays to induce mutations.
So what does all of this plant science have to do with what's ailing us? Intense crossbreeding created significant changes in the amino acids in wheat's gluten proteins, a potential cause for the 400 percent increase in celiac disease over the past 40 years. Wheat's gliadin protein has also undergone changes, with what appears to be a dire consequence. "Compared to its pre-1960s predecessor, modern gliadin is a potent appetite stimulant," explains Dr. Davis. "The new gliadin proteins may also account for the explosion in inflammatory diseases we're seeing."
<<

It ain't wheat it used to be! :D

Even diabetics are allowed some carbs. You have to change everything once you become diabetic but it doesn't call for cutting all carbs. My sis is type 1 and she is just never hungry anymore so when she eats, it has to include some carbs to keep her sugar up a little.

She weighs 100 and takes very good care of herself. It's something all diabetics need to do. Lower carb is ok for overweight type IIs but I wouldn't banish all carbs, they fuel your brain. Eat them in moderation but exercise too and drink a lot of water.

<<

I respect your opinion on this but I'm just not on the gluten free bandwagon yet. We had a discussion the other night at dinner with friends. All of them are talking about this now and several of us agreed that it makes some sense but a diet like that is so freaking boring it's hard to stay with it.

One tried it and lost some weight but she couldn't stick with it longer term. Unless you really have gluten allergies, it's tough to justify it.

<<

I respect your opinion on this but I'm just not on the gluten free bandwagon yet. We had a discussion the other night at dinner with friends. All of them are talking about this now and several of us agreed that it makes some sense but a diet like that is so freaking boring it's hard to stay with it.

One tried it and lost some weight but she couldn't stick with it longer term. Unless you really have gluten allergies, it's tough to justify it.

Absolutely! Celiacs don't have a choice and they get their carbs from potatoes, rice, etc. A gluten free diet is not a carb free diet by any means.

<<

Actually that wasn't about gluten. It was about wheat.
"Boring" really depends on how you handle it. When I dumped bread I picked up salads (and ate all I wanted too). Then I let it slip back and the weight came back. Now I've dumped it again and added fruit salads. Give up something old, pick up something new, but can't argue with the results.

I haven't had bread or pasta in years..in large doses. I can have ONE slice of bread once a week and it won't screw me up. If I eat more than that? Doomed for awhile. I miss big hunks of bread, but can live without it. Pasta I miss too, and there are gluten free breads and pastas but they are gross in my opinion. I live without those, too. I'd rather be able to function without feeling miserable than stuff myself and pay for it.

Had bloodwork done recently and my cholesterol is fine. I eat 1 to 2 eggs per day, cooked with smart balance, on top of hash browns that were also fried in smart balance. The only time I use a stick of butter is to smear it all over my gluten free Bisquick Pancakes.

I also lost 40 lbs going gluten free. :)

But..I sure miss that huge chunk of garlic bread the sister in law makes for hubby. :(

I don't eat much butter ...but I have to admit that when I do, I love it!!! there is nothing more delicious that fresh hot bread and butter. Welcome back butter YUM!

It does make all the difference. :D I go through 4 cubes a month. :thup:

I use real butter.....but I don't eat a tub at a time, either. Homemade bread with real butter can be eaten by itself....it is really good. I have a bread maker, don't make bread as often as I used to, but bread right out of the bread maker is better than the store bought bread.

<<

Actually that wasn't about gluten. It was about wheat.
"Boring" really depends on how you handle it. When I dumped bread I picked up salads (and ate all I wanted too). Then I let it slip back and the weight came back. Now I've dumped it again and added fruit salads. Give up something old, pick up something new, but can't argue with the results.

Someone put it to me like this about 4 years ago. "We dig our graves with our mouths."

I use real butter.....but I don't eat a tub at a time, either. Homemade bread with real butter can be eaten by itself....it is really good. I have a bread maker, don't make bread as often as I used to, but bread right out of the bread maker is better than the store bought bread.

omg. STOP you evil woman. I so much want huge chunk of homemade bread and a glob of melted butter on it. ACK!!

It sure is, especially when you set the timer to wake up to a bakery...
emoticon_10s.gif

I have a breadmaker too. And somewhere I'm sure I have flour and yeast. I'm resisting...

Forum List

Back