Cable sucks!

Yup, that's another that sucks about cable phones. When I lose power, I have no land line phone, cable or internet service either.

APC 1500VA Power Saving Back UPS with 10 Outlets

What is it?

Sorry, I'm not a techie! :smile:
Basically a backup battery. You plug your computer, modem, router, phone and anything else into it, and it into the wall. If the power goes out it instantly switches to battery power (like, in milliseconds), which can then power your gear for up to a few hours, depending on how heavy a load you put on it.

What's nice is that the better ones also regulate voltage when the power is on, feeding your electronics a steady, clean source of power. People don't realize how much the power in their house fluctuates, which is very bad for modern electronics.

Yup, that's another that sucks about cable phones. When I lose power, I have no land line phone, cable or internet service either.

What is it?

Basically a backup battery. You plug your computer, modem, router, phone and anything else into it, and it into the wall. If the power goes out it instantly switches to battery power (like, in milliseconds), which can then power your gear for up to a few hours, depending on how heavy a load you put on it.

What's nice is that the better ones also regulate voltage when the power is on, feeding your electronics a steady, clean source of power. People don't realize how much the power in their house fluctuates, which is very bad for modern electronics.

So basically, it is on the idea of a surge protector but it also charges your electronics? Great idea, but good grief, just what I need is MORE wires. :lol: I can't wait for the day when everything is wireless.

What is it?

So basically, it is on the idea of a surge protector but it also charges your electronics? Great idea, but good grief, just what I need is MORE wires. :lol: I can't wait for the day when everything is wireless.
No, just think of it as a power strip that is powered by a large battery.

What is it?

No, just think of it as a power strip that is powered by a large battery.

Well jeez. I'm not sure if I'm prepared for all of these changes. Lol. For me, the more simple, the better off I am, you know? Otherwise, I'm going to be calling Geek Squad or somebody out here to help me all the time, and that's not cheap.

Not necessarily. You can lose electric and still have internet if you have your modem/router on a UPS.

Conversely, you can lose internet and still have electricity.

We're talking about what normally happens not necessarily. What normally happens in an outtage is everyone loses power including the local cable provider. You could have a full blown generator. At the end of the day no signal means no internet.

Not necessarily. You can lose electric and still have internet if you have your modem/router on a UPS.

We're talking about what normally happens not necessarily. What normally happens in an outtage is everyone loses power including the local cable provider. You could have a full blown generator. At the end of the day no signal means no internet.
I don't believe that is correct. I believe they are self-sufficient, power-wise.

I don't believe that is correct. I believe they are self-sufficient, power-wise.

You think? I always thought they were powered by the local electric companies like anyone else.

Forum List

Back