California Begins Gun Confiscation

California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris.

And what court determined they had each lost that right?

California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris.

Third paragraph Speedracer:

convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mentally unstable.

Kids in Compton and East L.A. are shot every night by gang bangers. Too dangerous to go into those neighborhoods to confiscate guns. Let's attack the soft targets in the burbs.

says the guy who lives in "Western Virginia". Where is that anyway? Theres north, central, SW, and coastal

People who have been abused often go to mental hospitals for evaluation and sometimes for protection.

Good call, California. Disarm the victims.

good blanket statement WITHOUT knowing ANY of the particulars :thup:

That's not a blanket statement. It's a true statement about some cases. If being hospitalized is all it takes to make people lose their rights, then that's bogus.

convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mentally unstable.

Catch up. What court ruled that they were in one of those categories? No court=no due process.

People who have been abused often go to mental hospitals for evaluation and sometimes for protection.

That's not a blanket statement. It's a true statement about some cases. If being hospitalized is all it takes to make people lose their rights, then that's bogus.
curiously, you left out the qualifier "involuntarily" :eusa_whistle:

Catch up. What court ruled that they were in one of those categories? No court=no due process.

you seriously don't know that those three categories are state actions resulting from unlawful/aberrant behavior and are entered into the record? RLLY?

Last edited:
curiously, you left out the qualifier "involuntarily" :eusa_whistle:

I didn't see that word.

admGDKRm.jpg

you seriously don't know that those three categories are state actions resulting from unlawful/aberrant behavior and are entered into the record? RLLY?

No shit. And noone can legally be placed in one of those categories except through judicial action. So what courts made the rulings? No court=no due process. No due process=violation of Constitutional rights.

No shit. And noone can legally be placed in one of those categories except through judicial action. So what courts made the rulings? No court=no due process. No due process=violation of Constitutional rights.

A person shouldn't lose their rights over one cranky nurse's observations. And someone I know was told they had a diagnosis of clinical depression, but what the shrink put in their record was schizophrenia. Psych personnel can be strange folks and there should be a requirement for a second opinion before rights are taken away, or at least some way to appeal. IMHO.

But California is full of reasons for freedom-loving people not to want to live there.

Seems to me that they might sometime come across someone who thinks they have a second amendment right to keep their guns......I don't know if it is right to take anyones firearms...If they are criminals why are they not in Prison?

Some people only need to just talk too someone else and they get their head cleared. Now this will even stop those people from seeking help. As yoiu said earlier good call California Disarm the victims.
Do cops lose their rights to carry after they have had to see mental health after a in the line of duty shooting?

i6tRQitg4NJs.jpg

California Begins Gun Confiscation

Wearing bulletproof vests and carrying 40-caliber Glock pistols, nine California Justice Department agents assembled outside a ranch-style house in a suburb east of Los Angeles. They were looking for a gun owner who’d recently spent two days in a mental hospital.
Enlarge image California Raiders Seize Guns as Owners Lose Right to Bear Arms

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh who coordinates the operations around California, said: “We’re not contacting anybody who can legally own a gun. The only people we’re contacting are people who are prohibited from owning guns.” Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons and ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Philllips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Lynette and David Phillips

Lynette Phillips, 48, and her husband, David Phillips, 51, sit in their home in Upland, California on March 5, 2013. Lynette, a nurse, had to surrender three guns after spending two days in a mental hospital in December. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons with ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Phillips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

California Department of Justice police agents walk towards a house near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh with the California Department of Justice drives out to seize illegal firearms near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

They knocked on the door and asked to come in. About 45 minutes later, they came away peacefully with three firearms.

California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris. Almost 20,000 gun owners in the state are prohibited from possessing firearms, including convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mentally unstable.

“What do we do about the guns that are already in the hands of persons who, by law, are considered too dangerous to possess them?” Harris said in a letter to Vice President Joe Biden after a Connecticut school shooting in December left 26 dead. She recommended that Biden, heading a White House review of gun policy, consider California as a national model.

As many as 200,000 people nationwide may no longer be qualified to own firearms, according to Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis. Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.

“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program.
California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms - Bloomberg

Well........it's started.

Hope you've made whatever arrangements you can make.

First the excuses will seem rational but eventually they will start dreaming up more and more excuses to seize our guns. It's hard to imagine what excuse they'll come up with to take them but the goal is to make private gun ownership a thing of the past.

I honoestly think they did the right thing.. But I do see your point(the bolded)

really

what about due process

just throw it out the window

All it takes is a false accusation.

My wife wasn't able to buy a gun because one of her renters swore out a warrant on her for assault. She claimed my wife slammed the door on her foot injuring her. No proof was presented to the injury. They came and got my wife, handcuffed her, and hauled her to jail. This would disqualify her from ever buying a gun. It took 2 years but we were able to get the assault charges wiped from her record. If another renter ever does the same thing they can come and get my guns if I live in California.

Please speak on something you know....I live in California and I am a gun owner and I see no cops outside my door looking to confiscate my weapons

Post a sign on your property that you are armed and see how long it takes for the cops to show up.

Forum List

Back