California Democrat Wants to Impose State-Approved Fact Checking on Websites

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.
Title 14.5 (commencing with Section 3085) is added to Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code, to read:
TITLE 14.5. False Information Strategic Plans
(a) Any person who operates a social media Internet Web site with physical presence in California shall develop a strategic plan to verify news stories shared on its Internet Web site.
(b) The strategic plan shall include, but is not limited to, all of the following:
(1) A plan to mitigate the spread of false information through news stories.
(2) The utilization of fact-checkers to verify news stories.
(3) Providing outreach to social media users regarding news stories containing false information.
(4) Placing a warning on a news story containing false information.
(c) As used in this section, “social media” means an electronic service or account, or electronic content, including, but not limited to, videos, still photographs, blogs, video blogs, podcasts, instant and text messages, email, online services or accounts, or Internet Web site profiles or locations.

I don't know what regulatory or enforcement provisions or penalties would be included. I does seem like "the state" would have some kind of penal authority.

Yikes. We'll see.

Source: Bill Text - SB-1424 Internet: social media: false information: strategic plan.

Where?

This states that social media sites have to act with some civic responsibility... They have the same kind of laws for kiddy fuckers...

This is weak at best... All face book has to show is one guy saying he checking shit out...

This just says, stop working for the Russians...

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.
Title 14.5 (commencing with Section 3085) is added to Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code, to read:
(a) Any person who operates a social media Internet Web site with physical presence in California shall develop a strategic plan to verify news stories shared on its Internet Web site.
(b) The strategic plan shall include, but is not limited to, all of the following:
(3) Providing outreach to social media users regarding news stories containing false information.
(c) As used in this section, “social media” means an electronic service or account, or electronic content, including, but not limited to, videos, still photographs, blogs, video blogs, podcasts, instant and text messages, email, online services or accounts, or Internet Web site profiles or locations.

I don't know what regulatory or enforcement provisions or penalties would be included. I does seem like "the state" would have some kind of penal authority.

Yikes. We'll see.

Source: Bill Text - SB-1424 Internet: social media: false information: strategic plan.

Where?

This states that social media sites have to act with some civic responsibility... They have the same kind of laws for kiddy fuckers...

This is weak at best... All face book has to show is one guy saying he checking shit out...

No it doesn't say that.

Why write and pass a bill unless there will be authority to enforce it?

Gateway Pundit...

Lets just stop here.... It's bullshit unless we have a serious source....
The state bill is linked from the article. Like many websites, Gateway Pundit merely reports news stories reported by other sources.

This is a clear attempt by government to control the media...and we know leftists will shut down opposing views, which is exactly what they are doing right now on YouTube, Facebook, and other media outlets.

Read the fucking bill, idiot.... Stop being a force fed chicken and actually do some fucking work....
silly. I did.

Now compare what the OP said to the actual bill....

Where is the state sanctioned? You Tube already do this by the way and a lot more than what this bill says...

Far-left California state senator Richard Pan wants to force all websites to submit to state-approved fact checking

Pan recently introduced legislation to crack down on free speech on the internet.

Pan’s legislation would force online publishers to utilize state-sanctioned fact checkers to approve content before it is posted online.

It targets social media based in California. But as you read the bill, you see it appears to define social media as any Internet blog, website, or communication.
(It Begins: California Senator Introduces Bill to Kill Free Speech, Requires State-Sanctioned Fact Checkers to Approve Online Content)​

Even if the bill "only" targeted social media, it would still be thoroughly fascist and anti-American. Th
butbutbutt, the dems are for free speech!!

they would never pass laws that have people get government approval to speeches or books or news

no never

pfft

fucking commies

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.

Yikes. We'll see.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

This is done all the time to encourage corporate responsibility... It is especially prevalent in IT where data is involved...

I actually know the law around data but I can tell you that a vast majority of IT professionals don't... This leads to cringe worthy moments...

This allows someone to stand up in a room in Facebook and say whats our policy if we are the avenue to undermine democracy in the USA.

(C) The department charged with administering Title 14.5 3085 will be known as the Ministry of Truth.

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.

Yikes. We'll see.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

This is done all the time to encourage corporate responsibility... It is especially prevalent in IT where data is involved...

I actually know the law around data but I can tell you that a vast majority of IT professionals don't... This leads to cringe worthy moments...

This allows someone to stand up in a room in Facebook and say whats our policy if we are the avenue to undermine democracy in the USA.
Okay, encouragement is one thing. I'm all for corporate responsibility.

But why write and pass a bill if the state is not going to enforce it?

Far-left California state senator Richard Pan wants to force all websites to submit to state-approved fact checking

Pan recently introduced legislation to crack down on free speech on the internet.

Pan’s legislation would force online publishers to utilize state-sanctioned fact checkers to approve content before it is posted online.

It targets social media based in California. But as you read the bill, you see it appears to define social media as any Internet blog, website, or communication.
(It Begins: California Senator Introduces Bill to Kill Free Speech, Requires State-Sanctioned Fact Checkers to Approve Online Content)​

Even if the bill "only" targeted social media, it would still be thoroughly fascist and anti-American. Th

they would never pass laws that have people get government approval to speeches or books or news

no never

pfft

fucking commies

This is about the orchestrated and deliberate spreading of false information with the agenda to undermine the US...

Wake the fuck up... 14 intelligence agencies say your in a cyberwar with Russia and you want to roll over stick your tummy in the air and say tickle me....

This law would not fix everything but it is a line of defence...

Why do the nay sayers hate America... Why do you want the enemy to win?

no never

pfft

fucking commies

This is about the orchestrated and deliberate spreading of false information with the agenda to undermine the US...

Wake the fuck up... 14 intelligence agencies say your in a cyberwar with Russia and you want to roll over stick your tummy in the air and say tickle me....

This law would not fix everything but it is a line of defence...

Why do the nay sayers hate America... Why do you want the enemy to win?
why do you want to give up your Constitutional rights?

how can having fewer rights be winning?

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.

Yikes. We'll see.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

Cause there is a cyberwar on... Mac, you seem reasonable, why help the enemy...

Truth is Russia got away with it in 2016... And there seems next to nothing in place for 2018 and the have got better...

The other thing is North Korea, Iran, etc.... has seen the US weakness and know there is no blowback for exploiting America this way...

There has been a failure to instruct the Generals, they say they are trying to defend but the laws aren't up to date and they aren't allowed to play offence...

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.

Yikes. We'll see.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

Truth is Russia got away with it in 2016... And there seems next to nothing in place for 2018 and the have got better...

The other thing is North Korea, Iran, etc.... has seen the US weakness and know there is no blowback for exploiting America this way...

There has been a failure to instruct the Generals, they say they are trying to defend but the laws aren't up to date and they aren't allowed to play offence...
I'm not sure what you mean by "the enemy" - Other countries or the conservatives. Since I'm not ideological (which may be the cause of my being reasonable), I'm never quite sure on that.

I'm a freedom of expression purist, and I'm concerned any time there is a move to control it.

I'm not at all convinced that this is about national security, or just about national security. These are hyper-political times.

Last edited:

I agree.

But only if Fox News employees are the ones who are doing the fact-checking.

This is something I can agree with you 100% on. Let's hope this bill never sees the light of day.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the enemy" - Other countries or the conservatives. Since I'm not ideological (which may be the cause of my being reasonable), I'm never quite sure on that.

I'm a freedom of expression purist, and I'm concerned any time there is a move to control it.

I'm not at all convinced that this is about national security, or just about national security. These are hyper-political times.

Mac,

I am talking about other countries or factions.... Not the conservatives who I believe the real ones are actually concerned about external interference in the election from other countries...

But the Russians just showed a blue print... Corporations could be doing this on individuals as well... No every Corporation is that ethical and imagine if a corporation could pollute a town and then construct online campaigns to vilify them so they can save money. This is trying to make that some what illegal, today it is legal.

I under stand your love for freedom of expression but unfortunately that has been heavily abused to the point that people are struggling to understand the truth (look at some of the polls) due information overload....

Something has to be done... I would welcome other suggestions as I don't like curbing freedom of expression either... But tidal wave of false information has got to the point where a large percentage of people consider info wars a credible source and CNN as the fake news... Actually one guy here yesterday said RT (Russian Television) was far better source than network tv or newspapers, seriously...

Asking for truth should be a corner stone of democracy...

No it doesn't say that.

Mac,

I am talking about other countries or factions.... Not the conservatives who I believe the real ones are actually concerned about external interference in the election from other countries...

But the Russians just showed a blue print... Corporations could be doing this on individuals as well... No every Corporation is that ethical and imagine if a corporation could pollute a town and then construct online campaigns to vilify them so they can save money. This is trying to make that some what illegal, today it is legal.

I under stand your love for freedom of expression but unfortunately that has been heavily abused to the point that people are struggling to understand the truth (look at some of the polls) due information overload....

Something has to be done... I would welcome other suggestions as I don't like curbing freedom of expression either... But tidal wave of false information has got to the point where a large percentage of people consider info wars a credible source and CNN as the fake news... Actually one guy here yesterday said RT (Russian Television) was far better source than network tv or newspapers, seriously...

Asking for truth should be a corner stone of democracy...
To believe as you do that government is benevolent, is laughable. You really need to check yourself.

Conservatism would die if forced to face truth of any kind.

Requiring websites to post only facts instead of lies and propaganda would cause that conservative "death".

china approves.

From SB-1424:

SECTION 1.

Yikes. We'll see.

Where?

No it doesn't say that.

like 8 years of exploiting obama? hell he sent them billions in the night on a pallet or 2. that type of exploiting is still going on?

quit trying to paint things you don't like as something no one should. your just not that important in all this. none of us are. but all this bullshit of my side right, your side wrong, watch me make up shit to support it? gee, where did fake news come from again? us, then google, and now here to today. if we didn't need fake news so bad to support our emotional insecurities, we'd not have fake news now would we?

Gateway Pundit...

Again, the narrative as usual is bullshit... Where in the bill does it state 'State sanctioned fact checkers'....

Lets help, it doesn't but this OP figures that the army of Alt Right will fill this thread up with there usual back me up bullshit...

Truth is the casualty

What happens if the fact checker doesn't work the way the state wants it to work? Anyone can set up a web page and call themselves a fact checker. As usual, we have to look at the ultimate intent. Obviously, the state is going to see things published that it considers false and will ultimately have to approve the fact checkers involved. Sure, the bill doesn't say, "state approved fact checkers". It doesn't have to.

This is just a first step. They need to first get a law on the books that gives the state authority over published web content.

Forum List

Back