California Outlaws Plastic Bags

its funny how they dont think plastic garbage bags are a problem....

Or the plastic packaging for all their prepared foods...

1707770818731.png

Pollution for profit...

What is wrong with banning plastic bags?

Every year, around 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. 500,000,000,000. Five hundred followed by
nine zeros. That's a lot of bags. So many that over one million bags are being used every minute and they're
damaging our environment.

Three hundred million end up in the Atlantic Ocean alone.

We should change our behavior for the sake of our environment. I tend to use Reusable bags. Many times I'll tell the cashier not to give me a plastic bag. Nearly all paper bags are made from recycled paper and not virgin paper, but still, reusable bags are better.

On this issue, California is right. Ban Plastic Bags or charge for each one that a person uses like they have in Europe. Hell, there should be a nationwide ban on plastic bags.

1707772566768.jpeg

1707772584582.jpeg

1707772625888.jpeg

1707772647278.jpeg

Last edited:

Every year, around 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. 500,000,000,000. Five hundred followed by
nine zeros. That's a lot of bags. So many that over one million bags are being used every minute and they're
damaging our environment.

Three hundred million end up in the Atlantic Ocean alone.

We should change our behavior for the sake of our environment. I tend to use Reusable bags. Many times I'll tell the cashier not to give me a plastic bag. Nearly all paper bags are made from recycled paper and not virgin paper, but still, reusable bags are better.

On this issue, California is right. Ban Plastic Bags or charge for each one that a person uses like they have in Europe. Hell, there should be a nationwide ban on plastic bags.

View attachment 901232

View attachment 901233

View attachment 901235

View attachment 901236
What a shocker, California does charge for each plastic bag. You may want to consider clicking on the link.

Here in Oregon, you have to bring your own bags when you go to the store.
It was supposed to work like that here in Texas too. It became somewhat of a popular fad to show up with cloth shopping bags from home. Now we get our groceries delivered. They come in plastic bags.

Having to bring things with you to the store soon became too much work for your average Texan, and like most fads, died out.

only to find the laws made the problems worse. Way to go California, a state which always passes laws to stop wealth inequality, homelessness, and social injustice, only to find that everything they do makes the problems even worse. And, they want to do for the country everything they have done for California. No thanks.

We did this in Wales years ago. There are no problems.

I don't think anyone thinks there is anything wrong with banning plastic bags. At least I don't. I think what we're doing is mocking knee jerk reactions by governments to something that instigates quick, urgent changes because of some perceived pending calamity, only to have it come back and bite us in the ass later.

LOL....I still use that term....Young people look at me like I'm from another planet when I ask for a sack. :laughing0301:

We use the term here in the Midwest.

When I moved here, my eyes about fell out of my head to see how many paper and plastic bags they still use here. Since I shop at organic stores, they're full of leftists who almost cry from gratitude when I bring my reusable bags.

only to find the laws made the problems worse. Way to go California, a state which always passes laws to stop wealth inequality, homelessness, and social injustice, only to find that everything they do makes the problems even worse. And, they want to do for the country everything they have done for California. No thanks.

Put a match to a plastic grocery bag and you wind up with about a quarter teaspoon of powdery residue. Make the plastic biodegradable and there is no problem with it going into a landfill where it takes up very little space. Burn a standard paper grocery bag and you have a couple of tablespoons full of ashes. The paper takes about as long to degrade in a landfill as biodegradable plastic does. Grocers hate the paper bags because after a shift of handling them, the checkers and/or sackers are suffering from painful paper cuts plus they require a lot more room for storage. And for customers like me they have to use a lot of them because we ask they be packed light out of consideration for arthritic hands and bad backs. A small plastic bag can only be filled with so much.

The plastic bags get repurposed a lot at our house because we use them to line small waste baskets, to transport food care packages that frequently leave our house, protect various items in storage, etc. And because they are recyclable, we return the excess to the grocery store who takes care of that.

We have far less use for the used paper bags and most go into the recycle bin and wind up taking up a lot of space in the landfill.

Government policy trying to engineer this stuff rarely thinks through all the pros and cons of anything and doesn't seem to care about any long range negative consequences.

As for the reusable bags, they forbade them for two years when COVID was raging and people haven't been reconditioned to use them again.

How can that be? We saved the trees by not using paper bags anymore.
The ones in our grocery store are made from recycled paper. Paper is the substance most likely to be recycled. Although most plastic containers have a recycling number on them, that doesn't mean they are recycled. It depends on where you live. Where I am, it's only numbers 1 & 2.

I lived there when they banned paper bags in favor of plastic... because save the trees...
Ditto, these are the same moron Democrats who banned paper bags to save trees and forced us onto plastic bags. The blithering idiot Dems created an environmental DISASTER of epic proportions with their half baked plastic bag save a tree nonsense. Here we are decades later the morons are trying to correct their mistake.

Never allow Dems to make decisions or be in charge of anything.

Forum List

Back