Calling and Election Made Sure

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
What do you think it means to have your calling and election made sure?

2 Peter 1:10-11
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
In Biblical times 'elect' meant chosen for a special purpose. Peter is saying that God called and chose us to turn from the evil in the world and practice this faith (that we are called and chosen by God) which means to work on strengthening and bringing virtues to everything we do in life.

In Biblical times 'elect' meant chosen for a special purpose. Peter is saying that God called and chose us to turn from the evil in the world and practice this faith (that we are called and chosen by God) which means to work on strengthening and bringing virtues to everything we do in life.
I agree with you. I would add that all mankind were called and chosen by God before the foundation of the earth to not only receive the gospel while on the earth but to also share that gospel with others.

Foreordination

God’s premortal ordination of His valiant spirit children to fulfill certain missions during their mortal lives.
  • God set the bounds of the people, Deut. 32:8.
  • Before I formed thee in the belly I ordained thee a prophet, Jer. 1:5.
  • God determined the times before appointed, Acts 17:26.
  • For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate, Rom. 8:28–30.
  • He has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, Eph. 1:3–4.
  • Jesus Christ was foreordained to be the Redeemer, 1 Pet. 1:19–20 (Rev. 13:8).
  • They were called and prepared from the foundation of the world, Alma 13:1–9.
  • I observed the noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning, D&C 138:55–56.
  • My Beloved Son was chosen from the beginning, Moses 4:2.
  • Abraham was chosen before he was born, Abr. 3:23.

I think what you have explained is what a calling and election is. What do you think it means to have that calling and election made sure?

I think what you have explained is what a calling and election is. What do you think it means to have that calling and election made sure?
God called and chose us for a purpose. It is up to us whether we respond to or ignore that calling. Another bit of etymology for the word 'sure': In Biblical times it meant 'steadfast'. There are highs and lows in life, in our faith, in practicing virtues. Through it all, we are called to remain steadfast to that which we were called and elected/chosen to do, which is to hold fast to our faith and to practice and bring virtues into our daily lives.

I would add that all mankind were called and chosen by God before the foundation of the earth to not only receive the gospel while on the earth but to also share that gospel with others.
I agree. :)

This is not going to be a perfect analogy, but it is like this. Being born again is rather like being born in the first place. No baby has any hand in their being conceived and born, just as no Believer has a hand in their spiritual rebirth. It is an act of God. God elects and God calls.

However once "born" and at maturity, a human can caretake their own life to assure maturity. Don't take unnecessary risks, exercise, eat well.

Similarly, once we are "born again" by grace through faith, Believers can tend to their spiritual lives to grow into maturity too. Pray, be faithful to read Scriptures, worship together with the church, feed the hungry, etc.

I think that just as a sinner can commit the unpardonable sin and fall from grace and be sealed unto eternal damnation before the day of judgement, so too can a righteous person achieve a certain level of righteousness in their life to be sealed up unto eternal life before he dies and is judged. In other words, there are those who put enough time and effort that their judgement is moved up and they have their calling and election made sure unto eternal life. This also occurs with the wicked who become so wicked and commit the unpardonable sin that their damnation is sealed.

In 2 Peter 1 we also have this verse which is related to having one's calling and election made sure:

2 Peter1: 19
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Joseph Smith taught the following regarding this subject:

Doctrine and Covenants 131:5
5 (May 17th, 1843.) The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.

We of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the sealing of the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation 7 is a sealing up unto eternal life. Once they are sealed, they go forth to bring others unto the Church of the Firstborn that they may receive the same blessing. Those of the Church of the Firstborn are those who are sealed up unto eternal life by having the more sure word of prophecy of having their calling and election made sure. When a person reaches the level of righteousness to be sealed unto eternal life, he/she can receive the blessing of having personal communion with the Lord Jesus Christ and the Father as a second comforter in their lives.

John 14:18, 21, 23
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

We believe that those who love God and keep his commandments can grow in spiritual truth and strength to the point where God has tested them and found that they will do whatever God would have them do even if it means laying down their life for him. When one has reached a similar point in his/her life and has grown in truth and knowledge that he/she can receive the Second Comforter in his/her life where he/she can have direct revelation from the Father and Son in his/her life and have Jesus appear unto them. This is a blessing of those who have their calling and election made sure and have the more sure word of prophecy. We believe this is what Peter was speaking of in the first chapter of his second epistle.

Last edited:
Genesis 5:23-24
22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:

23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:

24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Genesis 6:9​

9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

To me these are a couple of men who had their calling and election made sure.

There is an ordinance associated with those who make their calling and election sure. It is the ordinance of washing of the feet. Once the apostles of Jesus (excepting Judas Iscariot) reached the point of obtaining the more sure word of prophesy, Jesus performed the ordinance of washing of the feet upon them.

John 13:4-17
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back