Can Psychotherapy Help You Control Pain?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
direct

Okay, here’s a piece that states pain is as much in your head as it’s real in your body. Another faux cure hype? I have to wonder but it might help people wean themselves off of opiods.

Pain is a danger signal that also can warn of us tissue damage, but sometimes these danger signals can be activated in the absence of real danger,” says Alan Gordon, the director of the Los Angeles Pain Psychology Center, where Golson was treated. “It’s almost like a kinesthetic hallucination. It’s hard to not buy into these messages that your brain and your body are giving you.”

The goal of the therapy is to get the patients to reinterpret the sensations they feel as non-dangerous.

Yoga to cure your pain?

I don’t want to seem flippant, but there’s so much of this stuff out there that one has to be extremely careful to keep from being roped into a scam.

More about this @ 100 million Americans have chronic pain. Very few use one of the best tools to treat it. - Vox - Pocket

I don’t know about psychotherapy, but I do seem to have a high level of tolerance for pain.

When I cut my arm at work, the doctor commented on how calm I was while he stitched me up. 8 on the outside and 9 inside.

After 3 days off work, I convinced our occupational health nurse to clear me for light duty.

Despite everything I was told by the doctor and nurses about the pain I’ll later have, I didn’t have the pain prescription filled. Tylenol was good enough.

Last edited:
direct

Okay, here’s a piece that states pain is as much in your head as it’s real in your body. Another faux cure hype? I have to wonder but it might help people wean themselves off of opiods.

Pain is a danger signal that also can warn of us tissue damage, but sometimes these danger signals can be activated in the absence of real danger,” says Alan Gordon, the director of the Los Angeles Pain Psychology Center, where Golson was treated. “It’s almost like a kinesthetic hallucination. It’s hard to not buy into these messages that your brain and your body are giving you.”

The goal of the therapy is to get the patients to reinterpret the sensations they feel as non-dangerous.

Yoga to cure your pain?

I don’t want to seem flippant, but there’s so much of this stuff out there that one has to be extremely careful to keep from being roped into a scam.

More about this @ 100 million Americans have chronic pain. Very few use one of the best tools to treat it. - Vox - Pocket

I believe this is in part how Tylenol works---in your brain, actually. So it makes sense.

direct

Yoga to cure your pain?

I think the goal is to make sure that everybody gets their cut. There are people that have to go through physical therapy before being able to get a surgery and especially if they are on medicaid/medicare. Everyone is aware this most often won't work but have to do it anyway. Because a doctor isn't good enough and cookie cutter approaches are the bestest.

Forum List

Back