Can Schumer force a vote?

Please post a link to Reid saying he wouldn't bring any bill President Obama would not sign to the floor.

I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Why would you need a link showing him making a statement like that?

Didn't his actions prove it?

Or were you in a coma during his tenure?
Ok, so you can't produce a link to back up your assertion. Can you produce a link to him doing what you say he did?

2010, Senate sitting on 290 bills passed in the House
Senate sitting on 290 bills already passed by House; tension mounts

and only got worse.
Mostly that was garbage sent up.for the purpose of making the Democrats look bad.

Yes...

REID decided it was garbage, and tabled it.

and, by doing so, made the Democrats look bad.

To be fair, McConnell does the same things to Democrats. unfortunately that is politics.

Ok, so you can't produce a link to back up your assertion. Can you produce a link to him doing what you say he did?

and only got worse.
Mostly that was garbage sent up.for the purpose of making the Democrats look bad.

Yes...

To be fair, McConnell does the same things to Democrats. unfortunately that is politics.

unfortunately that is politics.

PARTISAN Politics...

and NOT what we need for the betterment of our country

and only got worse.

Yes...

unfortunately that is politics.

PARTISAN Politics...

and NOT what we need for the betterment of our country

But that's all we have , and both parties play it. I agree it sucks.

No, both sides don't block votes that would pass into law by overriding the president's veto. Reid never did that. Only the Republicans take partisan hackery to that level. Pretending otherwise is an exercise in GOP propaganda.

Was wondering if this is true, how does a Senate minority force a vote on anything?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said on Saturday he will force a vote soon on a resolution to disapprove the Trump administration's decision to relax sanctions on three Russian companies connected to oligarch Oleg Deripaska.
He can't, but the Democrats are right on this issue. Those sanctions need to be reinstated and enforced. That was a dick move by Trump.

No, both sides don't block votes that would pass into law by overriding the president's veto. Reid never did that. Only the Republicans take partisan hackery to that level. Pretending otherwise is an exercise in GOP propaganda.
Reid IGNORED 200 BILLS you Lying piece of garbage.

What the hell are you talking about? It seems you sure don't know. BOTH sides would vote on a bill they wanted if they thought they had enough votes to over ride a President's veto. In THIS case though MM has made it clear A) He doesn't want the proposed bill B) Trump woudn't sign it anyway and C) There woudn't be enough votes to override a veto.

There is in fact a clear example of Mitch McConnel passing a bill that many thought Trump would veto and Congress would have the votes to over ride his veto. Trump signed it, but MM didn't know for sure that he would, he simply wanted it passed and knew he had the votes to override a veto if it happened. We're talking about the Russian Sanctions bill of course.

You RARELY see a bill passed even by the opposite party if it's known the President will veto it anyway , let alone a same party , because duh Congress doesn't want to be embarrassed by passing a law that doesn't get signed by the President, it's only when they KNOW they have a veto proof majority, OR they simply want to embarrass the President, that they do so.

And yes, BOTH parties play the game this way, and it's not even really that big a deal, common sense tells a normal person "Congress shouldn't waste time passing bills they know won't become law" but you liberals are so ate up with Trump Derangement Syndrome, and so dishonest that you just can't help yourselves.

What the hell are you talking about? It seems you sure don't know. BOTH sides would vote on a bill they wanted if they thought they had enough votes to over ride a President's veto. In THIS case though MM has made it clear A) He doesn't want the proposed bill B) Trump woudn't sign it anyway and C) There woudn't be enough votes to override a veto.

But there are enough votes in the senate to override a veto. The point is that MM is lying about it because he's a Trump hack.

Was wondering if this is true, how does a Senate minority force a vote on anything?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said on Saturday he will force a vote soon on a resolution to disapprove the Trump administration's decision to relax sanctions on three Russian companies connected to oligarch Oleg Deripaska.
He'll most likely cry wi ha shaky voice in hopes people will feel sorry and vote.

But there are enough votes in the senate to override a veto. The point is that MM is lying about it because he's a Trump hack.

No there isn't. There MIGHT be in the House.

I doubt you even know how many votes are required to override a veto.

The same as it meant when the Dems held Congress, and later when Reid was lead in the Senate.

His job was to push Obamas agenda, just as it is McConnells to push Trumps.

Because, for the last XX years, Congress has NOT worked for the country, they work for the PARTY.

I would respect his opinion if I didn't absolutely KNOW that he had no problem with Reid pushing Obama's agenda and not allowing a vote on any bills Obama wouldn't sign.

Myself, I have common sense so I can see why the Senate Majority leader or Speaker of the House would not push for legislation that they knew they probably couldn't pass anyway, and if they did the POTUS would veto it and they most certainly wouldn't have the votes to over ride a veto.
Please post a link to Reid saying he wouldn't bring any bill President Obama would not sign to the floor.

and only got worse.
The Republicans at the time were filibustering EVERY bill in the Senate. Dems needed 60 votes to reach cloture

Why should Republican bills have been brought to a vote?

He may not be able to force a vote, but he can keep asking for one, getting those requests written into the Congressional Record.

Right now, the Speaker and Senate Majority leaders have too much power

A bill can have bipartisan support and the votes to pass but the majority party leaders can refuse to consider them

It negates the power of the moderates in each party to compromise

I would respect his opinion if I didn't absolutely KNOW that he had no problem with Reid pushing Obama's agenda and not allowing a vote on any bills Obama wouldn't sign.

Myself, I have common sense so I can see why the Senate Majority leader or Speaker of the House would not push for legislation that they knew they probably couldn't pass anyway, and if they did the POTUS would veto it and they most certainly wouldn't have the votes to over ride a veto.

and only got worse.
The Republicans at the time were filibustering EVERY bill in the Senate. Dems needed 60 votes to reach cloture

Exactly, both parties play these silly partisan games. Suddenly getting mad that one party does it is stupid, and pretending that ONLY one party does it is even dumber.

and only got worse.

Exactly, both parties play these silly partisan games. Suddenly getting mad that one party does it is stupid, and pretending that ONLY one party does it is even dumber.
Something needs to change

Right now, Congress is gridlocked. A mechanism needs to be in place where bipartisan support can bypass Congressional leadership and bring bills to a vote

and only got worse.

Something needs to change

Right now, Congress is gridlocked. A mechanism needs to be in place where bipartisan support can bypass Congressional leadership and bring bills to a vote

There are MANY things that need to be changed to fix Congress. None of them are likely to happen. Both parties LOVE the broken system, if they are the majority.

I doubt you know, as you think it's not possible. Only one-third of the senate Republicans need to flip. That's pretty much a given, given how scared they are about their re-elections.

As far as the thread topic goes, did any of you Trump cultists consider checking the facts? Of course you didn't. Why would you, when TheParty tells you what to think?

Schumer Will Force Vote Over Decision To Relax Sanctions On Oligarch-Linked Firms
---
Under The 2017 Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), Leader Schumer has the right to bring a privileged Resolution of Disapproval of the Sanctions Relief to the floor for a vote in the Senate. After Leader Schumer calls up the privileged resolution, a simple majority of the Senate is needed to proceed to the resolution and then 60 votes is required to invoke cloture. Final passage of the resolution to disapprove requires only a simple majority. Under the CAATSA, the resolution must be passed by both chambers of Congress by January 17, 2019.
---

This is why you're conservatives, because fact-checking is such a foreign concept to you.

I doubt you know, as you think it's not possible. Only one-third of the senate Republicans need to flip. That's pretty much a given, given how scared they are about their re-elections.

As far as the thread topic goes, did any of you Trump cultists consider checking the facts? Of course you didn't. Why would you, when TheParty tells you what to think?

Schumer Will Force Vote Over Decision To Relax Sanctions On Oligarch-Linked Firms
---
Under The 2017 Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), Leader Schumer has the right to bring a privileged Resolution of Disapproval of the Sanctions Relief to the floor for a vote in the Senate. After Leader Schumer calls up the privileged resolution, a simple majority of the Senate is needed to proceed to the resolution and then 60 votes is required to invoke cloture. Final passage of the resolution to disapprove requires only a simple majority. Under the CAATSA, the resolution must be passed by both chambers of Congress by January 17, 2019.
---

This is why you're conservatives, because fact-checking is such a foreign concept to you.

First of all, you're clearly stupid

Second of all, we were talking about just bills in general, not a specific instance, and it requires 2/3 of both houses to over ride a veto. That means with a same party majority a vote to over ride a veto is unlikely, so why bother having a vote.

Now as to the specific resolution you just mentioned. Today is the 18th, so why are you now suggesting that Schumer will force a vote on a resolution that would have to have been voted on by yesterday?

And I'm not a conservative. I'm simply not a Democrat, because I'm not mentally ill.

First of all, you're clearly stupid

Are you drunk? I just ask because of the bizarre rambling nature of your posts.

Second of all, we were talking about just bills in general, not a specific instance, and it requires 2/3 of both houses to over ride a veto.

Which is what I addressed, and what you avoided.

Now as to the specific resolution you just mentioned. Today is the 18th, so why are you now suggesting that Schumer will force a vote on a resolution that would have to have been voted on by yesterday?

The article referenced in the OP was dated Jan 13.

Those possessing at least average intelligence would have checked such a thing before raving about the impossibility of dates.

Forum List

Back