Capitol Police officer who shot Ashli Babbit had history of negligence with his firearm

Capitol Police weapon left unattended in Capitol bathroom, again​

Latest incident recalls rash of similar ones in 2015​

A U.S. Capitol Police lieutenant left his service weapon in a bathroom Monday night and the unattended gun was discovered later by another Capitol Police officer.

After the House adjourned on Monday, Lt. Mike Byrd left his Glock 22 in a bathroom in the Capitol Visitor Center complex, according to sources familiar with the incident. Byrd is the commander of the House Chambers section of the Capitol Police and was on the job Tuesday and Wednesday.

Byrd addressed the incident at Tuesday morning’s officer roll call and, according to sources, told fellow officers that he “will be treated differently” because of his rank as a lieutenant. It was not clear what exactly the lieutenant meant by the comment.

Unlike a gun with a traditional safety, a Glock will fire if the trigger is pulled — making the discovery of an unattended gun in the Capitol complex particularly concerning.

Capitol Police said a service weapon was discovered “during a routine security sweep” Monday. Once the weapon was secured, the department began an immediate investigation into the matter, according to Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki.

Why was his gun even unholstered in the bathroom? Was he looking in the mirror pointing it and saying "Go ahead, Trumper. Make my day."

Democrats pick strange people for their heroes.
But yet the filthy ass President Potatohead gave the piece of shit a medal for killing an unarmed veteran woman.

We should have burned DC down after the government thugs killed Ashli Babbitt.

She was worth ten thousand George Floyds.

From what I have seen the police demonstrated amazing discipline and self control. Somebody hits me with a flag pole or fire extinguisher and don't knock me out, or tries to over run my position by numbers of insurgents get shot. Boom.
Intelligent people realize she did none of those things.

We need more good men like him

thank you
Oh, we have them. At least the Capitol Police have them.

The story continues:

This is not the first time that a case like this has come to light and under investigation in recent years. In 2015, there were a rash of Capitol Police service weapons left behind in inappropriate places.

• A member of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s security detail left his Glock and magazine stuffed in the toilet seat cover holder of a Capitol Visitor Center bathroom stall in January 2015, where a CVC worker found the gun.
  • A member of Speaker John A. Boehner’s dignitary protection team left a loaded firearm in the bathroom of Ohio Republican’s office suite in March 2015, where a 7- or 8-year-old child visiting the Capitol with his parents found the weapon.
  • A third Glock was found in April 2015 by custodial staff cleaning the Capitol Police headquarters building on D Street Northeast.
The pattern led to heightened concern about the department charged with protecting one of the world’s most important and frequently visited complexes, with law enforcement officials pledging that the Capitol Police’s Office of Professional Responsibility and its independent inspector general would review the incidents and report findings and recommendations to the Capitol Police Board.

Are there any police officers here co can explain why these guys are taking out their guns in the bathroom? I don't get that at all. Hang your whole best on the hook on the stall door, where you can't miss it as you walk out.

When I was in the military as a private through sergeant, I took keeping track of my weapon very seriously. When I was an officer, I knew my career would be over if I lost track of it, so I tied it to my TA50 with 550 cord as a "dummy rope."

At the same time, Capitol Police launched its own probe of who leaked a photo of one of the guns left in the toilet seat cover dispenser in the CVC bathroom.

1673146471320.png

In the wake of those inquiries, at least one sergeant in the Capitol division, allegedly in retribution for a leak related to Roll Call’s reporting that year of the three incidents, was suspended.

Oh so no punishment for an officer that leaves his gun where children can find and easily fire them, but a suspension for an officer for leaking to the press that their officers do that?

Or what if it really was ANTIFA. There would be hundreds of dead black guys disguised as old white Trumpster guys dead everywhere. What if...
Yep, the Crazy Left Wing Democrats have Zero credibility.
If Babbitt had been black and Byrd had been white there would be nationwide riots.
They would be burning people homes, cars and businesses.
They would be blocking traffic and dragging people out of their cars and beating them.
Liberals are uncivilized.

From what I have seen the police demonstrated amazing discipline and self control. Somebody hits me with a flag pole or fire extinguisher and don't knock me out, or tries to over run my position by numbers of insurgents get shot. Boom.
Babbit did nothing like that.

She was where she was not supposed to be doing things she was not supposed to do. By numbers the mob of insurrectionist were a threat to the police and congresspeople left in the building. But I get it, you think it was a normal tourist day.
You support her murder.

Her only mistake from your uneducated point of view is that she wasn't a black career criminal.

Oh, we have them. At least the Capitol Police have them.

The story continues:

This is not the first time that a case like this has come to light and under investigation in recent years. In 2015, there were a rash of Capitol Police service weapons left behind in inappropriate places.

• A member of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s security detail left his Glock and magazine stuffed in the toilet seat cover holder of a Capitol Visitor Center bathroom stall in January 2015, where a CVC worker found the gun.
  • A member of Speaker John A. Boehner’s dignitary protection team left a loaded firearm in the bathroom of Ohio Republican’s office suite in March 2015, where a 7- or 8-year-old child visiting the Capitol with his parents found the weapon.
  • A third Glock was found in April 2015 by custodial staff cleaning the Capitol Police headquarters building on D Street Northeast.
The pattern led to heightened concern about the department charged with protecting one of the world’s most important and frequently visited complexes, with law enforcement officials pledging that the Capitol Police’s Office of Professional Responsibility and its independent inspector general would review the incidents and report findings and recommendations to the Capitol Police Board.

Are there any police officers here co can explain why these guys are taking out their guns in the bathroom? I don't get that at all. Hang your whole best on the hook on the stall door, where you can't miss it as you walk out.

When I was in the military as a private through sergeant, I took keeping track of my weapon very seriously. When I was an officer, I knew my career would be over if I lost track of it, so I tied it to my TA50 with 550 cord as a "dummy rope."

At the same time, Capitol Police launched its own probe of who leaked a photo of one of the guns left in the toilet seat cover dispenser in the CVC bathroom.

View attachment 745801

In the wake of those inquiries, at least one sergeant in the Capitol division, allegedly in retribution for a leak related to Roll Call’s reporting that year of the three incidents, was suspended.

Oh so no punishment for an officer that leaves his gun where children can find and easily fire them, but a suspension for an officer for leaking to the press that their officers do that?
I don't like taking a dump with my handgun on my belt holster because I dont want it touching the floor. But I never lay it down, I will remover my holster and stick the firearm in my jacket pocket or my pants pocket, and this might be too much info, sometimes I just sit it on my shorts down around my ankles. But in no case do I stick it in the TP dispenser or whatever that is. If he really did this it demonstrates very poor judgement.

He was doing his job, she was at least trespassing.
He was a fucking murderer, A stupid hate filled piece of shit Negro government thug with a record of being an asshole. You don't kill an unarmed woman protesting against a stolen election.

The filthy ass BLM Negros burned, murdered, looted and destroyed in over 200 American cities with the support of the Democrat assholes* because a policeman arrested a street thug for counterfeiting. Ashli was worth ten thousand Georges.

The same Democrat asshole that made a hero out of the murderous Negro thug that killed unarmed Ashli.

LOL the Crazy Democrat Bigots approve of shooting unarmed protesters.........if they are white
This is really funny. You want to talk about what constitutes a threat to my life or others? Hint a mob overrunning your position qualifies. Deadly force was completely appropriate.

He was a fucking murderer, A stupid hate filled piece of shit Negro government thug with a record of being an asshole. You don't kill an unarmed woman protesting against a stolen election.

The filthy ass BLM Negros burned, murdered, looted and destroyed in over 200 American cities with the support of the Democrat assholes* because a policeman arrested a street thug for counterfeiting. Ashli was worth ten thousand Georges.

The same Democrat asshole that made a hero out of the murderous Negro thug that killed unarmed Ashli.
You are a mindless hate powered racist. Thankfully, there are fewer and fewer of your kind everyday.

Forum List

Back