Car Dealers Now Remotely Disable Your Car If You Miss A Payment.

Actually the OP saying liberals will howl makes a lot of sense. I can easily see as this technology is used more and more, liberals making claims that the poor are being harassed and kept from getting to appointments and getting to work, etc.
Wouldn't be a bit surprising, and you guys should admit it.

Right now In Detroit, the freeloaders who won't pay their water bills have fixed it so they cannot get disconnected, because of water being a human right. This is right down the alley of liberalism.

Who else will have the ability to disable your car?
I would bet money that this will also give police departments that same ability.

I get why its being done, but I do feel for those who fall behind due to unfortunate circumstances that couldn't have been prevented which is what I guess was dumped on that woman's plate.

God bless you and the woman and her daughter always!!!

Holly

My sister has that system set up in her vehicle. When she is late on her payment a sensor starts beeping to warn her. Sometimes she may be behind on her payments, but just like any company you pay bills to they are usually lenient, as long as you call them and explain the situation. You can almost always set up a payment arrangement. In the end they just want their money.

I would bet money that this will also give police departments that same ability.

I don't mind the purpose of it's current use, but I admit that it's future implications are troubling.

Yep, I could see situations where if the police are watching someone and they check out all of their info, financial situation, etc. and find out that the car they own has such a device, I could see the police comadeering the device and use it if they want or need to.

Liberals will howl but without these devices lots of people couldn't get cars at all.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09...ype=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&src=twr&_r=1&

sep 24 2014

Ms. Bolender was three days behind on her monthly car payment. Her lender, C.A.G. Acceptance of Mesa, Ariz., remotely activated a device in her car’s dashboard that prevented her car from starting. Before she could get back on the road, she had to pay more than $389, money she did not have that morning in March.

“I felt absolutely helpless,” said Ms. Bolender, a single mother who stopped working to care for her daughter. It was not the only time this happened: Her car was shut down that March, once in April and again in June.

This new technology is bringing auto loans — and Wall Street’s version of Big Brother — into the lives of people with credit scores battered by the financial downturn.

Auto loans to borrowers considered subprime, those with credit scores at or below 640, have spiked in the last five years. The jump has been driven in large part by the demand among investors for securities backed by the loans, which offer high returns at a time of low interest rates. Roughly 25 percent of all new auto loans made last year were subprime, and the volume of subprime auto loans reached more than $145 billion in the first three months of this year.

But before they can drive off the lot, many subprime borrowers like Ms. Bolender must have their car outfitted with a so-called starter interrupt device, which allows lenders to remotely disable the ignition. Using the GPS technology on the devices, the lenders can also track the cars’ location and movements.

Little known fact, for years finance companies have been keeping a set of keys so that it's easier to get the cars back after default.

At least that's what a dealer told me when I asked for the second set of keys

So what? Computer software does the same thing when a free trial runs out.

If you're doing a payment plan on something you don't have the money to buy, then you don't own the thing anyway. Three days is a bit short-fused though.

Buy here, pay here places have weekly payments, so three days makes sense.

The new devices can also track the vehicle anywhere you go. It was originally intended for drunk drivers..........breath into the breathalyzer to allow to start the car................

It's BS. With exception to it's original intent.

Actually, GPS in a car is more for the long term plan of a car driving itself.

Is that bad.? It's a way to reduce the amount of speeding and drunk driving.

Consider the OP source. Not the deepest starfish in the ocean if ya get my drift...
No doubt he'll be telling us any minute now how the lady in the article was a "slut" who was using the car to bring a "gang" to a "white dude's door".

The board notes you evaded the issue and stooped to namecalling. Thanks for admitting i'm right.

I already addressed the issue; what the 'board notes" is that YOU evaded the issue when you utterly whiffed on any explanation for "slut".

If it works for dealers it will work for Obama when He decides he's had enough of your criticism and wants you disabled on a freeway. Then your death will be ruled an accident and He can get on with His game.

I wonder if these things can be fitted to BIG airplanes or little golf carts!

What happens when yer on the Freeway and they disable yer car?

What then?

What happens when they disable the WRONG car?

What happens when hackers steal the ability to disable YOUR car?
It doesn't work that way.
The devices can only be activates when the engine is not running and the ignition is in the "off" position.
These devices have been in use for a few years now.
Mostly by so called "buy here pay here" used car dealers.
It's the only way the seller can assure the loan is either paid off or the vehicle cannot be hidden from a repossession order.

Liberals will howl but without these devices lots of people couldn't get cars at all.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09...ype=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&src=twr&_r=1&

sep 24 2014

Ms. Bolender was three days behind on her monthly car payment. Her lender, C.A.G. Acceptance of Mesa, Ariz., remotely activated a device in her car’s dashboard that prevented her car from starting. Before she could get back on the road, she had to pay more than $389, money she did not have that morning in March.

“I felt absolutely helpless,” said Ms. Bolender, a single mother who stopped working to care for her daughter. It was not the only time this happened: Her car was shut down that March, once in April and again in June.

This new technology is bringing auto loans — and Wall Street’s version of Big Brother — into the lives of people with credit scores battered by the financial downturn.

Auto loans to borrowers considered subprime, those with credit scores at or below 640, have spiked in the last five years. The jump has been driven in large part by the demand among investors for securities backed by the loans, which offer high returns at a time of low interest rates. Roughly 25 percent of all new auto loans made last year were subprime, and the volume of subprime auto loans reached more than $145 billion in the first three months of this year.

But before they can drive off the lot, many subprime borrowers like Ms. Bolender must have their car outfitted with a so-called starter interrupt device, which allows lenders to remotely disable the ignition. Using the GPS technology on the devices, the lenders can also track the cars’ location and movements.

Why not just go get the car when and where it's parked. They obviously have the ability to locate said car.
The dealers do just that. The ignition disable device simply assures the vehicle cannot be driven away or hidden.
The dealer then dispatches a tow truck which in turn picks up the vehicle. In time, the buyer will either go to the dealership and make arrangements for payment or simply let the car go.

I get why its being done, but I do feel for those who fall behind due to unfortunate circumstances that couldn't have been prevented which is what I guess was dumped on that woman's plate.

God bless you and the woman and her daughter always!!!

Holly
While compassion is admirable, the bottom line is if people with poor credit did not attempt to evade their debts, this would not be necessary.
Unfortunately the bad apples ruin it for everyone else.

Um... what do liberals have to do with this? :dunno:

Only welfare bum types get these disablers attached to the car and all welfare bums are libs.

Looks like a lot of cars in trailer parks in jesusland won't be running, they should do it with trailer houses too

5378d1362680744t-how-move-car-hates-roll-into-garage-3920365677_ef2001a409.jpg
You're a fucking idiot.
Ever tune into "South Beach Tow?
Lots of expensive cars get picked up. In fact most repossessed vehicles are of higher than average value.
Deadbeats cross all demographic lines.
What if you are driving the thing when they disable it?
The device does not work that way.

The new devices can also track the vehicle anywhere you go. It was originally intended for drunk drivers..........breath into the breathalyzer to allow to start the car................

It's BS. With exception to it's original intent.
Aww come on.....Do you really think the people working at a small used car dealership have the time or resources to sit in an office watching monitors to see where their sold vehicles are located?
Look, if the dealer is holding the note on the vehicle, it is essentially a "lease" until the debt is satisfied.
The contract terms are written such that failure to pay on time or default will result in forfeiture of the vehicle.

So what? Computer software does the same thing when a free trial runs out.

If you're doing a payment plan on something you don't have the money to buy, then you don't own the thing anyway. Three days is a bit short-fused though.
I agree that 3 days late without notice for a vehicle that lives may depend on is too extreme. They should send a late notice & give a 14 to 30 day grace period. People could die if their automobile gets disabled in the desert or a snow storm. They should have a warning light that starts blinking for days before it turns off.

sep 24 2014

I watched a video today that said it might be possible for a hacker to break into your cars computer, command your airbag to deploy while you're travelling at high speed, and cause a serious if not fatal accident.

Forum List

Back