Career trend 'act your wage' from fed up workers brings job warnings from experts

First it was "quiet quitting", now it is "act your wage", what will these crazy kids come up with next?

rage-grandma.gif

And don't work for salary because that employer will have you working seventy hours a week.
In some jobs that is true. In other jobs it can be a huge advantage. You can get your work done when it pleases you and easily take time away for appointments and unexpected events.

Whereas hourly employees have to, for example, get FMLA paperwork filled and filed just to leave work early occasionally without losing their jobs. Say, if a relative has a medical event.

I made that mistake in my twenties but it did motivate me to become self-employed for the next thirty years., where I was paid what I was worth.
i tried to keep side jobs, but that steady gig made many demands.

that is also a problem for people who must work several job. mcdonalds is not going to let you skip a crew meeting or an extended shift just to clock in to your wal mart shift. expect to miss a few classes at night school for that minimum wage check as well. that little bit of upward mobility hurt.

i tried to keep side jobs, but that steady gig made many demands.

that is also a problem for people who must work several job. mcdonalds is not going to let you skip a crew meeting or an extended shift just to clock in to your wal mart shift. expect to miss a few classes at night school for that minimum wage check as well. that little bit of upward mobility hurt.
I worked at McDonald's in the morning and then at Wal Mart in the afternoon to evening in 1986.

I worked at McDonald's in the morning and then at Wal Mart in the afternoon to evening in 1986.
i'd do a midnight shift ar the shipyard, a few classes in the morning and 7/11 in the afternoon. 2 years . i suppose it was worth it. we were always on strike at the shipyard so the money came in handy.

The trend "act your wage" is the mindset that the amount of effort employees put into their job should directly align with their pay.

It seems the main consideration for employees wanting to ‘act their wage’ is to implement boundaries aimed at protecting their own work-life balance and to not overwork themselves to a point that affects their quality of life," said Michelle Reisdorf, Chicago-based district president at Robert Half, the international HR consulting firm.

Why is 'act your wage’ trending?

This trend — and other labor trends — often gain steam seemingly as more employees sign on and feel impacted by the root cause of it, noted Reisdorf.

The state of the job market is complex, and as such, many workers may have had to take on more work and feel burned out, she said.

The gaslighting operation on a generation is going quite well I see. :banghead:

"You are powerless. You can't help yourself. It's always someone else's fault. You need the state to make things right."

The idea of doing a good job used to be about who you are as a person.

Just wait till reality sets in when the unemployment rate hits 5%+.....That and I wonder how that translates with $15.00 a hour fast food workers.
Loyalty is a two way street. Corps have no Loyalty for quite a while. I spent some time in that corporate trap. Spent a year as interim manager of the Columbus office. Major extra work with no extra pay. Then a year of that crap and they hired outside. Left the day of that hire. F them. Three days later I had office space. A week later all the office equipment installed and in place. Eight months later I had all their business for that territory. Their greed was their downfall. Ya people are fed up. They want their piece of the pie.

You guys are lucky that for the most part your social contract with government is respected. In Canada, the Police State has stolen mine and many other driven/talented citizens lives. Hence, our unproductive, uninspired sharply in decline economy.

Loyalty is a two way street. Corps have no Loyalty for quite a while. I spent some time in that corporate trap. Spent a year as interim manager of the Columbus office. Major extra work with no extra pay. Then a year of that crap and they hired outside. Left the day of that hire. F them. Three days later I had office space. A week later all the office equipment installed and in place. Eight months later I had all their business for that territory. Their greed was their downfall. Ya people are fed up. They want their piece of the pie.
"Loyalty"

Should not even be a topic that enters into this discussion, unless it's a reason for a larger bump in pay at the annual review.

Otherwise, there is no loyalty. It's a contract, renewed annually or hourly. I do this, and you pay me this. If I don't, you don't. It's a transaction.

If I buy a tank of gas, I don't expect anything but a tank of gas. I don't expect the clerk to promise me gas at the same price in 6 months. Because I am not buying loyalty. I am buying a tank of gas.

Last edited:
"Loyalty"

Should not even be a topic that enters into this discussion, unless it's a reason for a larger bump in pay at the annual review.

Otherwise, there is no loyalty. It's a contract, renewed annually or hourly. I do this, and you pay me this. If I don't, you don't. It's a transaction.

If I buy a tank of gas, I don't expect anything but a tank of gas. I don't expect the clerk to promise me gas at the same price in 6 months. Because I am not buying loyalty. I am buying a tank of gas.
The problem with this mentality is that it festers all the way to positions of sensitive national security. "Hey, it's not me being killed in Russia or China when I leak a source, I have no loyalty".

I understand your point, but as I grow older and wiser, I have altered my view slightly to really place high value on loyalty. Loyalty ensures patriotism and community.

The problem with this mentality is that it festers all the way to positions of sensitive national security. "Hey, it's not me being killed in Russia or China when I leak a source, I have no loyalty".

I understand your point, but as I grow older and wiser, I have altered my view slightly to really place high value on loyalty. Loyalty ensures patriotism and community.
Loyalty must be earned. I have worked for an employer who has a long history of showing some "loyalty" to its workers, but that does not mean the system is perfect and that everyone is shown "loyalty" when earnings are down and the country is in a recession, some can be shown the door, but the strivers and those who show "loyalty" through their contributions and attitude, day over day, stay on.

There are still corporations like this in America, but it's an endangered species in the business world.

Loyalty must be earned. I have worked for an employer who has a long history of showing some "loyalty" to its workers, but that does not mean the system is perfect and that everyone is shown "loyalty" when earnings are down and the country is in a recession, some can be shown the door, but the strivers and those who show "loyalty" through their contributions and attitude, day over day, stay on.

There are still corporations like this in America, but it's an endangered species in the business world.
The biggest problem is bloated executives and CEOs in my opinion. Without a Middle Class, any economy is grossly underperforming their potential.

But that has not a single thing to do with normal jobs.

And i mentioned a contract. It's in their contract not to give away secrets. It's in my contract not to divulge corporate secrets.

But that has not a single thing to do with normal jobs.

And i mentioned a contract. It's in their contract not to give away secrets. It's in my contract not to divulge corporate secrets.
Without loyalty or character a contract is meaningless. Just take Canadas Charter of Rights and Freedoms for example...

Forum List

Back