Cash-only doctors abandon the insurance system [and their prices are much lower]

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
"The paperwork, the hassles, it just got to be overwhelming," Nunamaker said. "We knew that we had to find a better way to practice."

So Nunamaker and his partner set up a membership-based practice called Atlas M.D. -- a nod to free-market champion Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged.

By cutting out the middleman, Nunamaker said he can get a cholesterol test done for $3, versus the $90 the lab company he works with once billed to insurance carriers. An MRI can be had for $400, compared to a typical billed rate of $2,000 or more.

Nunamaker encourages his patients to carry some type of high-deductible health insurance plan in case of an emergency or serious illness. But for the everyday stuff, he said his plan works better for both doctor and patient.

"It would be like if car insurance paid for gas, oil and tires," he said. "It would be very expensive, and you'd have to get pre-approval for a trip out of town."

Kevin Petersen, a Las Vegas-based general surgeon, stopped taking insurance in 2005. Petersen named the same reasons as Nunamaker: too much paperwork and overhead, declining payments from insurance companies, and a general loss of control.

"The insurance industry took over my practice," he said. "They were telling me what procedures I could do, who I could treat -- I basically became their employee."

Now Petersen does hernia operations for $5,000 a pop, which includes anesthesia, operating room time and follow-up visits. He negotiates special rates for the anesthesiologist and the operating room, and is able to provide the service for about a third of what a patient might pay otherwise.​

index.html

By cutting out the middleman, Nunamaker said he can get a cholesterol test done for $3, versus the $90 the lab company he works with once billed to insurance carriers.

I like that his 3000% markup is attributed to "the middleman."

Anyway, more power to him. Good luck, sir!

I would LOVE to be able to just get a catastrophic-care insurance plan and pocket the premium difference!

My gyno went to all cash three years ago. An office visit is a flat $50. Lab work is another $10.00.

Some doctors are going to concierge service. You pay every month and that pays for whatever medical care you need. On the same principle as Kaiser.

But... I thought our system was "the Best in the World"...

It's the least fucked-up system in the world, but it's still fucked-up. The more government gets involved in a healthcare system, the more fucked-up it becomes.

"The paperwork, the hassles, it just got to be overwhelming," Nunamaker said. "We knew that we had to find a better way to practice."

So Nunamaker and his partner set up a membership-based practice called Atlas M.D. -- a nod to free-market champion Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged.

By cutting out the middleman, Nunamaker said he can get a cholesterol test done for $3, versus the $90 the lab company he works with once billed to insurance carriers. An MRI can be had for $400, compared to a typical billed rate of $2,000 or more.

Nunamaker encourages his patients to carry some type of high-deductible health insurance plan in case of an emergency or serious illness. But for the everyday stuff, he said his plan works better for both doctor and patient.

"It would be like if car insurance paid for gas, oil and tires," he said. "It would be very expensive, and you'd have to get pre-approval for a trip out of town."

Kevin Petersen, a Las Vegas-based general surgeon, stopped taking insurance in 2005. Petersen named the same reasons as Nunamaker: too much paperwork and overhead, declining payments from insurance companies, and a general loss of control.

"The insurance industry took over my practice," he said. "They were telling me what procedures I could do, who I could treat -- I basically became their employee."

Now Petersen does hernia operations for $5,000 a pop, which includes anesthesia, operating room time and follow-up visits. He negotiates special rates for the anesthesiologist and the operating room, and is able to provide the service for about a third of what a patient might pay otherwise.​

index.html

I take issue with that bolded. Ayn Rand wasn't a free-market champion, she was an objectivist "end-justifies-the-means" blatherer that used dystopian settings to make objectivism look good.

Back to the actual topic, though, good for the doctors! Putting more medical practices into the free market (such as it is) will show the insurance companies not to fuck with them and overcharge on everything.

Back to the actual topic, though, good for the doctors! Putting more medical practices into the free market (such as it is) will show the insurance companies not to fuck with them and overcharge on everything.

Getting you to think that insurers are the ones responsible for the overcharging is one of the great tricks that providers play on you.

Even in a thread with an article where a guy says he's using to billing $90 for something he says he can do for $3!

Eh, he's just hyping himself. I see no problems with that.
But I do believe that there is something wrong with our health insurance agencies, and that they do inflate prices on meaningless things.

But... I thought our system was "the Best in the World"...

The quality of care provided is the best in the world. The maze of insurance and government bureaucracy is where the problem lies.

But I do believe that there is something wrong with our health insurance agencies, and that they do inflate prices on meaningless things.

I think you're letting those who are charging those prices off a bit easy and placing the totality of blame on those left paying those inflated bills.

Forum List

Back