CCR, best music of the 60's, and arguably even today

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

1722853227018.png

What makes their music stand out?

August 1969 was a very Creedence month. But so were most months back then. Creedence Clearwater Revival, the most popular band in America, were riding the hot streak of all hot streaks, cranking out swamp-rock classics at a crazy pace. John Fogerty and his Northern California crew released their masterpiece Green River in the first week of August, a few months after their masterpiece Bayou Country and a couple months before their October masterpiece Willy and the Poor Boys. Their Top 40 hits that year: “Proud Mary,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Fortunate Son,” “Down on the Corner,” and the ultimate summer guitar choogle, “Green River.” CCR banged out five of the all-time greatest rock & roll albums in under two years: Bayou, Green River, Willy in 1969, Cosmo’s Factory and Pendulum in 1970.

So it totally makes sense that Creedence were America’s biggest band in the summer of ’69. The weird part is that Creedence are also America’s biggest band in the summer of ’24.

CCR are the most awesomely bizarre case of a classic band that’s bigger than ever right now, without anyone really noticing. But their greatest-hits collection Chronicle is riding high on the Billboard 200 every week, always somewhere in the thirties or forties. It’s currently Number 39, right ahead of the new Ariana Grande album. It’s higher than anything by the Beatles or the Stones or Zeppelin or Queen. It’s crazy because there’s no star power involved, no cult of personality, no Freddie Mercury, no Stevie/Lindsey, no backstory or drama or charisma, no biopic or TV placement, and God knows no sex appeal. Just four anonymous flannel dudes and a bunch of perfect guitar songs about rivers.

CCR sounded the came in concert as they did on their records for the most part.

"We were a four-piece, no-frills band – and the bottom line was in concert, we sounded like we did on our records. I didn't know of any other bands I would go and see that sounded like their records."
-drummer Doug Clifford

View attachment 990297

What makes their music stand out?

August 1969 was a very Creedence month. But so were most months back then. Creedence Clearwater Revival, the most popular band in America, were riding the hot streak of all hot streaks, cranking out swamp-rock classics at a crazy pace. John Fogerty and his Northern California crew released their masterpiece Green River in the first week of August, a few months after their masterpiece Bayou Country and a couple months before their October masterpiece Willy and the Poor Boys. Their Top 40 hits that year: “Proud Mary,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Fortunate Son,” “Down on the Corner,” and the ultimate summer guitar choogle, “Green River.” CCR banged out five of the all-time greatest rock & roll albums in under two years: Bayou, Green River, Willy in 1969, Cosmo’s Factory and Pendulum in 1970.

So it totally makes sense that Creedence were America’s biggest band in the summer of ’69. The weird part is that Creedence are also America’s biggest band in the summer of ’24.

CCR are the most awesomely bizarre case of a classic band that’s bigger than ever right now, without anyone really noticing. But their greatest-hits collection Chronicle is riding high on the Billboard 200 every week, always somewhere in the thirties or forties. It’s currently Number 39, right ahead of the new Ariana Grande album. It’s higher than anything by the Beatles or the Stones or Zeppelin or Queen. It’s crazy because there’s no star power involved, no cult of personality, no Freddie Mercury, no Stevie/Lindsey, no backstory or drama or charisma, no biopic or TV placement, and God knows no sex appeal. Just four anonymous flannel dudes and a bunch of perfect guitar songs about rivers.
probably the best American band ever.

CCR felt like the Rolling Stones or the Who to me, bands I never really liked that were ridiculously popular, had a few songs I liked, for example I liked Sympathy for the Devil and it was just rated as one of the most unnecessary guitar solos (Keith Richards best).

I wish there was a law to donate 10% of the radio play that the big "Classic rock" bands get to less popular groups like Zappa or Roy Buchanan, et. al

But, well, yeah, that's just like my opinion, man

CCR felt like the Rolling Stones or the Who to me, bands I never really liked that were ridiculously popular, had a few songs I liked, for example I liked Sympathy for the Devil and it was just rated as one of the most unnecessary guitar solos (Keith Richards best).

I wish there was a law to donate 10% of the radio play that the big "Classic rock" bands get to less popular groups like Zappa or Roy Buchanan, et. al

But, well, yeah, that's just like my opinion, man
Frank Zappa sucked Bigly
They should pay us to listen to their nonsense

Frank Zappa sucked Bigly
They should pay us to listen to their nonsense

That's so insightful!

What made you arrive at that profound conclusion, his Libertarian politics, his staunch anti-drug stance, his guitar playing, his band members or the music you never listened to?

That's so insightful!

What made you arrive at that profound conclusion, his Libertarian politics, his staunch anti-drug stance, his guitar playing, his band members or the music you never listened to?
Frank Zappa created noise with lyrics to appeal to adolescent males

CCR sounded the came in concert as they did on their records for the most part.

"We were a four-piece, no-frills band – and the bottom line was in concert, we sounded like we did on our records. I didn't know of any other bands I would go and see that sounded like their records."
-drummer Doug Clifford
Sawyer Brown has been on the radio for 40 years now and the lead singer still doesn't sound any different. :) :) :)

God bless you and each past and present member of the band always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back