Characters, not politics made SNL funny.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
What made Saturday Night Live funny IMO was the development of characters that all people could appreciate. Sure, there was the odd impersonation of Gerald Ford, or George Bush Senior, but the core of the comedy was based on characters they created. Gilda Radner was brilliant and gave us Roseanne Roseannadanna, Lisa Loopner, the old "Never mind" lady etc. Eddie Murphy gave us his own interpretation of Mr Rodgers, James Brown and even Gumby that were hilarious. Then there were the Killer Bees, Belushi's Samurai, Church Lady, the Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Sprockets, this was comic gold.

Now SNL has degenerated into a nasty political lampoon show that is only funny to agree with their view. I haven't watched it in many years but from what I hear they basically take the latest Republican news of the week and turn it into a skit putting the GOP and Donald Trump in the worst possible light. What used to be an innovative and entertaining program has now become part of the Democratic apparatus designed to attack the GOP and Donald Trump in particular. SNL now has a very loyal but narrow base of viewers made up of Liberals and anti-Trumpers looking for validation of their hatred. That's not funny.

I think it was Chevy Chase who first injected politics when he portrayed the president. It was a one time skit I believe, had a few laughs and that was that. It has not become an industry, this anti-Americanism.

As a Canadian it's quite sad to see and I pray America and it's loyal patriots to the constitution win the day.

What made Saturday Night Live funny IMO was the development of characters that all people could appreciate. Sure, there was the odd impersonation of Gerald Ford, or George Bush Senior, but the core of the comedy was based on characters they created. Gilda Radner was brilliant and gave us Roseanne Roseannadanna, Lisa Loopner, the old "Never mind" lady etc. Eddie Murphy gave us his own interpretation of Mr Rodgers, James Brown and even Gumby that were hilarious. Then there were the Killer Bees, Belushi's Samurai, Church Lady, the Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Sprockets, this was comic gold.

Now SNL has degenerated into a nasty political lampoon show that is only funny to agree with their view. I haven't watched it in many years but from what I hear they basically take the latest Republican news of the week and turn it into a skit putting the GOP and Donald Trump in the worst possible light. What used to be an innovative and entertaining program has now become part of the Democratic apparatus designed to attack the GOP and Donald Trump in particular. SNL now has a very loyal but narrow base of viewers made up of Liberals and anti-Trumpers looking for validation of their hatred. That's not funny.
Love the Church Lady and Pat.
It isn't all political, though. There are skits all through every week that are spoofing culture and movies, etc. The politics parts are just taking up too much space in your brain.
Oh, yeah, Wayne's World, too, that was priceless.

Least we forget.
festrunk.jpg

You've got to be at least 60. During SNL even back then people didnt like their impersonations and had the same opinions. Its just what getting older looks like. We'll all get there, I listen to some of this music and think the same things about these youngins and their tunes.

I quit watching SNL years upon years ago. Had absolutely no interest in it, I was no longer the college student I was when it first came along. The political skits and YouTube has sort of brought SNL back to life for me. As far as any political agenda, I'm from an era that was the first to grow up with TV and knew how to separate fact from fiction.

I think it was Chevy Chase who first injected politics when he portrayed the president. It was a one time skit I believe, had a few laughs and that was that. It has not become an industry, this anti-Americanism.

As a Canadian it's quite sad to see and I pray America and it's loyal patriots to the constitution win the day.

You've got to be at least 60. During SNL even back then people didnt like their impersonations and had the same opinions. Its just what getting older looks like. We'll all get there, I listen to some of this music and think the same things about these youngins and their tunes.
You are right I am 60 and I remember SNL very well. I stand by my observation that what made Saturday Night Live a ground breaking truly funny show were characterizations that were nearly all non-political. When SNL became a political opinion show is when it ceased being funny and became a tool of the Democratic Party. As always JMO.

SNL has redefined itself and political humor is a big part of that

Forum List

Back