Charlottesville Driver May have Been Panicked into Losing Control of His Car

If an airbag goes off, it doesn't fold back up in the steering wheel, it stays where it is, deflated and in the way. If you are planning on doing something where you may experience a crash and feel that you may need to get away afterwards, you would disable the airbag so that they won't impede your vision or your ability to operate the car.

And yeah, it's a calculated risk. Before the 80's, there were no airbags.
Assuming the airbags were disabled the question as to when they were disabled arises -- and why. This is an extremely speculative question with no evidence value.

That's really the bottom line here. It's an extremely flimsy thing to argue over. I would argue that wearing no disguise and leaving his license plate on the car indicates that we're not exactly dealing with the most sophisticated of intellects here. Thus, assuming he deliberately disabled the airbag so he could run into parked cars is specious at best. I've had an airbag deploy. It hangs there, but certainly does not block your vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already explained like six times why he would disable the air bags and why it matters if he did.
Why not explain it again -- or point me to a message number.

I'm not asking for a calculus formula. A simple sentence should do.

You're being intentionally obtuse. The very post you just quoted lays it all out in third-grade reading level detail --- and then you edited it out of the post and ask "duh, where is it?"

I don't tolerate playing stupid. You're about one inch away from Ignore.

I can't believe you're sitting on this board trying to find excuses for a Nazi terrorist. You've sunk a long way.

If an airbag goes off, it doesn't fold back up in the steering wheel, it stays where it is, deflated and in the way. If you are planning on doing something where you may experience a crash and feel that you may need to get away afterwards, you would disable the airbag so that they won't impede your vision or your ability to operate the car.

Assuming the airbags were disabled the question as to when they were disabled arises -- and why. This is an extremely speculative question with no evidence value.

Probably did it just before he left for the rally.

Probably did it just before he left for the rally.

Please present evidence he actually did it before speculating as to when he might have.

[...]

There's only one reason a car's airbags would not deploy upon a head-on crash like that, and that is that they were deliberately disabled before the crash. It's clear from the front shot of the car, after the collision, that no air bags deployed.

That tells us he disabled them beforehand, and that in turn tells us his collision was premeditated. And THAT in turn mops the floor with the ridiculously desperate premise of this thread hoping against hope to find an excuse for this terrorist asshole.

And you'll notice that the OP who started it ran away. Which is coincidentally, probably your best option at this point. Unless of course you'd like to grow a pair and admit you were engaging in the same apologism.
Why would he disable the airbags?

And the fact that he did not remove or otherwise alter his license plates raises serious question about premeditation.

I've already explained like six times why he would disable the air bags and why it matters if he did.

The fact that he didn't remove or cover his license plates --- or wear a disguise, or decline to be photographed earlier chanting racist memes with a Vanguard shield, or not have a Nosebook page festooned with Nazi shit or have a history going back to high school of what's been called "infatuation with Nazis" --- means that he obviously didn't think of everything and obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the proverbial drawer.

Disabling the air bags takes a few seconds and can easily have been thought of just prior to the attack, independent of all of the above. The air bag switch and indicator is right in front of the driver; the license plate is not.

• Sit on perch casing the street, assess what one sees.... a straight street with people at the end one defines as "the enemy"....
  • Muse that "if I just gun it from here to there, I can take me out some Liburruls"... then I'll slam it into reverse and get away"....
  • Further muse that "if I run into that car my air bag will be all up in my face and smother me, that will make it hard to see, better kill that"
  • Disable air bag
  • Hit gas

The rest is bloody history.

How many people think a deployed airbag will block a driver's vision? From personal experience being t-boned by another car, I can tell you that they completely deflate before you're even aware they deployed.

It remains to be proven that he deliberately disabled them, for any reason.

Oh bullshit. You've apparently never seen a car accident. At least not since 1998 when they became mandatory.

Dude, I've been in a car when they deployed. What, do you actually believe the cartoons that show a big pillow that squishes the driver back into the seat so he can't get out of the car? The truth is, they inflate and deflate before you're aware of anything.

Yes. every time I feel a bump on the left rear of my car, I end up running over people and killing as many as I can.

Wow...so you routinely drive through violent areas with people carrying bats and clubs?
You didn't watch the video did you?
If you did - you would notice 3 things...
1) Prior to the mob surrounding his car...he was driving normally.
2) He swerved away from the person who clubbed his car.
3) Immediately after his car was hit, right before the video ends...you can clearly see the mob surrounding his car.

All of this at the very least allows a reasonable person to investigate the claim.
The video certainly supports the claim he was being attacked by multiple people immediately before accelerating.

iF THAT WASN'T SO SAD, IT WOULD BE FUNNY
1) Yes, he was driving normally as anyone can when they drive into a crowd of people. They didn't come off the sidewalks at him. They were already standing there long before he ran into them. It's not like he was driving highway speeds and he didn't have time to stop well before he was anywhere near them. he had more than enough opportunity to stop, or even turn off on another road.
2) When his car was struck, he had already hit several people.
3) Those surrounding the car were just luck he missed them as he sped through the crowd.
4) You're nuts. Why are you trying to defend someone who intentionally drove into a crowd?

No, I am clearly not defending anyone.
What I am defending is SEEKING THE TRUTH.
And the video, along with others, are compelling.
He may have very well intentionally done this, however the videos DO support the claim that he was being attacked by multiple people with weapons right before accelerating.
It IS possible that he panicked, if so...he is not a murderer. Manslaughter? probably....but a murderer? We need more evidence.
We need to know what happened right before he did this.
We still live in a country, hopefully, where one's guilt is measured by evidence and not emotion.

I disagree. I think the videos support the claim that the car was attacked by one person with a weapon before impact. I have not seen any clear evidence that that first person with what appeared to be a bat actually hit the car, nor that the car accelerated after that first attack with the bat. The car was very close to hitting the crowd and the truck that it rear-ended at the time that the first person took a swing at it with the bat. At that point it appears as though the impact was already intentional, and the person who swung the bat may well have been reacting to that imminent impact (or may have just been a violent ass).

I agree that the driver's guilt should be determined by the evidence. We obviously do not have nearly all of the evidence, but the available videos paint a different picture for me than the do for you.

[...]

There's only one reason a car's airbags would not deploy upon a head-on crash like that, and that is that they were deliberately disabled before the crash. It's clear from the front shot of the car, after the collision, that no air bags deployed.

That tells us he disabled them beforehand, and that in turn tells us his collision was premeditated. And THAT in turn mops the floor with the ridiculously desperate premise of this thread hoping against hope to find an excuse for this terrorist asshole.

And you'll notice that the OP who started it ran away. Which is coincidentally, probably your best option at this point. Unless of course you'd like to grow a pair and admit you were engaging in the same apologism.

And the fact that he did not remove or otherwise alter his license plates raises serious question about premeditation.

The fact that he didn't remove or cover his license plates --- or wear a disguise, or decline to be photographed earlier chanting racist memes with a Vanguard shield, or not have a Nosebook page festooned with Nazi shit or have a history going back to high school of what's been called "infatuation with Nazis" --- means that he obviously didn't think of everything and obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the proverbial drawer.

Disabling the air bags takes a few seconds and can easily have been thought of just prior to the attack, independent of all of the above. The air bag switch and indicator is right in front of the driver; the license plate is not.

• Sit on perch casing the street, assess what one sees.... a straight street with people at the end one defines as "the enemy"....
  • Muse that "if I just gun it from here to there, I can take me out some Liburruls"... then I'll slam it into reverse and get away"....
  • Further muse that "if I run into that car my air bag will be all up in my face and smother me, that will make it hard to see, better kill that"
  • Disable air bag
  • Hit gas

How many people think a deployed airbag will block a driver's vision? From personal experience being t-boned by another car, I can tell you that they completely deflate before you're even aware they deployed.

Oh bullshit. You've apparently never seen a car accident. At least not since 1998 when they became mandatory.

Dude, I've been in a car when they deployed. What, do you actually believe the cartoons that show a big pillow that squishes the driver back into the seat so he can't get out of the car? The truth is, they inflate and deflate before you're aware of anything.

You can see the air bag starting to deflate in this video, even with the super slo-mo.

This one gives a better indication of how quickly the driver is able to see after airbag deployment.

• Disable air bag
  • Hit gas

You can see the air bag starting to deflate in this video, even with the super slo-mo.

This one gives a better indication of how quickly the driver is able to see after airbag deployment.

Yes, it is ludicrous to believe a deployed airbag will block your vision. Now, the prep in question is not likely to be very bright, so maybe he thought it would help, but to insist he did it has no basis in truth, yet.

I disagree. I think the videos support the claim that the car was attacked by one person with a weapon before impact. I have not seen any clear evidence that that first person with what appeared to be a bat actually hit the car, nor that the car accelerated after that first attack with the bat. The car was very close to hitting the crowd and the truck that it rear-ended at the time that the first person took a swing at it with the bat. At that point it appears as though the impact was already intentional, and the person who swung the bat may well have been reacting to that imminent impact (or may have just been a violent ass).

I agree that the driver's guilt should be determined by the evidence. We obviously do not have nearly all of the evidence, but the available videos paint a different picture for me than the do for you.

1) A person appears to hit the car with a club...
2) The driver hits his brake and swerves away from the hit, you can see his brake lights.
3) In the last half-second before the video ends, the driver still going slow, you see a mob with weapons surround his car...clearly...no debate...before he accelerated.

4) Without investigation and carefully comparing placement of people who might be in both videos, you cannot know for sure how much time is between the end of this video and the beginning of the other.

[...]

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to try and save money! Makes MUCH more sense to sabotage your own working airbag, reducing the value of your car, because you KNOW you're about to NEED IT!
About to need it for what? To make a quick getaway after a deliberate crash -- while leaving one's license plates intact and in place to immediately identify oneself?

Honestly, does that really make sense to you?

If I were this defendant I would dismiss the airbag issue by saying I disabled them on the day I bought the car for the same reason I never use seat-belts: They make me feel trapped and I'm afraid of them. So give me a summons.

There is a stage in a criminal trial called, Discovery, which is when the defense can demand the prosecutor to present his/her evidence for preparatory examination. If I were a lawyer defending in this trial I would ask that the disabled airbag theory be dismissed as having no evidence value. And there is a very good chance it would be, because it is purely speculative.

The disabling of airbags is nothing but speculation at this point, isn't it?

For us here, yes. It should have been done by now by local police and should be done by the prosecuting attorney in the event --- which is unlikely since it's absurd --- that the defense would try to use the "accident" scenario that this ridiculous Nazi-apologist thread tried to do in starting this thread.

Nobody asserted that the driver DID disable the airbags, except a poster a few minutes ago trying to inject a strawman. We're in no position to know. I'm just saying it needs to be looked into.

[...]

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to try and save money! Makes MUCH more sense to sabotage your own working airbag, reducing the value of your car, because you KNOW you're about to NEED IT!
About to need it for what? To make a quick getaway after a deliberate crash -- while leaving one's license plates intact and in place to immediately identify oneself?

Honestly, does that really make sense to you?

If I were this defendant I would dismiss the airbag issue by saying I disabled them on the day I bought the car for the same reason I never use seat-belts: They make me feel trapped and I'm afraid of them. So give me a summons.

There is a stage in a criminal trial called, Discovery, which is when the defense can demand the prosecutor to present his/her evidence for preparatory examination. If I were a lawyer defending in this trial I would ask that the disabled airbag theory be dismissed as having no evidence value. And there is a very good chance it would be, because it is purely speculative.

--- which is exactly why first you determine *IF* they were disabled, and if so *WHEN*.

THEN if you have an indication, you present that on the witness stand in search of a reason for WHY the defendant disabled them (and when).

--- and all that is ********IF******* the defendant first takes the course of the absurd pretention of this thread and tries to claim "panic". Which is a very remote possibility.

--- which is exactly why first you determine *IF* they were disabled, and if so *WHEN*.

THEN if you have an indication, you present that on the witness stand in search of a reason for WHY the defendant disabled them (and when).

--- and all that is ********IF******* the defendant first takes the course of the absurd pretention of this thread and tries to claim "panic". Which is a very remote possibility.
Any prosecutor who would present something this flimsy as "evidence" is looking for an acquittal.

The license plate factor is tangible evidence -- the kind of thing that sways juries. The airbag issue is theoretical speculation.

[...]

Nobody asserted that the driver DID disable the airbags, except a poster a few minutes ago trying to inject a strawman. We're in no position to know. I'm just saying it needs to be looked into.
Why? It would have no evidence value.

hadit, post: 17943475
He was right, however, to condemn violence in general. This won't stop and more people will die, because the groups that tangled are two sides of the same violent coin, they just have different things to complain about.

Who is much more morally supportable by a conscientious multicultural healthy freedom loving society; One who actively but peacefully opposes and protests fascist racist Nazi rallies? Or one who actively but peacefully promotes public displays of Nazi regalia and ideology as the only proper ideology for all of society?

Can you choose a side?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back