Christian cross has no place on L.A. County seal, judge rules

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
Correct ruling

in a long-awaited ruling, a federal judge has sided with plaintiffs who argued it was unconstitutional for Los Angeles County supervisors to place a Christian cross on the county seal.

A divided Board of Supervisors voted in 2014 to reinstate the cross on top of a depiction of the San Gabriel Mission, which appears on the seal among other symbols of county history. They were sued by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California and a group of religious leaders and scholars, who said placement of the cross on the seal unconstitutionally favored Christianity over other religions.

Correct ruling

in a long-awaited ruling, a federal judge has sided with plaintiffs who argued it was unconstitutional for Los Angeles County supervisors to place a Christian cross on the county seal.

A divided Board of Supervisors voted in 2014 to reinstate the cross on top of a depiction of the San Gabriel Mission, which appears on the seal among other symbols of county history. They were sued by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California and a group of religious leaders and scholars, who said placement of the cross on the seal unconstitutionally favored Christianity over other religions.

no its not a correct ruling.....the seal is depicting the history of the city and its founding like the San Gabriel Mission....if you atheist and other religers dont like that....move....and if you dont live there what business is it of yours and why would you care?.....

Correct ruling

no its not a correct ruling.....the seal is depicting the history of the city and its founding like the San Gabriel Mission....if you atheist and other religers dont like that....move....and if you dont live there what business is it of yours and why would you care?.....
Nope christer symbols do not belong on public signage or government property. History?so should southern states have KKK symbols? Thankfully that Confederate rag is being taken down even in the south, the same should be done with the crosses, and is and will be.

Correct ruling

I guess the next thing to be changed is the name of the city and county.

After all, the City of the Angels is far too religious.

and then they can go after San Francisco, San Bernadino, etc.

Correct ruling

Why didn't the assholes remove the mission too? That's a Christian symbol. Why are leftist so afraid of Christianity?

Correct ruling

and if you dont live there what business is it of yours and why would you care?

wow that's like something Stephanie says

Correct ruling

Nope christer symbols do not belong on public signage or government property. History?so should southern states have KKK symbols? Thankfully that Confederate rag is being taken down even in the south, the same should be done with the crosses, and is and will be.
guno the missions are a major part of the history of this region and i would bet their history is quite different than the KKK which was based on intimidation and violence....the problem with people with your mindset is you want history to be told or shown only if you agree to it....whether you like it or not,the city of LA and much of this region was founded by catholics and people descended from Spaniards....

Correct ruling

and if you dont live there what business is it of yours and why would you care?

wow that's like something Stephanie says
so i will ask again guno.....why would you care if some little fucking cross on a depiction of San Gabriel on a seal you knew nothing about until some asswipe brought it up and a seal that hardly anyone notices around here and has no impact on anyones life, matter to you?.... care to answer?....

If I lived in the area, I'd purchase an appropriately colored nail polish, and replaced the crosses on any of the seals I happened on.

Guano doesn't like the cross unless he's using it as a landmark to find the food pantry for his weekly food box.

If I lived in the area, I'd purchase an appropriately colored nail polish, and replaced the crosses on any of the seals I happened on.
i have lived here for close to 50 years and unless i have to go to a govt building which is not too often,i never see any govt seals and if i do i dont pay much attention to it as i am sure is the same for everyone else.....people with gunos mindset are the busybodies of society....."if you dont like what we want,tough shit,so either change to be like us,or,we will take you to court and force you to change"......they are kinda like the far right and left....

Seal of Los Angeles County 1887-1957

596px-Seal_of_Los_Angeles_County_California_1887-1957_zps3kf8l2pd.png

Seal now. One on the left was deemed unconstitutional, and replaced with the current one on the right.

la-me-ln-la-county-seal-cross-20160407-005_zpsl0kxz28a.jpg

So for 70 years Christians were fine with grapes. But without a 'cross' over the Hollywood Bowl it is another 'war on christianity'.

Cons, this is what political correctness is. You gladly participate in it as well. A mission is shown, pretty much also ONLY a symbol of Christianity. Relax.

One is a Board of Supervisors seal, the other is a County seal. What was the point?

There is no way those missions can continue to stand. If all vegtiges of Christianity have to be eliminated, those state supported missions have to be torn down

Seal of Los Angeles County 1887-1957

596px-Seal_of_Los_Angeles_County_California_1887-1957_zps3kf8l2pd.png

Seal now. One on the left was deemed unconstitutional, and replaced with the current one on the right.

la-me-ln-la-county-seal-cross-20160407-005_zpsl0kxz28a.jpg

So for 70 years Christians were fine with grapes. But without a 'cross' over the Hollywood Bowl it is another 'war on christianity'.

Cons, this is what political correctness is. You gladly participate in it as well. A mission is shown, pretty much also ONLY a symbol of Christianity. Relax.
Ok now I see what you meant.

In 2014, five years after a Latin cross was added to the eastern facade of the actual mission, supervisors voted to put one on the seal as well, following a motion by two board members who said the rendering was otherwise “aesthetically and architecturally inaccurate.”

In issuing her opinion, the judge appeared skeptical that accuracy was behind the move, saying that the county made no effort to enforce such artistic rigor with regard to the San Salvador, Hollywood Bowl or prize-winning cow.

The entire state of California was founded by the Catholic Church when it built missions all up and down the Pacific coast. The God-hating atheists at the ACLU want to eliminate that history and all acknowledgement. If they had it their way, all the cities would be renamed and all the missions would be knocked down, like what ISIS is doing in Iraq and Syria. ACLU and ISIS will meet in hell.

In 2014, five years after a Latin cross was added to the eastern facade of the actual mission, supervisors voted to put one on the seal as well, following a motion by two board members who said the rendering was otherwise “aesthetically and architecturally inaccurate.”

In issuing her opinion, the judge appeared skeptical that accuracy was behind the move, saying that the county made no effort to enforce such artistic rigor with regard to the San Salvador, Hollywood Bowl or prize-winning cow.
i notice you did not answer my question above.....too tough for you?....

Forum List

Back