Cocaine was the main ingredient of Coca-Cola until 1914 and the Harrison Narcotics Act, signed by President Woodrow Wilson on this day in history

Ya I didnt think so....

The two soda powerhouses have been battling it out for market share for over a century now. The saga started all the way back in 1886 when John S. Pemberton made the original recipe of Coca-Cola. His recipe included ingredients like coca extract, coco, caffeine, sugar water, lime juice, vanilla, caramel, and more.

I kinda thought that bra would come back with a response, or clarification
to what he meant when he said that cocaine was the MAIN ingredient in Coca Cola

I kinda thought that bra would come back with a response, or clarification
to what he meant when he said that cocaine was the MAIN ingredient in Coca Cola
i got it from someone on twitter. if it's wrong, i apologize

Early Coca-Cola contained cocaine​

Coca-Cola did, in fact, once contain cocaine, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. When the popular drink was invented, it was first marketed as a “patent medicine”; cocaine was legal at the time and was a common ingredient in medicines, according to the institute.

Coca-Cola’s history has been well-documented. The drink was invented in 1885 by John Pemberton, a pharmacist from Atlanta, Georgia, who made the original formula in his backyard. Pemberton’s recipe contained cocaine in the form of an extract of the coca leaf, which inspired the “Coca” part of the beverage’s name.

My recollection is that when the the coca leaf was being harvested the field workers were encouraged to chew the leaves
because it would be a stimulant for them and they got more hours out of their labor.

Cocoa leaf extract was an ingredient, but the main one was actually the kola nut. Which had a sweet taste and was common in beverages and tea in the era.

It was common in most beverages of this type in the era. Including Pepsi Cola, Royal Crown Cola, and others. And it is naturally high in caffeine, which is why that is added to soft drinks even today.

I would bet that by weight, the main ingredient of coca cola then and now, after water, is sugar?

And it seems I am right?
{...
Coke contains a fairly short list of ingredients:
  • Carbonated water
  • Sugar (which can be sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup)
  • Caffeine
  • Phosphoric acid v. caramel (E150d)
  • Natural flavorings (which include coca leaf extract)

...}

Chances are that sugar was the main ingredient in early Coca Cola but cocaine was certainly an ingredient. Chalk it up in the category of "what goes around" but opiates were a popular (legal) ingredient in medication for kids back in the late 19th and early 20th and now opiates are a leading cause of death for young adults in the 21st century.

Chances are that sugar was the main ingredient in early Coca Cola but cocaine was certainly an ingredient. Chalk it up in the category of "what goes around" but opiates were a popular (legal) ingredient in medication for kids back in the late 19th and early 20th and now opiates are a leading cause of death for young adults in the 21st century.
Not opiates, but their wild uses. You can't die from opiates, they are not even toxic
Overdose can lead to respiratory arrest, but this applies to almost all medications

The most terrible and hard drug is alcohol
Heroin and cocaine users do not beat their wives or rape their children
Alcohol alone leads to such beastly state

There have been cases of alcoholics selling their children and renting them out to perverts for a single dose of alcohol that costs a few cents.
In the USSR, during the Prohibition era, these pigs drank denatured alcohol and perfumes
I'm not kidding

Everyone wants to think that cocaine was an ingredient because that is cool.

Yet, the fact is, cocaine did not exist when coke was invented. Cocaine would not be invented for another 13 years.

Not that words and meanings matter when applied to chemicals and such.

Forum List

Back