'Common Carry' why are our legislators criminalizing 'Common' in what we carry?

Sahba

VIP Member
Mar 2, 2018
VT & NH
Second Amendment protects the assault rifles

For the life of me I can't understand the trend of may states to follow 'Feinstein-inian' legislative logic in defiance of the Constitution. Could a few of you David Hogg types explain to us the rather arbitrary path many States are taking in limiting magazine sizes to what they have. While your at it could you elaborate, drawing from your delicate sensitivities, on what it is that leaves you feeling safer in zones where only law breakers will be packing... Convert me... cus I'm having a hard time reconciling the "commons sense" gun control agenda with my own common sense.

For the life of me I can't understand the trend of may states to follow 'Feinstein-inian' legislative logic in defiance of the Constitution. Could a few of you David Hogg types explain to us the rather arbitrary path many States are taking in limiting magazine sizes to what they have. While your at it could you elaborate, drawing from your delicate sensitivities, on what it is that leaves you feeling safer in zones where only law breakers will be packing... Convert me... cus I'm having a hard time reconciling the "commons sense" gun control agenda with my own common sense.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but the USA is the only country with a mass shooting problem. We also have weak gun laws and the most guns. More regulation is obviously needed. With more dangerous weapons becoming common like AR15's with high capacity magazines the death count has gotten worse. Vegas shooter killed 58 while injuring hundreds. Weapons for mass killing need to be heavily regulated.

For the life of me I can't understand the trend of may states to follow 'Feinstein-inian' legislative logic in defiance of the Constitution
Fair enough. For myself, I can't understand the lack of memberships in well regulated militias, in defiance of the Constitution.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the USA is the only country with a mass shooting problem. We also have weak gun laws and the most guns. More regulation is obviously needed. With more dangerous weapons becoming common like AR15's with high capacity magazines the death count has gotten worse. Vegas shooter killed 58 while injuring hundreds. Weapons for mass killing need to be heavily regulated.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

Yes, the U.S. rate is still high, and nothing to be proud of. But it's not the highest in the developed world. Not by a long shot.

Yet, some today propose banning rifles, in particular AR-15s, because they've been used in a number of mass killings. It's important to note however that, according to FBI crime data cited this week by the Daily Caller, deaths by knives in the U.S. outnumber deaths by rifles by five to 1: In 2016, 1,604 people were killed by knives and other cutting instruments, while 374 were killed by rifles.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings | Investor's Business Daily

For the life of me I can't understand the trend of may states to follow 'Feinstein-inian' legislative logic in defiance of the Constitution
Fair enough. For myself, I can't understand the lack of memberships in well regulated militias, in defiance of the Constitution.
Don't worry yourself about 'membership' or 'joining up'... it's the sum of all of us law abiding citizens (or should be). Let's go to the founders intent on this... the source

In the Words of George Mason and James Madison:

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials.”

-George Mason

“That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free State; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided, as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.”

-James Madison and George Mason, Virginia Declaration of Rights

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

That's not all. There were also 27% more casualties from 2009 to 2015 per mass shooting incident in the European Union than in the U.S.

"There were 16 cases where at least 15 people were killed," the study said. "Out of those cases, four were in the United States, two in Germany, France, and the United Kingdom."

"But the U.S. has a population four times greater than Germany's and five times the U.K.'s, so on a per-capita basis the U.S. ranks low in comparison — actually, those two countries would have had a frequency of attacks 1.96 (Germany) and 2.46 (UK) times higher."

Yes, the U.S. rate is still high, and nothing to be proud of. But it's not the highest in the developed world. Not by a long shot.

Yet, some today propose banning rifles, in particular AR-15s, because they've been used in a number of mass killings. It's important to note however that, according to FBI crime data cited this week by the Daily Caller, deaths by knives in the U.S. outnumber deaths by rifles by five to 1: In 2016, 1,604 people were killed by knives and other cutting instruments, while 374 were killed by rifles.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings | Investor's Business Daily

Norway? They had one mass shooting. That was years ago. We regularly have mass shootings obviously.

imrs.php

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/united-states-lower-death-shootings/

In reality, mass shootings are rare outside the United States — even in the sixteen countries listed by Lott where there was a mass shooting between 2009 and 2015, and even after accounting for population size. But on the rare occasions when mass shootings do take place in European countries, they give rise to a relatively high annual mass shooting death rate in those years because of the comparatively small populations of those countries.

Between 2009 and 2015, the United States was the only country on that list where someone died every year in a mass shooting. Every other country had at least five out seven years without a death from a mass shooting.

Finally, the death rate from mass shootings has significantly increased in the United States since Lott published his research in 2015. We applied the CPRC criteria to the frequently updated database of mass shootings maintained by Mother Jones, and found that in 2016, there were 65 deaths in incidents that would be designated mass shootings under CPRC criteria, and in 2017 there were 94. Over the two years, that is an average annual death rate of 0.24 per million people, which is almost three times higher than the United States death rate between 2009 and 2015.

In other words, things have become dramatically worse in the United States since the CPRC research was first published.

Snopes.com has long been engaged in the battle against misinformation and fake news online, an effort we could not sustain without the support of our readers. If you'd like to learn more about how you can support us, click here. If you'd like to make a contribution now, click here.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

We also have weak gun laws

They would be a lot less 'weak' if they were enforced.

More regulation is obviously needed.

We have more regulation than we need.

what we need is the laws on books being enforced

Ah, but where are the cherry pickings of yesteryear?

They've gone the way of the accepted definition of mass shootings.

Our gun laws are very weak compared to all the countries that don't have regular school shootings. Even angry children seem to have no problem getting a gun here.

Norway? They had one mass shooting. That was years ago. We regularly have mass shootings obviously.
No no. You are using the FBI definition of mass shootings. An obvious mistake. You should be using investors.com's definition. After all, that's their area of expertise...profit and loss in the firearm industry.

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials.”
Sweet. Now all you need is to show me their membership of well regulated militias. Then the Constitution will be adhered to in all its points.

We'll ignore for the moment the whole people being white men.

Our gun laws are very weak compared to all the countries that don't have regular school shootings. Even angry children seem to have no problem getting a gun here.

Even angry children seem to have no problem getting a gun here.
enforce the laws on the books, don t' let lawyers plea bargains crimes that have firearms involved.

You can make a thousand new laws, but if they aren't enforced, they're useless

Our Nation exists because we took it through blood sacrifice and sheer resolve to be free, free from a tyrannical King. Guns are the very to catalyst that brought forth our existence as commonwealths, states and ultimately a Nation. My AR is as American as apple pie, you might say... & it's rubbing me and plenty of others the wrong way when this fundamental fact is disregarded, and actively opposed.

enforce the laws on the books, don t' let lawyers plea bargains crimes that have firearms involved.

Except strong gun control seems to work really well in every country with them. That is why our homicide rate is 4-5X that of any civilized country with strong gun control.

We also have the most people in jail btw, so no you can't blame lawyers.

Except strong gun control seems to work really well in every country with them. That is why our homicide rate is 4-5X that of any civilized country with strong gun control.

Except strong gun control seems to work really well in every country with them.

maybe, 'brain', because the laws are enforced.

unlike here

Our Nation exists because we took it through blood sacrifice and sheer resolve to be free, free from a tyrannical King. Guns are the very to catalyst that brought forth our existence as commonwealths, states and ultimately a Nation. My AR is as American as apple pie, you might say... & it's rubbing me and plenty of others the wrong way when this fundamental fact is disregarded, and actively opposed.

Sorry, but the country existed long before AR's. It is irresponsible for gun companies to sell mass killing weapons to civilians. All you are doing is well arming murderers. This is depriving far too many of their right to life.

Except strong gun control seems to work really well in every country with them.

maybe, 'brain', because the laws are enforced.

unlike here
Again, we have the most people in jail.

Sweet. Now all you need is to show me their membership of well regulated militias. Then the Constitution will be adhered to in all its points.

We'll ignore for the moment the whole people being white men.
Now we're multicultural... And... does that make an iota of difference? and if it does... why should it?

Forum List

Back