🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Common Sense on George Carlin.

Ok, going to log off so here's the answer:

The reason Carlin's statement is false is twofold. One, because the "Average American" is average because the majority of Americans are about that level of intelligence. That's why it's called an average. I doubt that there are any studies at all that Carlin looked up to come up with that statement but he doesn't have to. It's just a joke. But if we did the study the vast majority of Americans would be "Average. Not half. The amount of people who fall statistically significatly below or above the "average" are very small.

I'm going to go out on a limb here....You didn't major in statistics, did you?

I don't have to, it's common sense. It's called a bell curve. The fact that you think Carlin's statement is correct shows us all why you're ignorant enough to vote democrat.

I loved George Carlin he was funny as hell but I never based my political or social views on his stand up routines.

He was funnier when he stuck to comedy. It seems that after his heart attack, he became just an angry old fart. And in case someone wants to claim I'm just partisan, Carlin equally attacted the DNC and the GOP. He just wasn't that funny at it.

Kudos to you for being able to separate truth from comedy.

Ok, going to log off so here's the answer:

The reason Carlin's statement is false is twofold. One, because the "Average American" is average because the majority of Americans are about that level of intelligence. That's why it's called an average. I doubt that there are any studies at all that Carlin looked up to come up with that statement but he doesn't have to. It's just a joke. But if we did the study the vast majority of Americans would be "Average. Not half. The amount of people who fall statistically significatly below or above the "average" are very small.

I don't have to, it's common sense. It's called a bell curve. The fact that you think Carlin's statement is correct shows us all why you're ignorant enough to vote democrat.

Holy shit, you're actually dumber than I originally thought. What do you do for a living? I want to know what job requires absolutely no math skills whatsoever.

Completely literally, the statement would be more accurate if he had said "median" instead of "average".

But it's not staggeringly inaccurate, from a statistical point of view.

I loved George Carlin he was funny as hell but I never based my political or social views on his stand up routines.

He was funnier when he stuck to comedy. It seems that after his heart attack, he became just an angry old fart. And in case someone wants to claim I'm just partisan, Carlin equally attacted the DNC and the GOP. He just wasn't that funny at it.

Kudos to you for being able to separate truth from comedy.

no he was funny and right on the money like W.C fields... if you couldnt grasp that satire then sucks to be you.

Completely literally, the statement would be more accurate if he had said "median" instead of "average".

If he'd have said median, it's still completely false to say that "Half" is below that.

Just stop. You're only making it worse.

"In statistics and probability theory, the median is the numerical value separating the higher half of a data sample, a population, or a probability distribution, from the lower half. The median of a finite list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one (eg, the median of {3, 5, 9} is 5). If there is an even number of observations, then there is no single middle value; the median is then usually defined to be the mean of the two middle values."

Comedians have to be well read and versed in a lot of things to make their comedy relevant so they can relate to the crowds. Yea they're just entertainers but guys like Will Rogers and WC Fields are still quoted today as much as anyone. Mark Twain also.

Here's George's shining moment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY4WlxO6i0]The Owners of the Country - YouTube[/ame]

If he'd have said median, it's still completely false to say that "Half" is below that.

Just stop. You're only making it worse.

"In statistics and probability theory, the median is the numerical value separating the higher half of a data sample, a population, or a probability distribution, from the lower half. The median of a finite list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one (eg, the median of {3, 5, 9} is 5). If there is an even number of observations, then there is no single middle value; the median is then usually defined to be the mean of the two middle values."

Do you understand your post? I doubt it. If you did, you'd know that it doesn't refute what I'm saying. Here's a hint for you since you have no clue; the highlighted above.

Holy shit, you're actually dumber than I originally thought. What do you do for a living? I want to know what job requires absolutely no math skills whatsoever.

With every post you show your ignorance. Keep it up.

Comedians have to be well read and versed in a lot of things to make their comedy relevant so they can relate to the crowds. Yea they're just entertainers but guys like Will Rogers and WC Fields are still quoted today as much as anyone. Mark Twain also.

Here's George's shining moment:

The Owners of the Country - YouTube

Quoted does not equal correct.

Look people, it's really not hard.

It's called average because MOST of the people fall along those lines. It isn't that half the population is higher and half is lower, it's average because the average person it at that level.

If you are still confused, find a graph or a study of the Average intelligence of a population.

Humor is often expressing the truth that we cannot admit to ourselves.

Laughter is the relief we feel when we discover that what we knew in our hearts is also known and openly expressed by our court jesters.

Show me a person who cannot laugh at the jesters' truth and I will show you someone whose interests are in repressing that truth

Here's a good example of why it's ignorant to get your political talking points from comedians:

What's wrong with this Carlin quote?

"Think about how dumb the Average American is, now realize that half of Americans are dumber than that!"~George Carlin

It's a mildly amusing statement, but it is false in every important respect. If he actually cared about the truth and the facts, he wouldn't have said that. But it isn't his job to tell the truth and to tell us facts, it's his job to make us laugh.

Same with Bill Maher, Steven Colbert, John Stewart, and on and on.

One does not have to study history or political science, and in fact one doesn't even have to graduate High School to be a comedian. You want to quote comedians to make a point? Well sit back while we all point and laugh at your dumb ass.

That statement couldn't be any truer. Look at this site for proof.

Are you joking or do you believe that the statement is true?

Could be he is trying to prove the statement.

I have often proposed to Predfan that we meet for coffee in O-town sometime to share a few laughs. How silly of me.......dude has no funny bone.

Hey, nit wit. I said it was funny, all I'm saying is that it's wrong. The point is that funny is not the same as correct. It doesn't have to be.

Remind me to take you to the comedy club so I can check the math skills of the performers.

I have often proposed to Predfan that we meet for coffee in O-town sometime to share a few laughs. How silly of me.......dude has no funny bone.

Hey, nit wit. I said it was funny, all I'm saying is that it's wrong. The point is that funny is not the same as correct. It doesn't have to be.

Remind me to take you to the comedy club so I can check the math skills of the performers.

That's the point nit wit. It only has to be funny, it doesn't have to be correct. That's the point of my thread. The folly of using comedians to get your political talking points.

Understand now?

When one laughs at Jestors who are playing the FOOL, one is laughing not at what is wrong, but at the absurdity of getting it wrong.

the foundation of all humor is TRUTH.

Forum List

Back