Company With Ties To Trump Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program

Actually, looking at the big companies and franchises getting the biggest share of small business money, no. I disagree. The Republicans are way more interested in making sure their big time donors and lobbyists get squeezed into the definition of "small business" then they are in serving the real small business. Sounds like pork to me. Only they got away with it while most of the Dem pork, including some of the demands for stricter rules - was ditched.

You mean the franchisee who scrimped and saved for 10 years in order to purchase a business of their own?

Pork is when Pelosi wanted to give millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood.
You know, that NON-PROFIT organization that is worth $500 BILLION dollars
1. Nope
2. Pork is when McConnel specifically cut out PP from any benefits but energy companies and such got a handout.

1 Yup (lol!)

2. Show me where energy companies received loans.

You need to rid your mind of the word 'handout'.
SBA loans are not handouts.
what are they then if they don't have to be repaid as long as you do XYZ?

Income, which the business needs to report

Actually, looking at the big companies and franchises getting the biggest share of small business money, no. I disagree. The Republicans are way more interested in making sure their big time donors and lobbyists get squeezed into the definition of "small business" then they are in serving the real small business. Sounds like pork to me. Only they got away with it while most of the Dem pork, including some of the demands for stricter rules - was ditched.

You mean the franchisee who scrimped and saved for 10 years in order to purchase a business of their own?

Pork is when Pelosi wanted to give millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood.
You know, that NON-PROFIT organization that is worth $500 BILLION dollars
1. Nope
2. Pork is when McConnel specifically cut out PP from any benefits but energy companies and such got a handout.

1 Yup (lol!)

2. Show me where energy companies received loans.

You need to rid your mind of the word 'handout'.
SBA loans are not handouts.

I already linked to one in this thread. And, they have the potential of being wiped so yes they are a form of handout.

Trump has ties to THOUSANDS of businesses, contractors, suppliers & general contractors because of his decades of being a builder.

If you have something criminal or shady post it otherwise stfu.
But they aren’t all big donors or his state campaign finance chair.
Is he/her a legit business and did they get the money allowed by law to any applying business? Or was there something done underhanded?

We've been through this guilt by association bullshit over and over.
So. Am I correct in thinking you feel there is no need for i dependent overdpsight here? (no problem, I understand that you think Trump and Republicans need absolutely no oversight)
you keep saying REPUBLICANS as if no Democrat ever spent money w/o oversight.

no oversight is a problem for both sides. you don't watch it carefully they will push their agenda. BOTH SIDES.

when you argue from a singular point of view, it's partisan. when you blame the OTHER side and ONLY the OTHER side, it's partisan. and in my mind, why we never get anywhere. the instant reaction to getting blamed for something is to counter blame. HUMAN trait.

so while we agree on how to view news (and while some sites like CNN still have solid reporters there, i simply no longer care when your mainstay is to inflame people with rhetoric) - when do we agree on what's human trait vs. "those damn (insert stereotype here)"?

then again maybe blaming someone is also simply human nature and i'm wasting my time trying to get people to stop being so monocular in their views.

I agree, but the current environment, particularly this thread and this particular poster, is - blame the Dems.

Bipartisan oversight is an important congressional duty and check on executive overreach, regardless of party.

Trump has ties to THOUSANDS of businesses, contractors, suppliers & general contractors because of his decades of being a builder.

If you have something criminal or shady post it otherwise stfu.
But they aren’t all big donors or his state campaign finance chair.
Is he/her a legit business and did they get the money allowed by law to any applying business? Or was there something done underhanded?

We've been through this guilt by association bullshit over and over.
So. Am I correct in thinking you feel there is no need for i dependent overdpsight here? (no problem, I understand that you think Trump and Republicans need absolutely no oversight)
you keep saying REPUBLICANS as if no Democrat ever spent money w/o oversight.

no oversight is a problem for both sides. you don't watch it carefully they will push their agenda. BOTH SIDES.

when you argue from a singular point of view, it's partisan. when you blame the OTHER side and ONLY the OTHER side, it's partisan. and in my mind, why we never get anywhere. the instant reaction to getting blamed for something is to counter blame. HUMAN trait.

so while we agree on how to view news (and while some sites like CNN still have solid reporters there, i simply no longer care when your mainstay is to inflame people with rhetoric) - when do we agree on what's human trait vs. "those damn (insert stereotype here)"?

then again maybe blaming someone is also simply human nature and i'm wasting my time trying to get people to stop being so monocular in their views.

I agree, but the current environment, particularly this thread and this particular poster, is - blame the Dems.

Bipartisan oversight is an important congressional duty and check on executive overreach, regardless of party.
if only you meant that when the shoes on the other foot,,,

Again: oversight! Why are these business' getting such HUGE amounts, while way too many genuinely small business' not getting ANYTHING?

Loans to employers < 500 and > 500 employees...

In order to keep employees on the payroll rather than lay them off without NOTHING.

Big business need bigger amounts.

Nothing has been done wrong here.

In fact this thread should go into CT .

Note: THIS IS NOT A BAILOUT like GMC was.

Next: Email Pelosi and tell her to get her @ss back to DC so she can get busy writing phase 4 instead of wasting the taxpayers money.

The US is in crisis and Pelosi sits at her home in SanFran showing off her icecream.
if the money was for small businesses, then i have a problem with big corps coming in to take it. a family thai restaurant that just opened up near me. i loved it. tried to go before opening and met the owners. very nice couple. they put everything they had into it and a week or so after opening all i can say is i'm glad i went there once; it likely won't be there when this is done. first few months of a new business is critical and these people, like many others, were cut off at the knees. even a "loan" is debt they didn't figure into opening.

it sucks. i get that big companies need to keep feeding people too. but then i just ask why we're all hiding out from life as if it's going to hurt it. word up, it is. no one is getting out alive and for some of us our exit will totally suck. that is a factor we simply cannot change. while i agree we can act smart, i don't see us doing that now.

i see us acting in media driven panic and people in total fear to simply breathe.

the 'big corps' (whatever that means to you) aren't coming in and 'taking it'.
All who qualify are being LOANED monies.

The 'issue', I guess, is that our politicians didn't realize how many biz's small or large would need loans.

Email Pelosi and tell her to get her butt on a jet back to DC in order to vote on the most recent bill that will fund the SBA.
how did fogo de chau qualify?

"In response to the outcry over the chain's acceptance of PPP funding, CEO Barry McGowan defended the decision to accept the loans, telling the Wall Street Journal, "The scale of our business doesn't matter."

if the scale of their business doesn't matter, how did they qualify for "small business loans"?

again i get that they have to keep their employees going as well. there simply is NO GOOD ANSWER here when you shut down life as we know it to go hide at home and hope you don't get sick. but if the intention of this $$$ was for truly businesses less than 500 people, then no these companies should have not been able to tap into those funds. should they be helped? sure. if we have ink for the money machines what the hell.

but they should not have been able to loophole into funds geared to save small business.

and it's not just pelosi. she's a bitch from hell, i totally agree. but blaming a singular person is what keeps us from focusing on the problem."

Complain to Pelosi,

she was Queen of the guidelines.

And, no. There is an SBA loan program for employers with >500 employees.

Business will receive the loans as long as they keep employees on the payroll.

It has nothing to do with the scale of their business.
It has to do with the amount of employees they have.
I'm complaining to our collective gov for refusing to ay nice with each other. One-sided blame is bullshit.

Again: oversight! Why are these business' getting such HUGE amounts, while way too many genuinely small business' not getting ANYTHING?

In order to keep employees on the payroll rather than lay them off without NOTHING.

Next: Email Pelosi and tell her to get her @ss back to DC so she can get busy writing phase 4 instead of wasting the taxpayers money.

The US is in crisis and Pelosi sits at her home in SanFran showing off her icecream.
if the money was for small businesses, then i have a problem with big corps coming in to take it. a family thai restaurant that just opened up near me. i loved it. tried to go before opening and met the owners. very nice couple. they put everything they had into it and a week or so after opening all i can say is i'm glad i went there once; it likely won't be there when this is done. first few months of a new business is critical and these people, like many others, were cut off at the knees. even a "loan" is debt they didn't figure into opening.

it sucks. i get that big companies need to keep feeding people too. but then i just ask why we're all hiding out from life as if it's going to hurt it. word up, it is. no one is getting out alive and for some of us our exit will totally suck. that is a factor we simply cannot change. while i agree we can act smart, i don't see us doing that now.

i see us acting in media driven panic and people in total fear to simply breathe.

The 'issue', I guess, is that our politicians didn't realize how many biz's small or large would need loans.

Email Pelosi and tell her to get her butt on a jet back to DC in order to vote on the most recent bill that will fund the SBA.

"In response to the outcry over the chain's acceptance of PPP funding, CEO Barry McGowan defended the decision to accept the loans, telling the Wall Street Journal, "The scale of our business doesn't matter."

if the scale of their business doesn't matter, how did they qualify for "small business loans"?

again i get that they have to keep their employees going as well. there simply is NO GOOD ANSWER here when you shut down life as we know it to go hide at home and hope you don't get sick. but if the intention of this $$$ was for truly businesses less than 500 people, then no these companies should have not been able to tap into those funds. should they be helped? sure. if we have ink for the money machines what the hell.

but they should not have been able to loophole into funds geared to save small business.

and it's not just pelosi. she's a bitch from hell, i totally agree. but blaming a singular person is what keeps us from focusing on the problem."

Complain to Pelosi,

Trump says he won’t comply with key transparency measures in the coronavirus stimulus bill
The administration says it won’t provide documentation for audits into $500 billion in corporate bailout funds.

True, large business that don't qualify under the bizarre and loose definition of "small business" in the bill likely have access to other bailouts.

Fossil fuels have friends and heavy duty lobbyists.

Alternative energy gets screwed.

Complain to Pelosi,

Trump says he won’t comply with key transparency measures in the coronavirus stimulus bill
The administration says it won’t provide documentation for audits into $500 billion in corporate bailout funds.

True, large business that don't qualify under the bizarre and loose definition of "small business" in the bill likely have access to other bailouts.

Fossil fuels have friends and heavy duty lobbyists.

Alternative energy gets screwed.
Vox is one of those sites that will write emotionally to slant their point. This article demonizes the oil industry.

Not the job of news. 100% the job of an agenda.

None of the 22 Small Businesses that applied for the SBA loan / grant in our Local Small Business Referral Group got a penny from the Banks or SBA!!! This is a Big Government / Big Business Scam to Screw Small Business.

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed.

Looks like the negative trump news is pretty allowed.

Would you say the news is fairly balanced positive vs negative/critical?
I think it is a mistake to insist that it should be. Can you guess why?
did i say that i insisted it should be?

now - what point was i addressing? let me ensure this is clear - i was addressing

"So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed"

certainly it is alive and well in our media isn't it? so is it a valid argument to someone to say it's "not allowed"?

isn't saying that drama for the sake of drama when obviously not only is it allowed but alive and well at a 93% rate?
Let me point out that you are taking seriously a snarky reply on my part to an equally snarky post...and taking it out of that context.

NPR is a solid news agency and hardly what that poster described. Cronyism is and should be a concern.
oh i'm being snarky back really.

but lets look at critical of someone vs. negative in the same light as we looked at "evil" vs. "corrupt". is a 93% negative rate being honestly critical, or just negative cause you hate the guy?

you can't be negative 24x7 and hide that anger behind "just being critical". not to me anyway.
Ok. Here is my view on news coverage.

You can’t go by percentages. News reports on what is going on, and everyone has a bias. Instead of looking at percentages look at each article individually.

Is it overly reliant on unnamed sources!
Does it us inflammatory “red flag” language?
Does it draw conclusions for you or let you draw your own conclusions?
Does it have depth, an attempt to getting suitable coverage of all competing sides of an issue?
Does it rely on speculation, unsourced rumor and opinion?
Is it well sourced, corroborated on multiple fronts?

NPR is a partisan organization, on the public dime, pretending it gives news rather than political spin.

None of the above have any bearing. Just made up fake tests.

Yellow journalism is still with us you gaslighting and gaslighted fool.

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

Looks like the negative trump news is pretty allowed.

Would you say the news is fairly balanced positive vs negative/critical?
I think it is a mistake to insist that it should be. Can you guess why?
did i say that i insisted it should be?

now - what point was i addressing? let me ensure this is clear - i was addressing

"So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed"

certainly it is alive and well in our media isn't it? so is it a valid argument to someone to say it's "not allowed"?

isn't saying that drama for the sake of drama when obviously not only is it allowed but alive and well at a 93% rate?
Let me point out that you are taking seriously a snarky reply on my part to an equally snarky post...and taking it out of that context.

NPR is a solid news agency and hardly what that poster described. Cronyism is and should be a concern.

How do you confuse snark with truth ?

Now that was snark...in defense of elites as always.

Compare these two headlines, one taken from an article in the WSJ, and tell me which one is false. Which one is true?
Coyote you are a propagandist. Nothing more.

Millions of credit card customers can’t pay their bills this month”

“Millions of credit card customers pay their bills on time this month”

I said point SPECIFICALLY to the corruption or SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Oh that could burn up a lotta ascii Gramps

first off, i've been a sm biz for decades

the last gub'mit program i fell into was shovel ready, absolute hands down most corrupt deal ever, while all the local pols patted themselves on the back for it

now it's CARES, PPP, etc

well i've done my homework with them as well, most of it is the very same feel good, less filling bureaucracy meant to make some official look good, as well as in the media

the devil be in the details Gramps, but i'm here to tell you they're little to no hope, change, or making anything but themselves great

~S~

Forum List

Back