Company With Ties To Trump Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed.

Looks like the negative trump news is pretty allowed.

Would you say the news is fairly balanced positive vs negative/critical?
I think it is a mistake to insist that it should be. Can you guess why?
did i say that i insisted it should be?

now - what point was i addressing? let me ensure this is clear - i was addressing

"So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed"

certainly it is alive and well in our media isn't it? so is it a valid argument to someone to say it's "not allowed"?

isn't saying that drama for the sake of drama when obviously not only is it allowed but alive and well at a 93% rate?

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

Stop your propaganda. You are quoting a liberal group's attacks on Trump as if (1) they arent partisan and (2) arent competing for handouts with other corporations.
What liberal group?

Coyote what are these ties to Trump?

It's in the article referenced in the OP.
The company is going to use the funds to keep 445 employees on the payroll instead of having to lay them off. Why do you want 445 people to lose their jobs over your irrational Trump hatred simply because a guy who worked their years ago is now an Ambassador?

Seems petty and vindictive.
Is it petty and vindictive to want genuine small business to be helped when they clearly aren’t? Why did this handful of “small business” Get such huge amounts?

now - what point was i addressing? let me ensure this is clear - i was addressing

certainly it is alive and well in our media isn't it? so is it a valid argument to someone to say it's "not allowed"?

isn't saying that drama for the sake of drama when obviously not only is it allowed but alive and well at a 93% rate?
Let me point out that you are taking seriously a snarky reply on my part to an equally snarky post...and taking it out of that context.

NPR is a solid news agency and hardly what that poster described. Cronyism is and should be a concern.

Let me point out that you are taking seriously a snarky reply on my part to an equally snarky post...and taking it out of that context.

NPR is a solid news agency and hardly what that poster described. Cronyism is and should be a concern.
oh i'm being snarky back really.

but lets look at critical of someone vs. negative in the same light as we looked at "evil" vs. "corrupt". is a 93% negative rate being honestly critical, or just negative cause you hate the guy?

you can't be negative 24x7 and hide that anger behind "just being critical". not to me anyway.

i think many people agree on what should be a concern.

we just like to be concerned when it happens to people we don't like and not as much when people we like do it. this is simply human nature. being aware of it can help us get around it; unless you like it and run with it cause that's just who that person happens to be.

but lets look at critical of someone vs. negative in the same light as we looked at "evil" vs. "corrupt". is a 93% negative rate being honestly critical, or just negative cause you hate the guy?

you can't be negative 24x7 and hide that anger behind "just being critical". not to me anyway.
Ok. Here is my view on news coverage.

You can’t go by percentages. News reports on what is going on, and everyone has a bias. Instead of looking at percentages look at each article individually.

Is it overly reliant on unnamed sources!
Does it us inflammatory “red flag” language?
Does it draw conclusions for you or let you draw your own conclusions?
Does it have depth, an attempt to getting suitable coverage of all competing sides of an issue?
Does it rely on speculation, unsourced rumor and opinion?
Is it well sourced, corroborated on multiple fronts?

Trump has ties to THOUSANDS of businesses, contractors, suppliers & general contractors because of his decades of being a builder.

If you have something criminal or shady post it otherwise stfu.
But they aren’t all big donors or his state campaign finance chair.

The company is going to use the funds to keep 445 employees on the payroll instead of having to lay them off. Why do you want 445 people to lose their jobs over your irrational Trump hatred simply because a guy who worked their years ago is now an Ambassador?

Is it petty and vindictive to want genuine small business to be helped when they clearly aren’t? Why did this handful of “small business” Get such huge amounts?
You have shown no evidence of businesses connected to Trump getting any kind of special treatment.

you’re Trump Derangement Syndrome has you cheering for 450 people losing their jobs because years ago someone worked there who is now serving as an Ambassador under Trump.

You are a pathetic fuckwit. Seriously, get a grip.

NPR is a left wing outfit.

Ok. Here is my view on news coverage.

You can’t go by percentages. News reports on what is going on, and everyone has a bias. Instead of looking at percentages look at each article individually.

Is it overly reliant on unnamed sources!
Does it us inflammatory “red flag” language?
Does it draw conclusions for you or let you draw your own conclusions?
Does it have depth, an attempt to getting suitable coverage of all competing sides of an issue?
Does it rely on speculation, unsourced rumor and opinion?
Is it well sourced, corroborated on multiple fronts?
And those are what I go by also.

The question is what data did the article use 5hwt said a vast majority was "negative" ; not critical.

Critical is fine. Emo angry crap is just crap.

Trump has ties to THOUSANDS of businesses, contractors, suppliers & general contractors because of his decades of being a builder.

Is he/her a legit business and did they get the money allowed by law to any applying business? Or was there something done underhanded?

We've been through this guilt by association bullshit over and over.

Is he/her a legit business and did they get the money allowed by law to any applying business? Or was there something done underhanded?

NPR told Coyote to say Trump gave special treatment here, so she dutifully ran here to post it. She has zero ability to think for herself.

And he's no longer affiliated with the company, how long will it take to get that through you commie brain?

So. Am I correct in thinking you feel there is no need for i dependent overdpsight here? (no problem, I understand that you think Trump and Republicans need absolutely no oversight)

On the bolded part: bullshit. Biden, Clinton, Obama...you’ve done your bit.

You have shown no evidence of businesses connected to Trump getting any kind of special treatment.

you’re Trump Derangement Syndrome has you cheering for 450 people losing their jobs because years ago someone worked there who is now serving as an Ambassador under Trump.

You are a pathetic fuckwit. Seriously, get a grip.
Hey. I get that you suffer from a serious case of Trump Defense Syndrome. It’s ok. We understand :)

Obama's pastor yes. Anything else, nope

Obama's pastor yes. Anything else, nope
Guilt by association.

Forum List

Back