Company With Ties To Trump Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

Why aren't you complaining about Ruth's Cris?

They have over 6,000 employees, had over $400 million in sales last year, and they secured over $20,000,000 in small business relief.

Kinda' dwarfs the example you're whining about, doesn't it?

As for what smaller businesses haven't received any relief, I read an article this morning which talked about a guy named Damon West who'd been convicted of murder, sentenced to prison in 2009, got paroled in 2015 and turned his life around and became a motivational and key note speaker. He applied for the loan because he could no longer travel.

His criminal record precluded him from getting the loan.

A question on the application form asked whether, within the last 5 years, he had been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or "been placed on any form of parole or probation." Another asked whether anyone who owns at least 20% of the company was incarcerated, under indictment, on probation or parole. If so, they are ineligible.

Criminal records shut small biz owners out of aid program

There could be any number of reasons someone is denied a loan. This is just one example...

He would be eligible to collect unemployment.

Perhaps.

But we're not discussing unemployment...

The dude isn't a business, he's a contract worker.

Are you suggesting that people who are self-employed contract workers are not eligible?

Because I know a lot of self-employed photographers who would disagree with you...

One person shops aren't eligible, but they are eligible for unemployment which wasn't the case in the past.

and that sucks. i know of (3) small town barber shops in a friends hometown that went under because they couldn't work for so long. been there for a decade or more - poof.

We have a lot of small, really small business' here. I dread when things re-open, walking down town and seeing who's still there :(
we do share this fear. i know of several small places to eat that won't be there when this is over regardless of help along the way.

one is a thai place that i tried to go before they opened up and met the owners. they put EVERYTHING into it opening up and it was nice. very nice strip mall, impeccable interior and i got to eat there right after they opened. food was amazing. the family was getting to know me and told me they put it all in this and it has to work. a week later SHUT IT DOWN came in like chef ramsay in hells kitchen.

nicest people in the world i was looking forward to supporting by going there a few times or more a month. they won't be there when this is over.

the cost of being "safe" is astounding and we're not going to fully realize it until we start to see the impact as we TRY to return to normal. normal has changed now.

i am not a fan of hiding out and doing a john travolta bubble boy. the only sure thing about life is we're not getting out alive. how we go, we normally don't get to choose. the other day there were (2) headlines that i noticed.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

then in much smaller print a few stories down - a family of 4 dies in a 1 car accident.

i 100% agree and feel we should take precaution. i think now people are so scared they will wear wet suits to walmart in an effort to be safe.

I honestly don't know what to think, I have enormous for public health officials and the job they must do. But I've never ever encountered something like this.

One positive....you can laugh at some of the quantize outfits people wear to Walmart...:p

another way i look at this -

if we have time to debate how we spend the money and play partisan politics, then it's not a crisis worth shutting down the country for.
I'd throw in there also if they have time to add in extra pork and unneeded spending then the powers that be have either been holding onto a pet project or have a whole list of other items they want to get through that would not necessarily stand on their own.

if you have time to use this situation to a one sided benefit or hold your vote out so others have to do what you want - you're the problem. get the fuck out of dodge cause you are NOT there "for the people".

• I wouldn’t go so far as to say they aren’t for “the people” - they are. Every politician is elected to represent a constituency who votes them in and expects them to do SOMETHING for their interests. When your talking about small constituencies - tiny states, low population areas - areas that lack large resources and associated lobbyists - then you have to utilize larger bills to get your constituents needs met. This doesn’t mean there isn’t pork, or special interest deals - but it’s not all that. It’s the reality of how this system works and you can say it’s bad but, at the same time without it, people would not get equal representation.

• The other aspect is the art of the deal and politics does this like no other. You have one side that creates a large bill. In order to get it out, they need enough votes from their side to overcome any opposition. In order to get the votes, they have to include a raft of special interests and constituency demands. Then, it goes to the other side, which has it’s own list of special interest and constituency demands. Both sides know they can add a lot of fluff which satisfies their caucus and both sides know a lot will get cut in the final wheeling and dealing. If get down to the bargaining table, with a bare bones bill - what are you going to negotiate with? Both sides will have some important things they feel must be in it (and usually related to the essence of the bill) - both sides are likely to disagree with what the other side has. To come to agreement, they need to be able to have things (less important things) to be able to cut, so they can say - see, we gave on this, now you give on that. This probably sounds cynical, but it is the way politics works and it would be foolish to ignore it or agonize over imo.

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.

They have over 6,000 employees, had over $400 million in sales last year, and they secured over $20,000,000 in small business relief.

As for what smaller businesses haven't received any relief, I read an article this morning which talked about a guy named Damon West who'd been convicted of murder, sentenced to prison in 2009, got paroled in 2015 and turned his life around and became a motivational and key note speaker. He applied for the loan because he could no longer travel.

A question on the application form asked whether, within the last 5 years, he had been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or "been placed on any form of parole or probation." Another asked whether anyone who owns at least 20% of the company was incarcerated, under indictment, on probation or parole. If so, they are ineligible.

There could be any number of reasons someone is denied a loan. This is just one example...

Perhaps.

Are you suggesting that people who are self-employed contract workers are not eligible?

Because I know a lot of self-employed photographers who would disagree with you...

One person shops aren't eligible, but they are eligible for unemployment which wasn't the case in the past.

and that sucks. i know of (3) small town barber shops in a friends hometown that went under because they couldn't work for so long. been there for a decade or more - poof.

We have a lot of small, really small business' here. I dread when things re-open, walking down town and seeing who's still there :(
we do share this fear. i know of several small places to eat that won't be there when this is over regardless of help along the way.

one is a thai place that i tried to go before they opened up and met the owners. they put EVERYTHING into it opening up and it was nice. very nice strip mall, impeccable interior and i got to eat there right after they opened. food was amazing. the family was getting to know me and told me they put it all in this and it has to work. a week later SHUT IT DOWN came in like chef ramsay in hells kitchen.

nicest people in the world i was looking forward to supporting by going there a few times or more a month. they won't be there when this is over.

the cost of being "safe" is astounding and we're not going to fully realize it until we start to see the impact as we TRY to return to normal. normal has changed now.

i am not a fan of hiding out and doing a john travolta bubble boy. the only sure thing about life is we're not getting out alive. how we go, we normally don't get to choose. the other day there were (2) headlines that i noticed.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

then in much smaller print a few stories down - a family of 4 dies in a 1 car accident.

i 100% agree and feel we should take precaution. i think now people are so scared they will wear wet suits to walmart in an effort to be safe.

I honestly don't know what to think, I have enormous for public health officials and the job they must do. But I've never ever encountered something like this.

One positive....you can laugh at some of the quantize outfits people wear to Walmart...:p
or the naked fat womam at home depot who hates America.

another way i look at this -

if we have time to debate how we spend the money and play partisan politics, then it's not a crisis worth shutting down the country for.
I'd throw in there also if they have time to add in extra pork and unneeded spending then the powers that be have either been holding onto a pet project or have a whole list of other items they want to get through that would not necessarily stand on their own.

if you have time to use this situation to a one sided benefit or hold your vote out so others have to do what you want - you're the problem. get the fuck out of dodge cause you are NOT there "for the people".

• I wouldn’t go so far as to say they aren’t for “the people” - they are. Every politician is elected to represent a constituency who votes them in and expects them to do SOMETHING for their interests. When your talking about small constituencies - tiny states, low population areas - areas that lack large resources and associated lobbyists - then you have to utilize larger bills to get your constituents needs met. This doesn’t mean there isn’t pork, or special interest deals - but it’s not all that. It’s the reality of how this system works and you can say it’s bad but, at the same time without it, people would not get equal representation.

• The other aspect is the art of the deal and politics does this like no other. You have one side that creates a large bill. In order to get it out, they need enough votes from their side to overcome any opposition. In order to get the votes, they have to include a raft of special interests and constituency demands. Then, it goes to the other side, which has it’s own list of special interest and constituency demands. Both sides know they can add a lot of fluff which satisfies their caucus and both sides know a lot will get cut in the final wheeling and dealing. If get down to the bargaining table, with a bare bones bill - what are you going to negotiate with? Both sides will have some important things they feel must be in it (and usually related to the essence of the bill) - both sides are likely to disagree with what the other side has. To come to agreement, they need to be able to have things (less important things) to be able to cut, so they can say - see, we gave on this, now you give on that. This probably sounds cynical, but it is the way politics works and it would be foolish to ignore it or agonize over imo.
Then what Trump did was business as usual in the world of politics and its foolish to agonize over it?

Perhaps.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

uh what? No. Never mind - TMI!

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

So, a guy worked for a company and resigned from it two years ago to go into the Trump admin.......................and two years later that company applies for a loan to pay it's employees during a pandemic, you claim that is "ties to Trump".

You are a pathetic troll. :iyfyus.jpg:
no - like most people more than likely didn't go deep into the details. IF this is correct then it kinda proves my point. people see headlines and put in their own story. that's why headlines are so poorly written anymore.

Actually...part of he problem HERE is people not reading past the headline but not in the way you think.

My OP's original content portion is duly ignored because - like a matador with a red cape - people are only capable of focusing on "TRUMP" and use that as a deflection to ignore the larger issues despite repeated commentary and other linked articles.

If the article title had been Company With Ties To Biden Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program - how do you think this thread would be going?

The point is - the Dems (and Pelosi) were right. We needed strong independent oversight, stricter language defining a "small business" and greater accountability. The language is weak in that regard. The Republicans (and Trump) said "no". Trump specifically said he did not feel bound by it. So now we are repeating the mistakes of the first stimulus bill under Obama only it's a lot more money.
where was this oversight when obama was giving billions to the world to combat "global warming"?

What bill are you referring to?

If you want to make a MEANINGFUL comparison - compare it to the 2008 stimulus bill - which WAS problematic. Don't you think we should have LEARNED from that mistake and done a better job this time?

i'll be glad to take this deeper and address other points but so far you dance around this simple question.

in the immortal words of breakfast club "IF YOU'D JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION, CLAIRE!!!"

it is my position you're hypocritical and this is my illustration of it. i'm open to why this is different but when you ignore it, it only makes me more curious.

I've been bombarded with posts and questions and I'm only one person arguing my side in this thread. So what specific question do you refer to?

you're pissed cause trump did it and this is todays reason to be pissed at trump. doesn't matter the left did the exact same shit, you'll say FOCUS ON TRUMP and i say FOCUS ON THE ISSUE.

I'm pissed because I supported what the Dems wanted in this bill - and not only is this not happening, Trump has stated that he doesn't feel bound by the restrictions in the bill. WTF? Now you are telling that this should not matter? Or Trump has nothing to do with it? Or we need to go back 8 years and try to find something comparable that Obama did and get righteously pissed about it? This is happening now and we could'v should'v learned from the 2008 stimulus mistakes.

But it seems like we are not allowed to make it about Trump...ever? :dunno:

i don't give a shit about the people doing it. i care whether or not the actions themselves are right or wrong. you put right or wrong with how you like people and to me that is WRONG.

I totally disagree with you. I'm trying to discuss actions here and everyone, including you, is trying to make it all about Trump and claiming he only reason we bring it up is we hate Trump. What kind of playing field does that set for discussion? You are effectively saying if I mention Trump specifically, it's because I hate him, not the policy. When I pointed out the issue of migrant children - I was very specific on policy and you still (unless I missed the post which I will go back and look to see) can't quite condemn it because you think it's comparable to the Obama Administration's policies when it's not. Not at all. There are plenty of things to criticize Obama for (like spying on the media) - but this isn't one of them. This is Trump's policy - created by and defended by his administration. But instead of just saying "hey - this is wrong" (assuming you feel that way) you keep saying "you're unfairly singling out Trump" ....and "but Obama".

as for stopping BUT OBAMA - again - i said trump was being abused by the left and the VERY FIRST THING YOU SAID WAS

BUT OBAMA

yet if i do it to reference an exact specific point, i'm wrong. why can you do it and i can't? and how do you not see this is what you're doing?

Ok. Fair enough. Let's see if we can both refrain from bringing in Obama. :)
ok - where you are wrong about me here -

i don't give a shit about trump in this reference. i am not arguing trump = good or trump = right.

i'm saying you're mad at this because you feel trump got away with no oversight. so to me OVERSIGHT ON OUR SPENDING is the issue.

i agree. we should have it. for what trump did here and for what obama tried to go with the climate bill.

so please stop thinking i am defending trump. he's the topic simply because you hate him and make anything he does = wrong.

and i simply disagree any single person can get everything wrong. unless YOU HATE THEM and are not being fair with your situational analysis.

sorry for the split reply. conference call just started and i have to answer some project questions.
Who could possibly think you defend trump ? What fools lol

Coyote what are these ties to Trump?

It's in the article referenced in the OP.
Oh.....you mean the one guy who worked for the company years ago who now has a lowly position in the Trump admin?

That is your “TIES”?
How does it feel to be so easily duped by the leftist media?

A bit more than that I'm afraid...

He was Trump's top Illinois donor and campaign finance chair for the state.

Perhaps.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

YouTube it. Big naked woman in only black shoes was stomping around home depot saying she hated America. :)

Perhaps.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

YouTube it. Big naked woman in only black shoes was stomping around home depot saying she hated America. :)
no no no I'll never be able to unsee it!

Lets rephrase this. "News organization with ties to the Democrats attacks Trump again while receiving government handouts"

So reporting on Trump in any critical way is...uh...not allowed.

Oh.....you mean the one guy who worked for the company years ago who now has a lowly position in the Trump admin?

That is your “TIES”?
How does it feel to be so easily duped by the leftist media?

A bit more than that I'm afraid...

He was Trump's top Illinois donor and campaign finance chair for the state.
And hasn’t worked for the company for years.

The company is going to use the funds to keep 445 employees on the payroll instead of having to lay them off. Why do you want 445 people to lose their jobs over your irrational Trump hatred simply because a guy who worked their years ago is now an Ambassador?

Seems petty and vindictive.

What was that you said...government paying elites to attack our President should not be allowed? I agree!

Perhaps.

1 DIES FROM COVID19!!!!

no no no I'll never be able to unsee it!
It does burn in...

Looks like the negative trump news is pretty allowed.

Would you say the news is fairly balanced positive vs negative/critical?

Looks like the negative trump news is pretty allowed.

Would you say the news is fairly balanced positive vs negative/critical?
I think it is a mistake to insist that it should be. Can you guess why?

Stop your propaganda. You are quoting a liberal group's attacks on Trump as if (1) they arent partisan and (2) arent competing for handouts with other corporations.

Forum List

Back