Company With Ties To Trump Receives Millions From Small Business Loan Program

This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.
i'd agree we need this type of oversight when handing out money. the issue is - how much and when it is too much and no longer a grant or loan but paying you to do something? i think most agree we need to be helping others. where it falls apart is by how much we should help. unfortunately since this is the government jacking with everyone, they get to pay. only THEY is US.

shake shack was lauded for giving back a $10mil loan. people went nuts. i read the story and saw they only did it *after* securing other funding. but here i'm torn. employment is employment. shake shack employs thousands, self employed, 1. where do you put your focus? this isn't to pick on anyone or say they don't deserve some help - not at all. just saying we have finite resources and not everyone who needs help, unfortunately, is going to get it.

this had to be done quick. i'd only really care *if* it was done TO GIVE his businesses the help and prioritized them over others. but given we've never been through this before, what process do you use to be "fair"? i'm betting pogos testicles there simply isn't a way TO be fair.

now to continue "to be fair" - i'm confident of that bet. its just a general rule to never gamble with your own genitalia.

where i agree with schiff is we need a post mortem. but ONLY IF that is done to learn. in a true "post mortem" there is no blame there is no assignment of responsibility. only where things broke down as a whole and as a whole how to improve and keep it from happening again. here is where i bet slades privates that schiff isn't about to do a true "post mortem" and is all out to attack.

again.

someone should kick him in the nuts.

again. and again. and again. he can put some of pelosis designer ice cream on them when done.
Agreed that an after action review does need to happen.... Each and every detail of the bailouts needs to be over with a fine toothed comb. Preferably by a non partisan entity, but I doubt there is such a thing in the time of President Trump.
It would be interesting to find out why a large part of the pork put into the stimulus was "necessary"
It would be interesting to see if claims of millions going out then went to various democratic campaign contributions.. To me that would be a big no no.
It would be interesting to see which of the companies that received loans really needed them or were they just hedging their collective bets?
Right now, there are so many loan applications filed and going through the process and by all news reports the fund is dry. It'll be interesting to see which small business' survive and which ones don't. I would hope the process to be fair, and the intent may have been for it to be so, but rarely is anything fair when politicians are involved.

Or Republican campaign donations.
Absolutely 100% agree.
Totally, but also not the rumor being floated right now. However, if it comes up, in an AAR setting, and ANY political party received any contributions from any entity that received funds from any of the stimulus packages.... The Fist of an angry God should smash the living shit out of those responsible.
Our money, mine, yours, Iceberg's, Correll's BSfilter's etc etc etc.... That's our money being used and played with and if not going out in the correct manner, then we have the right to call bullshit, which we should do.

Last edited:
This is why we need independent oversight for these vast sums of money going out...100 million in sales and still a "small business"....?

While many small businesses have found it difficult or impossible to get one of the Small Business Administration's Paycheck Protection Program loans, a company owned by a prominent Chicago family with close ties to the Trump administration was able to get a $5.5 million loan under the program, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday.

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz, who was appointed in 2018, was then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign finance chair for Illinois in the 2016 presidential campaign. According to filings with the SEC, Gidwitz's family owns the majority of Continental Materials Corp., which secured the 1% interest loan.

Continental Materials makes heating and cooling equipment and construction products. While it had more than $100 million in sales last year, it qualified for the loan because it meets the Small Business Administration's industry-specific "small business" size standards, according to company chief financial officer Paul Ainsworth.

Still, the company's loan is much larger than the typical PPP loan, according to a summary releasedby the Small Business Administration last week. The average loan was just over $200,000, and fewer than 1% of the loans under the program were greater than $5 million.

While the company may qualify as a small business under the PPP program, there are many much smaller businesses that have been unsuccessful in obtaining or even applying for the loans from their banks.
i'd agree we need this type of oversight when handing out money. the issue is - how much and when it is too much and no longer a grant or loan but paying you to do something? i think most agree we need to be helping others. where it falls apart is by how much we should help. unfortunately since this is the government jacking with everyone, they get to pay. only THEY is US.

shake shack was lauded for giving back a $10mil loan. people went nuts. i read the story and saw they only did it *after* securing other funding. but here i'm torn. employment is employment. shake shack employs thousands, self employed, 1. where do you put your focus? this isn't to pick on anyone or say they don't deserve some help - not at all. just saying we have finite resources and not everyone who needs help, unfortunately, is going to get it.

this had to be done quick. i'd only really care *if* it was done TO GIVE his businesses the help and prioritized them over others. but given we've never been through this before, what process do you use to be "fair"? i'm betting pogos testicles there simply isn't a way TO be fair.

now to continue "to be fair" - i'm confident of that bet. its just a general rule to never gamble with your own genitalia.

where i agree with schiff is we need a post mortem. but ONLY IF that is done to learn. in a true "post mortem" there is no blame there is no assignment of responsibility. only where things broke down as a whole and as a whole how to improve and keep it from happening again. here is where i bet slades privates that schiff isn't about to do a true "post mortem" and is all out to attack.

again.

again. and again. and again. he can put some of pelosis designer ice cream on them when done.
Agreed that an after action review does need to happen.... Each and every detail of the bailouts needs to be over with a fine toothed comb. Preferably by a non partisan entity, but I doubt there is such a thing in the time of President Trump.
It would be interesting to find out why a large part of the pork put into the stimulus was "necessary"
It would be interesting to see if claims of millions going out then went to various democratic campaign contributions.. To me that would be a big no no.
It would be interesting to see which of the companies that received loans really needed them or were they just hedging their collective bets?
Right now, there are so many loan applications filed and going through the process and by all news reports the fund is dry. It'll be interesting to see which small business' survive and which ones don't. I would hope the process to be fair, and the intent may have been for it to be so, but rarely is anything fair when politicians are involved.

Or Republican campaign donations.
Absolutely 100% agree.
Totally, bit also not the rumor being floated right now. However, if it comes up, in an AAR setting, and ANY political party received any contributions from any entity that received funds from any of the stimulus packages.... The Fist of an angry God should smash the living shit out of those responsible.u
Our money, mine, yours, Iceberg's, Correll's BSfilter's etc etc etc.... That's our money being used and played with and if not going out in the correct manner, then we have the right to call bullshit, which we should do.
100 man. 100.

i don't care which side is playing games. if "people in power" are taking advantage of this for their personal gain - vote them the fuck off the congressional island and find some charge to put on them so we can investigate it.

had enough of this crap from either side. everyone needs to get the fuck out of the pool and lets us sort all this crap out w/o all the bullshit partisan hatfield n mccoy infighting.

So, a guy worked for a company and resigned from it two years ago to go into the Trump admin.......................and two years later that company applies for a loan to pay it's employees during a pandemic, you claim that is "ties to Trump".

You are a pathetic troll. :iyfyus.jpg:

So, a guy worked for a company and resigned from it two years ago to go into the Trump admin.......................and two years later that company applies for a loan to pay it's employees during a pandemic, you claim that is "ties to Trump".

no - like most people more than likely didn't go deep into the details. IF this is correct then it kinda proves my point. people see headlines and put in their own story. that's why headlines are so poorly written anymore.

Trump has ties to huge numbers of people in business. ANd you found one that got money from a program designed to hand out money?

Shocking.

This isn't just some random company that happened to have ties to Trump. It is his Campaign Finance Chair for Illinois, and the man he named as ambassador to Belgium, and the company did more than 100 million dollars of business last year who got 5.5 million by claiming to be a small business. Everything and everybody associated with that obese orange fool turns out to be a scam taking money from people who really deserve it.
A "small business" is defined to be one with under 500 employees. 100 million in revenues wouldn't be unusual for such a company.

Should be.
Based on what, dumbass?

no - like most people more than likely didn't go deep into the details. IF this is correct then it kinda proves my point. people see headlines and put in their own story. that's why headlines are so poorly written anymore.
Coyote never reads past the headlines. That takes rational thought.

That's why his/her threads always blow up in his/her face.

Her.

Her.
Don't really care. The only reason I did that was because on another board "Coyote" was a gender confused who knows what it was. Not sure if this is the same one, so I didn't want to offend He/She/It.

Gee, nobody saw that coming when the blob fired the watch dog

So you are bitching at her for not paying attention yet you don't know her gender.

That's some funny shit right there.

Trump has ties to huge numbers of people in business. ANd you found one that got money from a program designed to hand out money?

Shocking.

Key Terms for those suffering TDS (Trump Defense System): Independent Oversight.

I have to agree and I know a owner of Staffing Agency that supplies Physical Therapists for Clinics and he needed the loan and could not get one while bigger corporations were able to take advantage of the loans...

Something should have been at the start...

honest insight form that group? other than coyote you just named off a lot of my ignore list. they don't talk issues, they tell you you're wrong. not saying others don't do that but i've likely got those people "ignored" also.

we certainly need honest insight but you won't find honesty from someone who's never been wrong.

With the exception of two people on that list, I agree with Missourian.

Shocking.

This isn't just some random company that happened to have ties to Trump. It is his Campaign Finance Chair for Illinois, and the man he named as ambassador to Belgium, and the company did more than 100 million dollars of business last year who got 5.5 million by claiming to be a small business. Everything and everybody associated with that obese orange fool turns out to be a scam taking money from people who really deserve it.
A "small business" is defined to be one with under 500 employees. 100 million in revenues wouldn't be unusual for such a company.

Should be.
Based on what, dumbass?

100 million in revenues is not a SMALL BUSINESS

honest insight form that group? other than coyote you just named off a lot of my ignore list. they don't talk issues, they tell you you're wrong. not saying others don't do that but i've likely got those people "ignored" also.

we certainly need honest insight but you won't find honesty from someone who's never been wrong.

With the exception of two people on that list, I agree with Missourian.
well there have been times *almost* everyone on that list has been "reasonable". *at times*. but i think we all tend to regress back into our comfort zone vs. challenge our own emotions and causes behind them.

i don't disagree these people *think* they are being honest. but, so does the other side. yet we don't work to find out why we disagree, we beat the shit out of each other for disagreeing and push it to an extreme nature.

it's like being in a tornado and most people just go along with how they're being shoved around and shove back. but when some go "why are we doing this" those shoving just keep shoving vs. stop and go "yea, why"?

Shocking.

Should be.
Based on what, dumbass?

500 employees is considered small business by the SBA, dingbat.

Shocking.

Should be.
Based on what, dumbass?

Yes, I know that ass hole. 100 million in receipts is considered a small business too. We both know that is not a small business, no matter what the SBA says. A small business is small.

Shocking.

Should be.
Based on what, dumbass?

Yes, I know that ass hole. 100 million in receipts is considered a small business too. We both know that is not a small business, no matter what the SBA says. A small business is small.
Your opinion is irrelevant.

this had to be done quick. i'd only really care *if* it was done TO GIVE his businesses the help and prioritized them over others. or did trumps businesses also benefit from this (as thousands of other businesses did as well) and the left wants to bitch about it? they bitch about everything it seems. now, given we've never been through this before, what process do you use to be "fair"? i'm betting pogos testicles there simply isn't a way TO be fair. so did he?

again.

So...you are already assigning a blame to Pelosi and Schiff? You are pinpointing them aren't you? Do you think the Republicans are capable of an honest post mortem these days?

A rushed bill isn't really a good excuse because some of this was addressed in what Pelosi wanted added to the bill.
Actually I was gambling with other people's testicle as to what these 2 will do. They are free to prove me wrong.

I am not assigning blame to none. I am saying I believe schiff movies are NOT to fix processes but to blame Trump.

You disagree? Great tell me why. If I'm not being clear, ask for clarification.

As for kicking schiff in the nuts, that's general satisfaction to me. No need to blame him for anything. I'll be glad to refrain from saying things like this as soon as you call out the Trump rhetoric and violent statements towards him.

I'm getting confused about who's testicle is where. You want me to call out Trump's rhetoric and violent statements towards Schiff? That's too easy:

“Shifty Adam Schiff is a CORRUPT POLITICIAN, and probably a very sick man. He has not paid the price, yet, for what he has done to our Country!” President Donald Trump tweeted on Sunday. Where is the oversight?

In the meantime, let me ask this - specifically - why did Trump undercut the oversight provisions in the stimulus bill?

Democrats agreed to nearly $500 billion in assistance for large corporations, largely on the condition that the bill would include several watchdogs to oversee the fund. Those include a special inspector general nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate, a panel of inspectors general from government agencies, and a committee whose members will be picked by congressional leaders.

But since signing the bill late last month, Trump has pushed back against oversight of his administration’s management of the bailout amid a broader fight against the independent government watchdogs.

He announced in a signing statement that he considered the parts of the bill requiring the special inspector general to issue certain reports to Congress to be unconstitutional and would not allow them without “presidential supervision.” This week, he demoted Pentagon Inspector General Glenn Fine, effectively disqualifying him from chairing the panel of watchdogs overseeing the fund. And he’s nominated one of his own lawyers, associate White House counsel Brian Miller, to serve as the special inspector general.
Not
Even
Close.

I'm saying just because there is a tie to Trump doesn't mean it's bad or nefarious. You seem to be saying there's a tie so Trump is evil.

I'm simply not willing to make that leap with you. Not against Trump. Pelosi, schiff, or anyone.

It's a fucked up in the head thing to do and simply an emotional shortcut to your desired outcome.

I don't tend to use language like "evil" in describing people, so let's not go there.

Let me put it this way: the solution Congress wanted (and it was a bipartisan one) would have led to reasonable oversight (lessons learned from the first stimulus).

I posted an article from a reputable source, showing that Trump is not going to go along with it and in several key specific ways (appointing his own lawyer for God's sakes?). No senate confirmation? Seriously? His party owns the Senate and he won't even do that?

So. Let's hear of a logical good reason for these actions - one that serves the interests of the people (taxpayers) who's money is being spent.
So someone being personally corrupt is "not" evil? Do you know him on a personal level?

The problem with trying to have a policy or political conversation with many is that the discussion EVERY SINGLE TIME turns into XYZ SUCKS and derails.

That's why I like to know going in the goals of the people I'm talking to. Talk policy and what we can do, or bitch at our politicians and blame them expressing our hate and disdain time and time again as if people need to be reminded.

Totally different types of convos and I'm long since tired of every discussion ending in hate for each other.

We all need to grow the fuck up.

People are fallible. They are human. They can be bad, immoral, weak, whatever. But when you start assigning adjectives like evil, you are engaging in red flag language that says full stop - what is the speakers agenda here? Evil is reserved for a very few who have well earned it (Hitler comes to mind).

When people start assigning "evil" to folks like Trump...or Clinton...or Obama...well, what does that make someone like Hitler? Or, the many lesser known people who engage in the same?
so again i ask you - is being "personally corrupt" an "evil" trait? or are there "good personally corrupt" people out there?

simple question.
It isn’t a good vs evil dichotomy. I don’t know how to say it differently. If someone is personally corrupt they can be bad, weak, immoral. But they might also have redeeming qualities. Assigning a blanket value of evil puts them in the same category as the Hitler’s of this world. Most people are a mixture. Who would you label as evil?

Forum List

Back