Comparable With "The Godfather"

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
I just watched 2007 film "Eastern Promises"....watched it twice, in fact. That is one of the comparisons with 'The Godfather,' as there are things that require more than one viewing to catch.
1637419389206.png

This is one of those films difficult to 'review' without giving away spoilers.....but just as is the case with the classic Godfather, the writing is magnificent, direction and pacing may be better than the comparison, and acting of both
Armin Mueller-Stahl
German film actor

1637419590491.png

...and

Viggo Mortensen
1637419699076.png

are performances worth your 101 minutes of running time.

(I always loved the song 'Dark Eyes,' in Russian.)

Catch this film if you can.

I just watched 2007 film "Eastern Promises"....watched it twice, in fact. That is one of the comparisons with 'The Godfather,' as there are things that require more than one viewing to catch.
View attachment 566444

This is one of those films difficult to 'review' without giving away spoilers.....but just as is the case with the classic Godfather, the writing is magnificent, direction and pacing may be better than the comparison, and acting of both
Armin Mueller-Stahl
German film actor

View attachment 566447

...and

Viggo Mortensen
View attachment 566448

are performances worth your 101 minutes of running time.

(I always loved the song 'Dark Eyes,' in Russian.)

Catch this film if you can.
I liked that movie, but it isnt anywhere in the same league as the Godfather. At least not 1 and 2.

I liked that movie, but it isnt anywhere in the same league as the Godfather. At least not 1 and 2.

I saw where the plans for a sequel fell through. Too bad....I could see it as a similar franchise as the Godfather.

I saw where the plans for a sequel fell through. Too bad....I could see it as a similar franchise as the Godfather.
I would love to see a sequel of that movie. I dont think he got everyone in the end. There are always more mobster family members looking for revenge.

Vigo was awesome in that by the way. He almost had me convinced that it was a case of mistaken identity!!!

I would love to see a sequel of that movie. I dont think he got everyone in the end. There are always more mobster family members looking for revenge.

Vigo was awesome in that by the way. He almost had me convinced that it was a case of mistaken identity!!!

I had never heard of that group of top criminals the vory v zakone, or "thieves in law.

• "Trivia
    One day after shooting, Viggo Mortensen went to a pub without washing off his tattoos or even changing out of his costume. He overheard a couple speaking Russian and decided to eavesdrop, to see if he could understand what they were saying. He caught a few words before they stopped mid-sentence. When he turned around, he saw they were staring at the tattoos on his hands; they were scared, as they assumed he was a real member of Vory v Zakone." Eastern Promises (2007) - IMDb

I had never heard of that group of top criminals the vory v zakone, or "thieves in law.

• "Trivia
    One day after shooting, Viggo Mortensen went to a pub without washing off his tattoos or even changing out of his costume. He overheard a couple speaking Russian and decided to eavesdrop, to see if he could understand what they were saying. He caught a few words before they stopped mid-sentence. When he turned around, he saw they were staring at the tattoos on his hands; they were scared, as they assumed he was a real member of Vory v Zakone." Eastern Promises (2007) - IMDb
I think i heard that story before. What a great story! :laugh:

Solid movie... definitely worth seeing. Glad you posted this... I think I will watch it again!
As good as Godfather... well... no... but up there.

Forum List

Back