Confederate flag supporters rise up to defend embattled symbol

No choice Tennessee law forces gov to honor Confederate general KKK leader Fox News

When it came time to honor a Confederate general and onetime Ku Klux Klan leader by proclaiming Monday “Nathan Bedford Forrest Day,” Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam didn't exactly volunteer.

Haslam is currently trying to get the rebel army leader's bust out of the state Capitol building in Nashville amid a widening national controversy over Confederate symbols and memorabilia. But Tennessee Code 15-2-101 designates July 13 as “Nathan Bedford Forrest Day,” just one of several Confederate observances, including Jan. 19, which is “Robert E. Lee Day” and June 3, known in Tennessee as “Confederate Decoration Day.”

“Each year it is the duty of the governor of this state to proclaim the following as days of special observance,” the first section of the code states.

The Republican governor said last month Tennessee has other, more worthy sons and daughters to laud.

“Forrest would not be my choice of one of the Tennesseans that we honor,” he said, according to The Tennessean.

Haslam signed the proclamation on June 2, The Tennessean reported, 15 days before Dylann Roof allegedly walked into the Emanuel AME Church in South Carolina and shot dead nine parishioners in a racially-motivated killing, touching off a national debate on the appropriateness of displaying Confederate symbols and remembrances after photos surfaced showing Roof holding the rebel flag.

"Confederate flag supporters rise up to defend embattled symbol"

This is ridiculous nonsense.

The flag is not 'embattled,' any American anywhere is at liberty to display the flag in any venue he so desires with complete impunity from government sanctions; and that states and local jurisdictions have seen fit to remove the flag in an official capacity is wise, appropriate, and warranted, as the flag is not representative of all the people.

This is yet another inane non-issue contrived by the right.

You might also be interested to know - as it regards the Creoles of Louisiana (all of them, not just that single militia group)

They were "Colored Creoles," - many were upwardly mobile, wealthy and a disproportional number owned slaves.

The distinction is often blurred when referring to them as "Black."

For many of these "Colored Creoles"

1) most looked quite fair skinned by appearance.

2) many were of European ancestry, not considered "African" or "Black" - and were given special status for a time.

Going back, earlier - before the war -- take note of this:

"By 1843, the Colored group was no longer named as legislative special case, but they still considered themselves exempt, and the courts still usually upheld their special status. Numerous court cases held that the Colored Creoles were not considered Black regarding freedom papers, curfews, and the like. But by the 1850s, the courts had begun to treat all but the wealthiest and most powerful Colored Creoles as free Blacks."

The One-Drop Rule Arrives in the Postbellum Lower South | | The Color Line and the One-Drop Rule

In fact it was considered an insult to call a Colored Creole a "Free Black."

Legally, They were "Colored" a serious distinction made by numerous courts.

A Free Black there was not allowed a trial by Jury BUT! “Free persons of Colour" *were* entitled to a trial by jury.

"Justice Porter went on to explain that, since the [Colored Creole] was not Black..."

Legal History of the Color Line: The Rise and Triumph of the One-drop Rule

It's a rather fascinating nugget regarding the caste system back then which some probably didn't care to hear, (or maybe even bother to read) -- but I enjoy sharing these little bits of history. It's how I roll. :)

How many knew there three legal color lines back then? White, Colored, and Black.

More evidence that the South was comprised of DEMOCRATS.

They were making LAWS which sought to find a distinction between BLACKS and BLACKS.

"What the hell did you call me? BLACK?" Anyone can plainly see sir, that I am NOT BLACK... but a luxurious NEGRO!"

Yes sirree... They sure are "rising up" to defend that "innocuous" and "misunderstood" symbol... And such reputable defenders at that...

KKK says rally at Statehouse will go on without white robes or s - WCIV-TV ABC News 4 - Charleston News Sports Weather

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

You want to fly that or any other flag on your car or truck or house or at your business? More power to you, I will even defend your right to do so. It has no, and had no business on the statehouse grounds or any other government building or property.

Uuummmm, read the title of the book, it doesn't say they were allowed to fight though some did on their own accord.
African American Involvement in the Confederate Army Ford s Theatre

African Americans In The Civil War

Look at it without "passion", it's just history.
I'm quite familiar with the Louisiana Guards.

From your link:
"The First Louisiana Native Guard consisted of free blacks, but even though Louisiana recognized the group as part of the state militia, the men served under white commanders, were never issued livery or weapons, and never engaged in battle. Eventually they were disbanded by state law; some even switched sides and went to fight for the Union."

They were never soldiers, and they were not allowed in the CSA army.

So, wrong on that count. And the link in the poster refers to the History.com story about the Confederacy approves black soldiers.

That would be one month before the war ended.

Your second link disproves nothing I said.
Drop the emotion and attitude, you didn't read what I said, did you. Go back and read it. Apology accepted.
I did read it.

Did you?

"It wasn’t until March of 1865 that the Confederate army allowed blacks as soldiers—a decision that was made too late to help the Confederate cause."

African American Involvement in the Confederate Army Ford s Theatre

The line on that stupid jpeg:

"The confederate army was the first to allow black men to join their army as "Free men."

is hogwash.
You missed my opening statement. To blind with rage? Yes, freed blacks were also impressed in the army, not as soldiers but as laborers, cooks etc. Some actually took up arms on rare occasions when the "need" arose. There are scores of documents showing this. Doesn't mean the southern revisionist you were addressing wasn't trying to claim something else.
Hell girl, other than those rare occurrences I completely agree with you. :dunno:
But you're not getting it.

Freed blacks were not "impressed" into the army. Slaves? As laborers, cooks, etc. Sure.

Even your link says: "At the midpoint of the war in 1863, when more Confederate soldiers were needed, state militias of freed black men were offered to the Confederate war office but refused."

That there were a few random ones here or there, sure - but they were never officially allowed to serve in the army.
I have to find the documents I referred to concerning freed blacks, hopefully I still have them in my (boxed) library and they weren't purged when I pared down four years ago. They're in book form and in the Library of Congress, haven't searched them in at least a decade concerning Civil War related items.

You might also be interested to know - as it regards the Creoles of Louisiana (all of them, not just that single militia group)

They were "Colored Creoles," - many were upwardly mobile, wealthy and a disproportional number owned slaves.

The distinction is often blurred when referring to them as "Black."

For many of these "Colored Creoles"

1) most looked quite fair skinned by appearance.

2) many were of European ancestry, not considered "African" or "Black" - and were given special status for a time.

Going back, earlier - before the war -- take note of this:

"By 1843, the Colored group was no longer named as legislative special case, but they still considered themselves exempt, and the courts still usually upheld their special status. Numerous court cases held that the Colored Creoles were not considered Black regarding freedom papers, curfews, and the like. But by the 1850s, the courts had begun to treat all but the wealthiest and most powerful Colored Creoles as free Blacks."

The One-Drop Rule Arrives in the Postbellum Lower South | | The Color Line and the One-Drop Rule

In fact it was considered an insult to call a Colored Creole a "Free Black."

Legally, They were "Colored" a serious distinction made by numerous courts.

A Free Black there was not allowed a trial by Jury BUT! “Free persons of Colour" *were* entitled to a trial by jury.

"Justice Porter went on to explain that, since the [Colored Creole] was not Black..."

Legal History of the Color Line: The Rise and Triumph of the One-drop Rule

It's a rather fascinating nugget regarding the caste system back then which some probably didn't care to hear, (or maybe even bother to read) -- but I enjoy sharing these little bits of history. It's how I roll. :)

How many knew there three legal color lines back then? White, Colored, and Black.

More evidence that the South was comprised of DEMOCRATS.

They were making LAWS which sought to find a distinction between BLACKS and BLACKS.

"What the hell did you call me? BLACK?" Anyone can plainly see sir, that I am NOT BLACK... but a luxurious NEGRO!"
So basically you're an idiot. Got it. :thup:

What could be more awesome than Republicans rallying to support a symbol of racial hatred? Picking Trump for GOP candidate.

What could be more awesome than Republicans rallying to support a symbol of racial hatred? Picking Trump for GOP candidate.
Trump isn't a symbol of racial hatred... He's standing up against criminal behavior by illegals, and illegals taking American jobs......

And the Libs HATE that, so what does that tell you about the Libs????

Trump isn't a symbol of racial hatred... He's standing up against criminal behavior by illegals, and illegals taking American jobs......

And the Libs HATE that, so what does that tell you about the Libs????
Well, actually he is. He is a bigot's bigot, judging people based on their ethnic makeup.

I would love to see him start a third party and stop the the pretense that social cons isn't an oxymoron.

Reuters ^ | Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:20pm EDT | Barbara Liston
An eight-mile convoy of pickups, motorcycles and cars wound through a central Florida town on Sunday in a show of support for the Confederate flag, as a backlash against its banishment from public landmarks across the South picks up steam. Horns blared and hundreds of the rebel flags fluttered as more than 1,500 vehicles and some 4,500 people turned out for the "Florida Southern Pride Ride" in Ocala, according to police estimates. Vehicles from states across the South and as far away as California participated. "That flag has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people," said...

Trailer dwellers of the souf' unite!!

Guano

You should be excited... Between the convoy and the KKK rally, the Democrats finally got a good crowd up!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back