Conservatism is dead

"And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of “conservatism.” - Barry Goldwater.

"Mr. Goldwater's political philosophy also included a strong military posture, a deep mistrust of the Soviet Union and a conviction that increasing the scope of government programs was not the way to solve social problems.

In all, he served 30 years in the Senate, but he was out of office for four years after losing his bid for the presidency, and he was in a political limbo for almost 10 years after that defeat. He reemerged during the Watergate crisis of the early 1970s.

Then, the bluntness and candor that had so often damaged Mr. Goldwater's presidential campaign a decade earlier and his outspoken and harsh criticism of Nixon's failure to deal with the growing Watergate scandal were among the vital ingredients of his political renaissance.

The president, he contended, had shown "a tendency to dibble and dabble and argue on very nebulous grounds like executive privilege and confidentiality when all the American people wanted to know was the truth."
Washingtonpost.com: Barry Goldwater Dead at 89

"He championed a brand of rugged individualism, and he never hesitated to speak his mind. He could be both colorful and profane, and he often said things he later wished he hadn't. "Barry, you speak too quick and too loud," former president Dwight D. Eisenhower once told him, and Mr. Goldwater acknowledged that Eisenhower was right.

"There are words of mine floating around in the air that I would like to reach up and eat," he once said.

Asked by journalist Stewart Alsop in 1963 what it might feel like to wake up as president some day, Mr. Goldwater remarked, "Frankly, it scares the hell out of me."
Washingtonpost.com: Barry Goldwater Dead at 89

Today I put in a resume for a very large law firm and they said I didn't have to identify my gender or race, but when I tried to do that, they changed their mind and said I did have to identify my race and gender. Since I'm a white male, I'm pretty sure that's going to be a strike against me.

Forum List

Back