Consultant vs. Independent Contractor?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What are the positives and negatives of each?

Which is "easier" to start up with less liability?

Not much to go on there. How are they different? Both sound self employed, the contractor sure is. You'd likely need a license for the later, you need to check your state laws.

It isn't necessarily something you 'start up' unless you're talking about a legal tax status.

A lot of employers get around tax regs by hiring "temporary" labor -- by the week, or the month, whatever, without defining them as "employees". They pay that temp labor a lump sum, with no tax withholding -- which might be a nice chunk of change in the short term, but at the end of the year that labor gets a 1099 form (instead of a W-2) which becomes a major headache unless you really like filling out obtuse tax forms, and where you literally have to tax yourself.

Actually you're expected to send the IRS "estimated" tax four times a year if you do this regularly, although that, in typical IRS "wisdom", expects you to actually predict the future in order to estimate it.

I worked this way for about 30 years. When I did I would use the term "independent contractor", "consultant" or "freelancer" interchangeably, though I never actually founded my own company. It has its benefits and drawbacks. Biggest benefit is, by definition your job has a finite end, which not only frees you from the insufferable chains of Monday-Friday 9-to-5 Routine Hell, but gives you a finite end to the task with a sense of accomplishment at the finish line. The taxes are no picnic though.

Your post is a bit confusing. An independent contractor typically works under a 1099 tax form. Consultants may or may not depending on the contract they engage in with the company they are consulting for. A third option is working for a company like Volt or SAIC that "contracts with" companies but you would be a W2 employee of Volt or SAIC.
Companies are usually reluctant to hire 1099s because it opens up litigation possibilities for them.

The W2 would be an employee and they have to take out half of your social security obligation. Self employed is 100% of course.

Companies are usually reluctant to hire 1099s because it opens up litigation possibilities for them.

It certainly never slowed me down. I can think of maybe one company I worked with -- out of 40 to 50 -- that went the W-2 route in preference to the 1099, all in the same industry.

Forum List

Back