Consumerism Anaerobics

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
When the human brain performs activities related to prioritization decision-making (as it relates to goal-directed behaviors), it retrieves stored memories relevant to their expectations. These expectation 'thresholds' create fluctuations in blood-oxygen flow based on the brain's perception of the labor associated with the goal in question.

When someone suffers from OCD or ADD, their brain experiences impairments in prioritization decision-making. This leads to erratic fluctuations in blood-oxygen flow to the brain, creating stress or even nausea. This can feel uncontrollable and very disorienting.

In our modern society of consumerism-directed goods-attainment competitiveness (i.e., shopping mall big sale day crowd rush during Christmas or Black Friday), people are engaging their brains constantly and requiring themselves to make goal-directed shopping behaviors very quickly or even competitively.

It's no wonder that people often claim about feeling stress during the shopping-heavy holiday season.

Such regular traffic of specific stress-catalyzing mental behavior inevitably demands that people ensure their bodies are properly hydrated and relaxed for their shopping tasks.

This explains the odd popularity of over-the-counter sleeping pills and muscle-relaxing cold medicines such as Nyquil in our modern age.

As long as these blanketing behaviors are modulated and coordinated, a little extra dose of V8 or Vitamin C pills may just be what the doctor ordered this Christmas.

:eusa_shifty:

21279.jpg

I think the otc sleep aides are more about people trying to get more done and having to work more to earn what their parents did. Past generations worked a lot less for a lot more than we have to now. When I lived in Texas and was working security I was having to work 56+ hour weeks just to pay rent and bills with nothing left over as to savings or leisure time. I'd get home and sleep until my next shift. If I'd lost even more time in-between, shutting myself down to get needed rest may have become something I'd opt to do.

As to consumerism proper, when we buy something we're exercising a choice and demonstrating our ability to control our lives. For many of us forced to work lousy jobs just to stay indoors and not be forced to be homeless, we feel out of control. Buying things no matter what they are is regaining some bit of control over our fates. Unfortunately, often enough what we then buy is useless and only putting us more in the financial hole.

I am a 64-year-old man. About three years ago, I started taking a couple Advil before bedtime because I was experiencing a mild irritation somewhere in my urinary system. I'd wake up a couple times a night feeling like I had to pee; I'd get up and go, then back to bed. Just a minor irritation.

I also made it a point not to drinking anything after 7 pm or so, unless I was dehydrated from exercise and actually thirsty.

I noticed right away that the waking up at night STOPPED. Now I sleep right through EVERY night. The only time I wake up and have to pee is when I over-sleep occasionaly on weekends, and I have to get up around 0700. Other than that - nothing.

P.S. My doctor told me that the "active ingredient" in NyQuil was discovered to have no effect on cold symptoms several years ago, but they keep on advertising and selling the stuff, claiming that it is effective for reducing cold symptoms.

Forum List

Back