Consumerism: Defenders/Doctors(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Does consumerism (e.g., Burger King, Wall Street, Facebook, Apple, Wal-Mart, IKEA, etc., etc.) feel inherently shallow?

Signing off,

eagle.jpg

====

"Every statement is false," Steve Rogers (Captain America) told Satan (the adversary of mankind and God). Satan wondered why Captain America quoted such an odd notation in linguistics-logic. Captain America wanted to use the 'Liar's Paradox' to convey the idea that language and communication itself could be used to express social optimism about uncertainty and doubt. The Liar's Paradox --- "Every statement is false" --- is a paradoxically self-contradictory linguistic statement which is neither true nor false (since, of course, if it were true the statement itself would be false, and if it were false, then it would be impossible to present it as an intelligible statement!). Satan was perplexed and realized Captain America was trying to use logic to argue about the virtue of democracy and patriotism.

"Well, perhaps logic and language reveal good faith in social infrastructures, Captain America, but you have to admit that humans invent slang-words to express the fact that vandalism and theft are reactions to oppression and claustrophobia," Satan retorted to Steve Rogers (Captain America). Now, Rogers was a bit confused and wondered how he'd respond well so as to defend the inherent virtue of patriotic sentiments (e.g., the Declaration of Independence). Captain America decided to debate with Satan about the modern phenomenon of Facebook (the globally-popular social networking website co-founded by pioneer Mark Zuckerberg).

CAPTAIN AMERICA: Facebook is a harmless modern toy!
SATAN: Yet, it promotes self-indulgence and childish silliness...
CAPTAIN AMERICA: Facebook is not a 'serious trophy' but it's democracy-promotional.
SATAN: I can concede that Facebook promotes happiness regarding friendship.
CAPTAIN AMERICA: Sure it does; you can share and view personal photos easily.
SATAN: Yes, it's an 'online yearbook' of sorts.
CAPTAIN AMERICA: I used to love high-school yearbooks!
SATAN: I didn't; they promoted a childish fascination with schoolyard-ethos.
CAPTAIN AMERICA: I can concede that 'schoolyard-ethos' sometimes means racism.
SATAN: Yes, many schools have bullies and bigots preying on meek/minority students!
CAPTAIN AMERICA: We have to keep faith in civil structures (e.g., Facebook).
SATAN: Something about capitalism/consumerism just feels like 'junk-food.'
CAPTAIN AMERICA: I think you're referring to 'cholesterol-culture' (e.g., Burger King).
SATAN: Maybe we should promote Olive Garden (the Italian-cuisine franchise).
CAPTAIN AMERICA: Yes! Olive Garden offers Americans a convenient taste of Italy!

Captain America realized he agreed with Satan about the value of Olive Garden, but he also knew that's where the two would part as well, since of course, Satan would try to sell Olive Garden as a 'hub' for sin, vice, gluttony, and laziness, while Captain America would try to market Olive Garden as a 'site' for great culture-exchange, cuisine-hospitality, consumerism-hygiene, and democratic fineries. Satan went about looking for ethnic groups (majorities and minorities) that held grudges against Italians and Italian-Americans (to generate complicated controversy regarding the social value of a distinctly-Italian franchise!), while Captain America urged politicians to praise Olive Garden for its general cultural hospitality(!).

Finally, Captain America and Satan stood on opposite ends of a barren battlefield. Satan was ready to use his fiery-breath and pitchfork to skewer Captain America, and Captain America was prepared to use his mighty-shield and tranquilizer-darts to subdue Satan (the adversary of mankind). "Why do you want to fight me, Satan?" Steve Rogers (Captain America) asked the Devil one last time before fighting him, and Satan explained that any good value of civilization requires militant defense. Captain America realized there was no use arguing with Satan who simply held democracy and capitalism in contempt, so he subdued Satan in combat and then declared Olive Garden to be a true generator of teamwork!

THE END

====

:dance:

cap3.jpg

Forum List

Back