Cops can now search your car without a warrant in Pa.

Plasmaball

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2010

The split-decision from the Supreme Court allows police to conduct searches of cars based only on probable cause — that is, as long as the officers conducting the search have a reason to believe there are illegal goods or evidence of a crime hidden inside the vehicle.

Unlike that other stupid thread about the woman who said she wanted to kill herself.

The story above is a real concern and a breach of our 4th amendment, regardless if it has become law.

That's the PA supreme court, not the SCOTUS. This will be pushed up to them and hopefully overturned.

Typical statist judges making it easier for the police state to form.

The split-decision from the Supreme Court allows police to conduct searches of cars based only on probable cause — that is, as long as the officers conducting the search have a reason to believe there are illegal goods or evidence of a crime hidden inside the vehicle.

Unlike that other stupid thread about the woman who said she wanted to kill herself.

The story above is a real concern and a breach of our 4th amendment, regardless if it has become law.

Yaaawnnn......Sounds like Texas to me.... (Make sure you get at least into 30 seconds when the cop-cam catches the body cavity search)

I think I'll stay in New Jersey where it's safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaaawnnn......Sounds like Texas to me.... (Make sure you get at least into 30 seconds when the cop-cam catches the body cavity search)

I think I'll stay in New Jersey where it's safe.

till jersey decides to do this. This is part of the problem....So much is left up to opinion for the Police.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Carroll v. United States (1925), the Supreme Court has in general held that there is a lesser expectation of privacy with regard to one’s personal vehicle, in conjunction with the justification of exigency, where a vehicle search absent a warrant, predicated solely on probable cause, is Constitutional.

The ruling by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is consistent with that case law.

They still have to have probable cause to search your car. They just can't stop you and search it for no reason. This is pretty much the way it already is in most of the country. Pennsylvania just added extra protections in their state at some point.

Since Carroll v. United States (1925), the Supreme Court has in general held that there is a lesser expectation of privacy with regard to one’s personal vehicle, in conjunction with the justification of exigency, where a vehicle search absent a warrant, predicated solely on probable cause, is Constitutional.

The ruling by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is consistent with that case law.

Yeah i read that as well. Its still not a good thing regardless of case law. this is allowing a very loose " probable" cause to happen.

Except that has been the reality for ever. If a cop asked you to allow a search and you refused they just held you till they got permission. Further if a dog activated on your car or the cop claimed the smelled something they could search.

The Courts have been clear for years your car is fair game for cops.

Now I disagree but it is not new nor some vast rightwing conspiracy.

Except that has been the reality for ever. If a cop asked you to allow a search and you refused they just held you till they got permission. Further if a dog activated on your car or the cop claimed the smelled something they could search.

The Courts have been clear for years your car is fair game for cops.

Now I disagree but it is not new nor some vast rightwing conspiracy.

Who the fuck is claiming this?

Forum List

Back